Jigs For Seabass?

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
So The past few years on my boat we've done really good with Sea Bass on the local reef. When targeting them specifically we pretty much use a double dropper loop rig with bank sinker at the bottom with clams. When targeting fluke in the same area we can't escape them and get plenty as by-catch. The cost of clams adds up but produces easy limits of good sized fish. Next season I want to get better using jigs. I anticipate losing quite a few on snags so I'm not looking to spend money on higher end fancy jigs that will end up costing more than clams.

Should I try just standard diamond jigs, hammered, or what? Those of you that fish jigs are you tipping them with gulp, clams, squid or just using them straight up?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
ESLures Started to use these last year, & they worked really good. Mostly light spinning tackle, as they only make two sizes & the largest is 1.6oz. Used them straight up.
John

Reactions: Chinacat

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Spring and Neap tide. What depths are you fishing in?

I anticipate losing quite a few on snags so I'm not looking to spend money on higher end fancy jigs that will end up costing more than clams.
When fluke fishing you're saying that you catch sea bass as by catch. You're obviously drifting.
Possibly anchoring and fishing the bow will decrease the odds of getting you hung up.

2549163-yellow-grouper-jig-lure-deep-water-lead-head.jpg

Flukinit

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
I as well as several guys i know use as small as a diamond jig you can get down. Go real light with a spinner outfit 10lb braid to give you as little resistance as possible through the water column and have fun.

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I as well as several guys i know use as small as a diamond jig you can get down. Go real light with a spinner outfit 10lb braid to give you as little resistance as possible through the water column and have fun.
Let's make it a plan to try that out together when the season opens😎👍

Hi Mitch,
Solid advice from the other anglers posting. I too employ a plain or hammered style diamond jig, 4 0z. or less depending upon the current/drift speed where I am fishing. As noted above, no bait of Gulp on the jig but a teaser hook with Gulp about 6" above the jig.

Also, as John noted, it will improve the quality of the fish you take as compared with most baits. Having said that, I do have a few "secret baits" I use from time to time that will match the jig. Be sure to ask me about it next time you are on my boat!

Need proof of the diamond jig's deadliness on big knot heads? Here's a shot of my friend Paul who nailed this beautiful 5# fish off Montauk on a plain silver diamond.

73sbh.jpg

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Hi Mitch,
Solid advice from the other anglers posting. I too employ a plain or hammered style diamond jig, 4 0z. or less depending upon the current/drift speed where I am fishing. As noted above, no bait of Gulp on the jig but a teaser hook with Gulp about 6" above the jig.

Also, as John noted, it will improve the quality of the fish you take as compared with most baits. Having said that, I do have a few "secret baits" I use from time to time that will match the jig. Be sure to ask me about it next time you are on my boat!

Need proof of the diamond jig's deadliness on big knot heads? Here's a shot of my friend Paul who nailed this beautiful 5# fish off Montauk on a plain silver diamond.

View attachment 28981
WOW
Beautiful fish Mike. Looks like an awesome day as well.
If that doesn't convince me to start fishing jigs, nothing will 😎👍
And I absolutely can't wait to be out with you on your boat again
Happy New Year

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Shimano lucanus flat fall jig. Very easy to use, drop it to the bottom and very slowly reel up 10 turns then drop back down and repeat. I like diamond jiggs too but some days that jig is on fire and out produces. Give a shot.
Thanks!
I'll give them a shot

Reactions: Tigashrk

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
How about something like Spro? They make a wide variety
of colors and weight sizes. I'm really favoring the traditional
style jig head that Spro offers, very affordable and I see the
eye placement and the type of jigging that's going to be done
will work well for sea-bass. In my opinion. For my liking. :)

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
You can find lots of imitation Lucanus jigs on Ebay and AliExpress. Work exactly the same at a much lower cost.
Yes!
The main purpose of my wanting to use jigs more was to save $$$ on bait/clams. The pieces I fish are no doubt going to steal jigs so balancing cost vs effectiveness is a definite factor

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James