Just a cousin today

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Wasn't sure if after catching only one snapper of livelining size (and rest assured I took three "good'uns" for the barbie on the way back in) and with the wind and chop picking up, if I would have any luck. Those of you old enough may remember the opening of "Victory at Sea." (I think I will be adding the DVD to Santa's list this year.)
Wind against tide in my "spot" and in 15 minutes I netted a 22" blue. I would have preferred another weak, but SWMBO applies a lite mayo and Italian bread crumb covering and pops them in the oven. Fresh, its actually quite good. No jokes please about cooking them with a brick, throwing the blue out and eating the brick. You really gotta try them this way.

22in blue on snapper Setp2021.jpg

TonySmjc

Well-Known Angler
Jan 25, 2020
Highland beach fla at least in my mind
Wasn't sure if after catching only one snapper of livelining size (and rest assured I took three "good'uns" for the barbie on the way back in) and with the wind and chop picking up, if I would have any luck. Those of you old enough may remember the opening of "Victory at Sea." (I think I will be adding the DVD to Santa's list this year.)
Wind against tide in my "spot" and in 15 minutes I netted a 22" blue. I would have preferred another weak, but SWMBO applies a lite mayo and Italian bread crumb covering and pops them in the oven. Fresh, its actually quite good. No jokes please about cooking them with a brick, throwing the blue out and eating the brick. You really gotta try them this way.

View attachment 38317
Fresh well taken care of blue fish is very good eating

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Am I losing it ? Why do I so vividly recall a warship plowing through heavy seas on a TV show intro??
You are not losing it, Pequa. During the course of the show they did use a couple of different opening scenes.

I too am 70 and as a young boy I vividly recall those shots of the battleship crashing through those monstrous waves! Very stirring, or as my daughter used to call it in subsequent years "a spirited ride"!

In fact after watching the show, whenever my Dad and I would go fishing on a particularly rough day we used to call it a "Victory at Sea day"!!:)

Reactions: jpd

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
You are not losing it, Pequa. During the course of the show they did use a couple of different opening scenes.

I too am 70 and as a young boy I vividly recall those shots of the battleship crashing through those monstrous waves! Very stirring, or as my daughter used to call it in subsequent years "a spirited ride"!

In fact after watching the show, whenever my Dad and I would go fishing on a particularly rough day we used to call it a "Victory at Sea day"!!:)
I have the DVD collectors edition set. I only remember the beginning that I posted. There were lots of scenes of rough seas. There were several films taken during the infamous Typhoon Cobra that put 4 destroyers on the bottom and killed more men than any major battle that we were involved in during the war.

TonySmjc

Well-Known Angler
Jan 25, 2020
Highland beach fla at least in my mind
Bluefish before they start eating bunker are really good, my wife is Italian, she cooks them up with sauce, tomatoes and peppers, over a bed of rice, some good italian bread, delicious.
My grandmother used to make a white chowder out of them when I was a kid
Don’t know how an Italian off the boat figured that one out
But man was it good

she made stock from the heads
Then made a thick chowder heavy with potato n onions
Added the fillets in last and broke em up

no one ever turned down seconds of thirds

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021

View attachment 38317
They make Bluefish so tasty at Greek diners. Wish I had their recipes.

sytheteacher

New Angler
Aug 31, 2020
Years ago my mother would make a fish soup using the head and all the bones and the place it in the refrigerator and the next day all the fish fat would coagulate on the top of the soup. We would that the fish fat that coagulated into a jelly and spread it on a piece of toasted bread..

• Wow
Reactions: MOJOE

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT