Just a schoolie each

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Probably the coldest day that I have ever fished, especially while standing shin deep in the ocean. This afternoon at low tide buddy and I got a 20" schoolie each on tins and that was it. Saw only one other schoolie caught but only half a dozen other nuts on the cold and windy beach (Northerly so easy cast, lol) which was devoid of weed and little sweep. Waves under 2' as the wind flattened the ocean (close to shore.) A LOT of bunker being feasted upon just past the first breaker, and gannets diving a mile or less out. My only other catch was a pink A17 tin with a green teaser in a rather odd rig and very recently lost. I now know that while I will deer hunt and enjoy it in lower temperatures, 34 is my limit for surfcasting.

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
Thanksgiving Morning

I always make sure to pay my respects.

The American tradition of striped bass fishing dates
back to the first mention of the fish in 1607, when
John Smith noted the unbelievable abundance of
stripers in his journal upon arrival at Jamestown.
The first Thanksgiving feast at Plymouth featured
STRIPED BASS. :)

Change to party boat black fishing.

Reactions: Chevy1

Chevy1

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Islip
Thanksgiving Morning

I have fished on Thanksgiving morning for the past 20 years minus the last five years not once did any of my group catch a thing always the week before we caught. But we did it faithfully and ended the morning with a cold beer 🍺

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Thanksgiving Morning

John Smith found the "basse" to be a "fine, fat fish" and his log comment on the abundance was, “I, myself, at the turning of the tide have seen such multitudes that it seemed to me that one might go over their backs dry shod.”

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I have fished on Thanksgiving morning for the past 20 years minus the last five years not once did any of my group catch a thing always the week before we caught. But we did it faithfully and ended the morning with a cold beer 🍺
Judging from the action past the breakers there did seem to be more fish passing through. But this cold snap ? That could be it. And I have only gone for deer by late November, never bass.

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I have some time coming to me next week. I will be fishing from Shinnecock East and around down to Cupsogue. Each year I find some fish, but recent years mostly schoolies. Oh, as long as we do not get snow!

Last edited:

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I just looked it up. Approximately 15-18 fish, small, at Cupsogue open beach on a 1/2 oz bucktail with a white 6 inch grub.

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
HUH WUT!

I have fished on Thanksgiving morning for the past 20 years minus the last five years not once did any of my group catch
a thing always the week before we caught. But we did it faithfully and ended the morning with a cold beer 🍺

New York Fishing - It's up until New Years and then it freezes. ;)

SpeciesOpen SeasonDaily Limit
Statewide Angling Regulations
Trout—Brook, Brown and Rainbow and hybrids of these species; and SplakeApril 1 through Oct 155
Lake TroutApril 1 through Oct 153
Landlocked (LL)/ Atlantic SalmonApril 1 through Oct 153

Chevy1

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Islip
HUH WUT!

Trout—Brook, Brown and Rainbow and hybrids of these species; and SplakeApril 1 through Oct 155

I was only talking Striped Bass surf fishing on Thanksgiving, I freshwater fish all year unless it’s frozen.

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
HUH WUT!

Nice video. Thank you!

Son of a sailor

New Angler
Sep 22, 2020
I've fished Thanksgiving and the Friday after with my brother and niece as guests on my boat for last 6 or 7 years. Used spoons, Mojos and jigs. Always left JI as sun started to peak over eastern horizon. Fished Tobay to Long Beach Always did well when weather cooperated. Nothing like watching the gannets diving by the hundreds all around your boat while the bass are driving up the bait. Going upstate to deer hunt on my brothers poperty then coming back home for thanksgiving and getting our bass on. Best time of year!
Unfortunately broke my arm mid October and missed it all this year. Sitting on couch getting fat while listening to geese honking while they fly over my house at sunrise making me crazy! Thinking there's gonna be an extra couple deer,ducks and bass around waiting for me next year! Good luck and best holiday wishes to all the other outdoor enthusiasts on this site.

P.S.
my brother and niece came down last week. Gave them the keys. They had a great time fishing then pulled my boat and winterized it for me. Good thing people appreciate the good times together. I was great full they were able to do that for me.

Reactions: pequa1 and WhatKnot

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
I've fished Thanksgiving and the Friday after with my brother and niece as guests on my boat for last 6 or 7 years. Used spoons, Mojos and jigs. Always left JI as sun started to peak over eastern horizon. Fished Tobay to Long Beach Always did well when weather cooperated. Nothing like watching the gannets diving by the hundreds all around your boat while the bass are driving up the bait. Going upstate to deer hunt on my brothers poperty then coming back home for thanksgiving and getting our bass on. Best time of year!
Unfortunately broke my arm mid October and missed it all this year. Sitting on couch getting fat while listening to geese honking while they fly over my house at sunrise making me crazy! Thinking there's gonna be an extra couple deer,ducks and bass around waiting for me next year! Good luck and best holiday wishes to all the other outdoor enthusiasts on this site.

P.S.
my brother and niece came down last week. Gave them the keys. They had a great time fishing then pulled my boat and winterized it for me. Good thing people appreciate the good times together. I was great full they were able to do that for me.
That’s how Family should be.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julesbefishin