Landscaping

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
When my finger heals I’m going to finish the hill in my yard. Have to cover the bottom half in landscaping fabric, stake it down, then cover it in mulch, the use mulch spray (basically hairspray for mulch).

Reactions: Chevy1

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
When my finger heals I’m going to finish the hill in my yard. Have to cover the bottom half in landscaping fabric, stake it down, then cover it in mulch, the use mulch spray (basically hairspray for mulch).
Explain please why do you wanna cover mulch in hairspray

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
very nice - did you put that in or have it put in?
The Bluestone pathway I put in.
I have re-done the entire landscape over the last 15 years. And as you guys who do landscape know, it never ends. Most of the work I have done myself, or with the help of a day laborer or two. There were a few things I personally didn't do, other than the design work for it. I'll post some pictures later.

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
I'll begin to show some of the landscape work I've done to the place. I have totally transformed the property from what it was to what is is today. I'll start with the views below.

When we 1st moved in there was, and still is a deck in the back. It is approx. 10'x18' I think. At the end of the deck towards the front of the house the property dropped off and there were 3 or 4 steps off the deck down to the ground. In the photos below you can see some very large boulders on the left. I brought those in and formed a big circle type shape. I then backfilled filled it, compacted it, added approx. 8" of crushed stone and added approx. 250sf of Pennsylvania Bluestone. This extended the outdoor living space and it was now at the same elevation as the deck. You can walk from the deck unto the patio.

I also added the smaller lower level boulders to create another planting area, and finally the river rock below. There was Pachysandra where the river rock is now and it was a PITA high maintenance keeping weed free, etc.

I wanted some privacy but did not want to close the area in with a fence. I designed and built myself the screening shall I call it that surrounds the patio. It allows air in, and between that and the plantings and hanging baskets it does the job.

Last edited:

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
So in my last episode/posting of how to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on landscaping, I explained and showed some views of how I increased the outdoor living space by installing a raised patio. Those views were from looking up at it. These shots are from the patio.

First, here's the deck that was existing when we bought the place.

The backdrop of lattice and partition wall I made and installed, as well as the raised gardens to the left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chevy1 and MOJOE

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
Now here are some views of the deck, and expanded to include the new patio. Keep in mind that the area where the patio is now was anywhere from 3' - 6' below the elevation of the deck.3662366336643665

Staff online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoppkorv