Life in the sound

flounderbound

New Angler
Feb 17, 2019
Has anyone ventured out in the western sound for flounders or blackfish? The surface water temps are around 44 degrees. I`ve heard of some stripers around but am more interested in the bottom species.

Reactions: BennyV

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
A buddy sent me a pic of some fluke caught in traps by Orient - a good sign to me. Had a lot of tog life Saturday in Peconic Bay but no keepers (25 to 30 shorts for a friend and I).

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder if they will head out into the Long Island Sound. The fluke just are not out there in numbers since Hurricane Sandy. Seems we got less fluke and more Black Sea Bass.

I doubt that was a coincidence.

My opinion only, but I know friends of mine continued to do well in the Sound in the Riverhead/Northville area til about 2017 (so a few years after Sandy). Around the same time, the fluke bite in Peconic started a precipitous fall - not sure what the root cause is (warmer water, less squid moving in, etc.) but if it is warmer water, it may make sense the western Sound was affected prior to the Eastern Sound....

AllHands

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
My opinion only, but I know friends of mine continued to do well in the Sound in the Riverhead/Northville area til about 2017 (so a few years after Sandy). Around the same time, the fluke bite in Peconic started a precipitous fall - not sure what the root cause is (warmer water, less squid moving in, etc.) but if it is warmer water, it may make sense the western Sound was affected prior to the Eastern Sound....
Hey John. Kept my boat by Dr. John and next to Mike (Super Crabby) until 2019. Definitely wasn’t because a lack of bait at the Shoals it just seemed the fish stopped showing up. Prior, you could count on a good run of fish in June. Skinner always found them but it seems like from his videos (and yours) he is concentrating his fluke fishing on the south side more these days. Anyhow, my two cents.…Have a great season!

Reactions: NoFlukenName

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Plenty of life in the western sound now.The usual species and gator blues are now present Yesterday I was greeted by roughly 20 dolphins at Hempstead Harbor.
It's strange how you guys have those gators. We haven't seen them in the mood sound area yet? In fact we haven't seen them in years. Any word on fluke your way.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar