Line and knot testing

TFT

New Angler
Dec 23, 2018
I guess what I asked was a little vague ..... I would be interested in knowing if there were certain knots that were stronger when using 100# test mono that may not be as strong when using, for example 15# test.

Mono and Flouro have different chemical/physical properties. I'd love to know if this affected knot strength when compared to mono.

Great topic ..... cool machine !! (y)
So you have gone into an area that has peaked my curiosity recently. The chemical makeup of fluorocarbon suggests that a slow process when tying and crimping it may be beneficial to a stronger connection.

We recently finished testing several hundred crimped connections. Different tools, materials, and crimps.

We think that slowly crimping fluorocarbon may lead to a stronger connection as the material wants to fracture based on how its actually produced. More testing is needed to see if this hypothesis is true or not.

It could be that slowly cinching the knot using fluorocarbon may be a better alternative?

And yes, it would be interesting to see if some knots test better than others at certain stated and ABS ratings.

That - is a great deal of work!

Reactions: Capt13

TFT

New Angler
Dec 23, 2018
That testing machine is cool! Great tool for a tackle nerd. What is holding the line on the other side? The side away from the hook? What is the maximum amount of pull that the machine can produce?
Hi,

It has split bollards on both ends of the machine. The load cell is attached to the fixed bollard (the one you see in the picture). The other bollard is on a screw and moves.

I had a new 250 pound load cell installed in the machine in May of 2018.

It can be very dangerous. I had a piece of 50lb fluorocarbon break and it broke the safety cover and nearly sent me to the hospital for stitches (crazy glue does wonders for thin cuts).

Any line over 100lbs and all spectra lines sound like gun fire when they break

The video shows the tool in action -

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Hi,

It has split bollards on both ends of the machine. The load cell is attached to the fixed bollard (the one you see in the picture). The other bollard is on a screw and moves.

I had a new 250 pound load cell installed in the machine in May of 2018.

It can be very dangerous. I had a piece of 50lb fluorocarbon break and it broke the safety cover and nearly sent me to the hospital for stitches (crazy glue does wonders for thin cuts).

Any line over 100lbs and all spectra lines sound like gun fire when they break

The video shows the tool in action -

Very cool I heard lots of creaking going on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II