Listen to Old Mud in one of our best podcast yet!

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Hello All!

Check out our latest episode featuring our very own Don Sproul aka Old Mud, as he discusses his life as a fisherman. He talks about the changes he;s seen over the years as well as some amazing stories. Imagine that Japanese ships would buy bluefin tuna right from the fishermen. Don also discusses what it was, what it is now, and the threats he see's ahead.

I know Don for decades and he's one of the finest people you'd ever want to meet and this podcast is great. I sure learned a lot and I thank Don for the opportunity.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Hello All!

Check out our latest episode featuring our very own Don Sproul aka Old Mud, as he discusses his life as a fisherman. He talks about the changes he;s seen over the years as well as some amazing stories. Imagine that Japanese ships would buy bluefin tuna right from the fishermen. Don also discusses what it was, what it is now, and the threats he see's ahead.

I know Don for decades and he's one of the finest people you'd ever want to meet and this podcast is great. I sure learned a lot and I thank Don for the opportunity.

A lesson from the Jedi Master himself !!!

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
DON has wrung more salt water outta his socks than some of us have sailed on!! :)

I will listen to this later for sure

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Why does he have salt water in his socks? Maybe we should get together and send him a fresh pair of Xtratufs. And some dry socks.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Why does he have salt water in his socks? Maybe we should get together and send him a fresh pair of Xtratufs. And some dry socks.
EXACTLY!! My man handlined ...no rod...reel...boots , keep the overhead low

But I would like to know why with demand high and regulations strict did the bluefin price collapse the last 2 years? At least to the fisherman anyway

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine

But I would like to know why with demand high and regulations strict did the bluefin price collapse the last 2 years? At least to the fisherman anyway
@Old Mud has more than just a few comments on the market price craziness...

A very big "Thank You" to both George and Don. This was an extremely interesting and informative podcast. Personally I love hearing and reading all I can find about our local fisheries throughout New England. I think the older I get the more I enjoy comparing my own life's experiences with others who have a similar passion for both the sport and the industry. Please bring Don back ASAP!

Recently another friend sent me a link to a couple of You Tube videos that were a documentary on the Fishing Fleet out of Gloucester It was narrated by a fellow known as Ron Gilson who apparently was involved in providing insurance for many of the waterman in the era from 1940-1955. These videos concentrated mainly on this time frame but also provided some additional earlier history of the region and the overall development of the fishing fleet, boat styles and designs, and fishing methods. Another good set of videos for the fishing history buffs out there. It was titled "Gloucester's Golden Age of Fishing", two parts about an hour long each..

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Hey Don, you have always been nothing but a gentleman and a fisherman since the day we first met on noreast. I have been getting some great feedback on this one, and it's well deserved. Your story is a great one as only you can tell! Thanks for being my guest, and my friend!

George

Reactions: Old Mud

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn

Oh boy when i get a chance i will try to get just a very little bit of that question answered. A few paragraphs would help i think. I may need a beer before i start though. I guess i have talked about that so much that my doctor asks me about that every time i go in there.

Reactions: movetheboat

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James