Looks like the last Buffalo hunt may be happening…..

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine

From the Matt's Link:

If your club is currently in the planning stages for a 2022 mako tournament, you can stop right there as there will be no mako harvest allowed along the East Coast for the next two years.

The United States and other countries from around the world tackled management challenges for Atlantic tunas and sharks at the 2021 annual meeting of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT) that concluded on November 23.

On the plus side, commission members adopted a measure for Western Atlantic bluefin tuna with a total catch limit of 2,726 metric tons resulting in a quota increase of more than 5% for U.S. fishermen. This increased fishing opportunity for bluefin tuna is consistent with scientific advice allowing for a moderate increase in catch while having a high probability of avoiding overfishing and providing for the sustainability of the fishery.

According to NOAA Fisheries, ICCAT will continue working to finalize its management strategy evaluation for bluefin tuna. Those holding an HMS Permit can expect to see a series of stakeholder workshops scheduled sometime in 2022.

The bad news coming out of ICAAT is that a two-year retention ban is being implemented starting in 2022 on North Atlantic shortfin mako shark which ICCAT called “overfished.” According to NOAA Fisheries, the ban on mako harvest also contains strong provisions to improve data reporting, and particularly, the catch reporting of live releases and fish discarded dead, by all ICCAT parties.

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
I cannot see anything that would change the status of the Shortfin Mako in the next 2 years so my thought is that this is a wrap on that fishery for many years to come.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I cannot see anything that would change the status of the Shortfin Mako in the next 2 years so my thought is that this is a wrap on that fishery for many years to come.
Hope you're wrong, but you could be correct. Keep in mind that they shut down Grand Banks commercial cod fishing back in '92 and it still hasn't rebounded enough to open it back up...

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Spoke with some friends who enjoy the offshore scene and USED to shark fish more, of course looking for a mako. To say bummed out, is an understatement. I told them to help tame the sharks harassing the bunker pods outside the inlet, they were not amused!!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Like 20 or so years ago when swordfish longlining became popular and eating mako as "mako" became haute cuisine.

When's the last time you bought swordfish that was actually shark, or eaten it at restaurant and it was shark? Not tough to tell the difference...

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Like 20 or so years ago when swordfish longlining became popular and eating mako as "mako" became haute cuisine.

When's the last time you bought swordfish that was actually shark, or eaten it at restaurant and it was shark? Not tough to tell the difference...
20 years When one was already over 50 it seems like yesterday. Still expecting another striper moratorium as well.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csdep1