MAHI-MAHI & C-Bass

Area: Debs/Jones

Jun 20, 2020
Oceanside, NY
It seems like your plan panned out for you. I knew you guys had to get back to those Mahi! You always find a way. Can you expand on how/what you chummed them up on?
Hey George, yes we were determined to get those mahi one way or another! We were throwing handfuls of very small, shredded up bunker and mixed in spearing. We threw it around the pot to keep them in the area. At one point we threw out the chum and a shark came up and scared the sh*t out of us and the mahi! lol. We used small shiner lures like kastmasters and deadly dicks. The old faithful killie worked best tho! I think I was more impressed with the sea bass on the slow pitch jigs. We limited out in 2 drifts in under an hour!

Reactions: MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
@WhaleheadFishing Thanks for that info. I've always found them jumping on the first thing you throw and then they seem to smarten up fast. When offshore fishing we usually tie one up off of the stern, as it attracts others. It wasn't that long ago when you would never see a mahi there.

Speaking of sharks around . . .I saw a number of them were hooked up there the other day. At the same time, I saw a guy diving in the same exact area for a swim! I'm in no way afraid of sharks, but those sharks seem pretty aggressive.

Reactions: WhaleheadFishing
Jun 20, 2020
Oceanside, NY
@WhaleheadFishing Thanks for that info. I've always found them jumping on the first thing you throw and then they seem to smarten up fast. When offshore fishing we usually tie one up off of the stern, as it attracts others. It wasn't that long ago when you would never see a mahi there.

Speaking of sharks around . . .I saw a number of them were hooked up there the other day. At the same time, I saw a guy diving in the same exact area for a swim! I'm in no way afraid of sharks, but those sharks seem pretty aggressive.
we tried for cobia under the pods on monday afternoon, all we had were sharks and bluefish. More sharks than bluefish which is crazy but they are everywhere! Hopefully in the coming years it doesnt present a problem like it had in Florida.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823