Maine Cod C&R: You'd Think I Was Fluke Fishing...

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Still playing C&R with cod, awaiting the arrival of my striped nemesis. Been out 5 times and have caught over 50 cod, but only 2 would have been "Keepahs", > 21".

About 3/4 of the fish caught have been less 15" so the optimist in me says "Hey, that's good for the future!!" Then the pessimist in me kicks in, "You're starting to sound like your LI friends and fluke who always say, 'Lots of shorts, but that means next year will be better!'"

Maybe time to go after flatties, and try to catch the elusive winter flounder? Tide is good today, may give it a shot...

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
Still playing C&R with cod, awaiting the arrival of my striped nemesis. Been out 5 times and have caught over 50 cod, but only 2 would have been "Keepahs", > 21".

About 3/4 of the fish caught have been less 15" so the optimist in me says "Hey, that's good for the future!!" Then the pessimist in me kicks in, "You're starting to sound like your LI friends and fluke who always say, 'Lots of shorts, but that means next year will be better!'"

Maybe time to go after flatties, and try to catch the elusive winter flounder? Tide is good today, may give it a shot...
Winter flatties, oh those were the days. With NY limit of 2 at 12" almost doesn't pay. Our season ends at the end of this month ( May 30th).

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
Has anyone heard of anybody getting any winter flounder from Mountauk to Raritan Bay along the south shore? I am tired of saying "what a shame".
I heard of some winter flounder coming up in Moriches Bay by buoy 11 and the coast guard station. Best month for me was always June but since our season ends May 30 last week of the month I feel would be the best.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Well gave it the full try for over an hour today. Chummed, pounded, bounced the sinker and I even didn't have a green crab play with my bait, and I thought that was an impossibility...

• Sad
Reactions: MOJOE

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Ocean right now is 44°F, but I was fishing the ebb just downtide of a shallow mudflat and had 55°F temps. Water was warmer than the air.

Reactions: MOJOE

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Better morning today, 2 "keepahs" @ 22" IF we were able to keep 'em out of 17 cod caught. Also had a dozen or so tiny pollock that went back.

Waiting for bass.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer43