Midcoast Maine Striper Report: A Multi-generational Event...

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Woke up to a beautiful sunrise and glass-like conditions so I just HAD to go bass fishing. Decide to skip my harbor, as the action the past few days has been like playing "Whack-A-Mole", trying to figure out where the pods of feeding stripers will pop up next for their 30 second (not exaggerating) blitzes. I failed miserably yesterday so I felt it was time for a change of scenery and headed over to another river that is close by.

Got to the mouth of the cove I intended to fish and on my first cast connected with a 23" fish. Was quite pleased, but my worst fears were confirmed as that must have been the only fish in that area and went for 3 more drifts without any action. Well no worries, time to go up the cove, although a CC that arrived when I did had already returned from deep in the cove so that didn't bode well. Maybe he doesn't know what he's doing.

Went to favorite spot #1 and tossed out a white Finn-S, the lure of choice for this spot. Nothing doing, but before I end this drift time to toss out the popper, BAM!!! Connected with a 21" fish. Next drift was fruitless so time for spot 2.

First cast in spot 2, BAM , WTF??? An 8" striped bass??? Didn't even know they migrated when they were that small and this river can't have striped bass spawning by virtue of its geology. If this keeps up I've got to move again. Toss out the popper again and BAM!!!!! This time it was a 26" fish, go figure. Ended the morning smiling with 10 fish, my first double digit outing in over 2 weeks, with 3 fish less than 20", and 7 from 20 to 26".

A fine morning of striper sport. Didn't even mind the unforecasted rain that popped up...

1595855827546.png

Last edited:

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
I thought I read once that you do have stripers spawning up in some of the maine rivers? Kennebunk ?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I thought I read once that you do have stripers spawning up in some of the maine rivers? Kennebunk ?
That is true. That's why I'm guessing it's a Kennebec spawned fish, although the fisheries biologists say that fish remain in their natal watershed util they're 2 years old. The river I fished has not connections with any other river until it empties into the Gulf of Maine.

spcharlton

New Angler
Aug 3, 2020
I’ve been swinging and missing on anything but bait this year. Went on a friends boat on Saturday. I brought clams, and it took us an hour to pick up 6 mackerel. Bait has been challenging this year. Nice to hear you got their attention with artificials.

now if only my car bill will be less than a paycheck, I shall enjoy the day.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesjcurryjr