Middle Ground

Area: Inshore

Went out yesterday with my younger son Charles, because of the weather and marine report we decided to run west to middle ground while the wind 5 to 10 and waves were 1 foot or less LOL.
Launched the boat at Milford Harbor, on the way out of the harbor small blues were harassing the bunker, we stopped to see what was going on, out of nowhere 3 boats run right into the school, for the life of me I will never understand why people do that, so off we went to Middle ground, took about 40 minutes to get there, we took our time looking for any signs of life.

It was very overcast and looked like it was going to rain any minute.

I picked a pot on the chart that looked like it would be productive, tossed the hook, and when we came tight I let out more rope to position our boat over a good rock pile, of course there were 2 other boats beside us but not problem.

On the way out I cut up 4 dz green crabs and we were ready to rock, started of with 3/4 oz jig, but had a hard time holding bottom, bumped up to 1 oz and we somewhat held bottom.
Didn't have to wait long, first fish in the boat was a tog caught by my son, just shy of 16", over it went, next fish was a porgie, yours truly got that one, we were pulling in porgie after porgie, then cbass moved in, these were really nice fish up to 18"+, we kept our limit but still no keeper tog, with in an hour and a half were almost out of crab.

Between the cbass and porgies, it was hard to get a black fish, then I hooked into something big and I said to my son this is what we were waiting for, well wait we did for the fish got hung up and finally broke off, retied and down it went, for another half hour we caught everything down there, but no keeper tog, we ran out of bait and decided to try out side of the light house for blues or bass.

Got out into 50 feet of water and dropped down some diamond jigs, I was using a deadly dick, was just curious if it would produce anything off the bottom, well I got hit and hit pretty good, set the hook and started the battle, I looked at my son and said, If I didn't know any better I swear this feel like a fluke, got the fish to the boat, my son yells its a fluke, a good size one, hand lined him into the boat, took a quick pic and measurement and over he went, a 21" very fat fluke, go figure where were you a few weeks ago😒.

In the meantime, we were running up and following the pattern on the gps hoping to see if there were anymore fluke around, we tied into more cbass, while we were starting another run to make a drift another boat was headed right for us, a blue cabin sport fisherman, my son was getting nervous because this guy was not altering course and I just stopped to let him pass, well the next thing I know he's heading right towards us, I look and no one is at the helm, I told my son to hang on and put the hammer down, the boat missed us by a couple of feet, everyone was in the back of the boat, when the they looked over and saw how close they were, someone ran to the helm and turned the boat towards middle ground light, so I went after the guy, I told him I was calling the coast guard, you didn't have anyone at the helm and you certainly didn't have a look out. enough said.

We decided to call it quits and headed in, on the way in my son son was at the helm, he slowed down when we came across one on the largest school of bunker I have ever seen in open water, it had to be half a mile in diameter, I have video of the school as soon as I upload it to my pc i will post.
We stayed with the school for about an hour and sure enough, small blues started to pic away at them, we snagged to live ones, and just let them go, I hooked up with a 3 lb blue, let it go and snagged another one, we were into small blues and then the wind picked up and it looked like it was going to rain, so we headed in, it was a pretty good day considering we almost got hit.

Next weekend if the weather holds out will probably be my last trip for my boat. I will be looking to Charter out of R.I. after that.
The water out there was still 64 degrees, I think it needs to drop a lot more before we see any real fall run, mid sound anyways.

Tight Lines,
Jay

• Angry
Reactions: Roccus7 and MOJOE

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
Went out yesterday with my younger son Charles, because of the weather and marine report we decided to run west to middle ground while the wind 5 to 10 and waves were 1 foot or less LOL.
Launched the boat at Milford Harbor, on the way out of the harbor small blues were harassing the bunker, we stopped to see what was going on, out of nowhere 3 boats run right into the school, for the life of me I will never understand why people do that, so off we went to Middle ground, took about 40 minutes to get there, we took our time looking for any signs of life.

It was very overcast and looked like it was going to rain any minute.

I picked a pot on the chart that looked like it would be productive, tossed the hook, and when we came tight I let out more rope to position our boat over a good rock pile, of course there were 2 other boats beside us but not problem.

On the way out I cut up 4 dz green crabs and we were ready to rock, started of with 3/4 oz jig, but had a hard time holding bottom, bumped up to 1 oz and we somewhat held bottom.
Didn't have to wait long, first fish in the boat was a tog caught by my son, just shy of 16", over it went, next fish was a porgie, yours truly got that one, we were pulling in porgie after porgie, then cbass moved in, these were really nice fish up to 18"+, we kept our limit but still no keeper tog, with in an hour and a half were almost out of crab.

Between the cbass and porgies, it was hard to get a black fish, then I hooked into something big and I said to my son this is what we were waiting for, well wait we did for the fish got hung up and finally broke off, retied and down it went, for another half hour we caught everything down there, but no keeper tog, we ran out of bait and decided to try out side of the light house for blues or bass.

Got out into 50 feet of water and dropped down some diamond jigs, I was using a deadly dick, was just curious if it would produce anything off the bottom, well I got hit and hit pretty good, set the hook and started the battle, I looked at my son and said, If I didn't know any better I swear this feel like a fluke, got the fish to the boat, my son yells its a fluke, a good size one, hand lined him into the boat, took a quick pic and measurement and over he went, a 21" very fat fluke, go figure where were you a few weeks ago😒.

In the meantime, we were running up and following the pattern on the gps hoping to see if there were anymore fluke around, we tied into more cbass, while we were starting another run to make a drift another boat was headed right for us, a blue cabin sport fisherman, my son was getting nervous because this guy was not altering course and I just stopped to let him pass, well the next thing I know he's heading right towards us, I look and no one is at the helm, I told my son to hang on and put the hammer down, the boat missed us by a couple of feet, everyone was in the back of the boat, when the they looked over and saw how close they were, someone ran to the helm and turned the boat towards middle ground light, so I went after the guy, I told him I was calling the coast guard, you didn't have anyone at the helm and you certainly didn't have a look out. enough said.

We decided to call it quits and headed in, on the way in my son son was at the helm, he slowed down when we came across one on the largest school of bunker I have ever seen in open water, it had to be half a mile in diameter, I have video of the school as soon as I upload it to my pc i will post.
We stayed with the school for about an hour and sure enough, small blues started to pic away at them, we snagged to live ones, and just let them go, I hooked up with a 3 lb blue, let it go and snagged another one, we were into small blues and then the wind picked up and it looked like it was going to rain, so we headed in, it was a pretty good day considering we almost got hit.

Next weekend if the weather holds out will probably be my last trip for my boat. I will be looking to Charter out of R.I. after that.
The water out there was still 64 degrees, I think it needs to drop a lot more before we see any real fall run, mid sound anyways.

Tight Lines,
Jay
jay thanks for sharing your day fishing with your son,, WOW what a report,, WHAT AZZHOLES you cant make that chit up,, glad you and charles are ok,,,, you think this time of year maybe less boats out on the water there are but still AZZHOLES,, take care,,,,,,,, ps what if that boat hit a big log or something else in the water,, boat maybe would flip and someone can die or all,, bet nobody had lifevest on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,><))):>
><))):>

Last edited:

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
jay thanks for sharing your day fishing with your son,, WOW what a report,, WHAT AZZHOLES you cant make that chit up,, glad you and charles are ok,,,, you think this time of year maybe less boats out on the water there are but still AZZHOLES,, take care,,,,,,,, ps what if that boat hit a big log or something else in the water,, boat maybe would flip and someone can die or all,, bet nobody had lifevest on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,><))):>
><))):>
Unfortunately, these A holes will be always with us. Keep a sharp eye out.

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I
Wow Jay...must've been terrifying especially with your boy on board. Thankfully you became aware of the situation and reacted quickly, and those HPDI's wind up fast...lol

Wow Jay...must've been terrifying especially with your boy on board. Thankfully you became aware of the situation and reacted quickly, and those HPDI's wind up fast...lol
I saw the guy coming, my son goes dad you see the this guy, I said yea as I was slowing down to let him pass, the boat then turns right at me, you know I thought to myself, engine don't fail me now, I'm beginning to think I'm cursed. lol
My son has become reluctant to want to go out there, I usually let him run the boat, he loves it and is very good at handling it, I just happened to be at the helm at the time this went down, it just boggles my mind that people are so careless and irresponsible.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julesbefishin