More from Haulover inlet FLA.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I watch the videos from Haulover on you tube & very often boats struggle to get out, & the ocean is big white water as far as the camera can see, & I wonder where the heck do these guys & gals think they are going.
John

• Haha
Reactions: CELLFISH

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
I have watched a bunch of those videos on Haulover. I always thought that it wasn't as bad as Jones. I never see any breakers across the channel. It looks like they have a nasty current to deal with rather than a bar. The current creates those standing waves. A lot of the boats taking one over the bow can be chalked up to a lack of skill on the operators part. Lots of center console quad outboards. Big boats, unnecessary horsepower, and small brains. Way too much speed for the seas. Lots of money and the attitude if I break something I'll just pay the yard to fix it.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
After watching the videos one thing is for sure, their is an awful lot of money running that inlet.
John

Reactions: Roccus7

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
OH WAIT Ill go check.

OK i looked for an hour or so (yesterday)at different vids but didn't see a blue bottom. I can't believe i would be watching the boats and wondering what mistakes some were making and i didn't see the people UGH. What a Doob. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: BennyV

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Or Greymouth.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
OH WAIT Ill go check.

OK i looked for an hour or so (yesterday)at different vids but didn't see a blue bottom. I can't believe i would be watching the boats and wondering what mistakes some were making and i didn't see the people UGH. What a Doob. :oops:
No, you were the consummate old salt that you are, checking the water and bottom conditions over checking the "dry bottom" conditions...

Someone should post some of the Outerbanks inlets videos too. I understand they get quite "gamey" under certain circumstances.

I view all of these videos as "Stupid Human Tricks Compilations". IMO, unless you're involved in some sort of emergency, there's no reason to be using an inlet in predictably bad conditions. No way to have an excuse for not researching what conditions to expect at a chosen inlet on a given day, and avoiding using that when conditions are not safe.

Let's face, it doesn't take a PhD in oceanography or hydrology to know damn well that any Suffolk County South Shore inlet with a strong outgoing tide in the middle of a summer afternoon is probably going to be snotty, when one considers the predominate, strong summer SW afternoon "breeze". You just plan your day around it or delay the plan for a day with incoming water, if the SW wind is forecasted to be strong.

Regrettably, many Weekend Warriors are woefully prepared for said events. With the glut of them this year thanks to the pandemic, yeah I even see it up here, I'm surprised you FI, Moriches, and Shinnecock boys haven't been posting many inlet horror stories to date.

Stay safe out there!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sorop