Mothballs

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
JD may know his balls, but he didn't know his chit when I quizzed him with some scat photos. Well I'm still "in compliance" because Maine ain't got no stupid off label use laws. I also break other NY laws by virtue of the insecticides I use for tick control, one banned around water in NY.

Reactions: Jack_Daniels

Jack_Daniels

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
JD may know his balls, but he didn't know his chit when I quizzed him with some scat photos. Well I'm still "in compliance" because Maine ain't got no stupid off label use laws. I also break other NY laws by virtue of the insecticides I use for tick control, one banned around water in NY.

It's okay Roccus. It's not like Maine relies on its marine/aquatic environment for anything.

😆🤔😥

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
It's okay Roccus. It's not like Maine relies on its marine/aquatic environment for anything.

😆🤔😥
I stand corrected, I rechecked documentation and NY hasn't banned it, it just has a special insertion into the "Directions for Use": In New York State this product may not be applied to lawns within 100 feet of a coastal marsh, or stream that drains directly into a coastal marsh.

I am a good citizen in that I'm careful to follow the label's "Environmental Hazards" cautions: Applying this product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not blow or wash pesticide off the treatment area.

It can be quite comical around here in the Spring when the Admiral asks if I've put down the tick "stuff" yet and what a beautiful day it is out there right now to do so. "Nope, rain tonight and it's blowing pretty good. Tomorrow morning should be good IF the long-term weather report doesn't change."

Jack_Daniels

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
I stand corrected, I rechecked documentation and NY hasn't banned it, it just has a special insertion into the "Directions for Use": In New York State this product may not be applied to lawns within 100 feet of a coastal marsh, or stream that drains directly into a coastal marsh.

I am a good citizen in that I'm careful to follow the label's "Environmental Hazards" cautions: Applying this product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not blow or wash pesticide off the treatment area.

It can be quite comical around here in the Spring when the Admiral asks if I've put down the tick "stuff" yet and what a beautiful day it is out there right now to do so. "Nope, rain tonight and it's blowing pretty good. Tomorrow morning should be good IF the long-term weather report doesn't change."
Looks like you're talking about Astro which is permethrin. It is a restricted-use pesticide in NY, meaning only a certified applicator can apply it here. It's not restricted in ME?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Looks like you're talking about Astro which is permethrin. It is a restricted-use pesticide in NY, meaning only a certified applicator can apply it here. It's not restricted in ME?
Nope, Γ-Cyhalothrin (Triazicide granules)...

Ticks crazy up here, a quick jaunt across the lawn to the blueberry bushes in shorts would mean at least 5 ticks crawling on me before I started using it. I'll be damned if I have to live in my permethrin treated clothes all summer instead of walking barefoot around the lawn.

Last edited:

Jack_Daniels

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Nope, Γ-Cyhalothrin (Triazicide granules)...

Ticks crazy up here, a quick jaunt across the lawn to the blueberry bushes in shorts would mean at least 5 ticks crawling on me before I started using it. I'll be damned if I have to live in my permethrin treated clothes all summer instead of walking barefoot around the lawn.
What kind of ticks are they? Lonestars?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
What kind of ticks are they? Lonestars?
I've only seen Doggies on me, but incidence of Lyme, Babesiousis and Anaplasmosis up here is going through the roof. Highly unusual for anyone with a dog to never had a problem with the puppy having Lyme at least once; most have had multiple infections in spite of proper tick treatment, collars. And just about everyone landscaper I know has had Lyme, as well as 2 neighbors who never took my warnings to heart prior to both of them getting Lyme...

The Admiral contracted Lyme once down in CT so we're extremely aggressive, read that TOTALLY ANAL, in our "Tick Prevention" stance. If I go out in areas of my property I haven't treated, or visiting the "Nursery In The Woods Across The Street" for white pine or white birch saplings to transplant, I "gown up" in my permethrin-treated clothes, pants tucked into socks, Malathon treatment of entry points, wrists, neck, waste and ankles, and an extra layer of Deep Woods Off around my boots, socks and pants before heading out.

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Hmmmm….getting an education here. OK, if not mothballs, can I an alternative be recommended. I have seen the damage mice and others can do.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Mothballs = Mouse & Vole Repellent **

Bounce Sheets = Red Squirrel and Chipmunk Repellent. Red Squirrels are a BIG problem up here.

My battery compartment and my cabin are loaded with these winter storage "accouterments", as well as some organic stuff like "Grandpa Gus' Mouse Repellent" which does have an "Irish Spring" like smell. I use the round mothballs that come in a perforated plastic bag so clean up is easy in the spring. I also load up the shed and all outdoor storage boxes with these fine repellents.

** - One particularly bad Mickey year I had a mouse build a nest using Bounce sheets on top of bag of mothballs in the shed, go figure...

Reactions: MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
When putting the boat away for the winter, I usually add mothballs to try and keep critters out. When looking for the at the supermarket, the guy mentioned he had a boat and used Irish Spring soap. I thought Irish Spring smelled pretty nice. Has anyone else heard of using Irish Spring? Does it work? Anything else work? I have used mothballs and it seems to work.
I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" approach. Stick with the mothballs.

Reactions: MOJOE

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
When putting the boat away for the winter, I usually add mothballs to try and keep critters out. When looking for the at the supermarket, the guy mentioned he had a boat and used Irish Spring soap. I thought Irish Spring smelled pretty nice. Has anyone else heard of using Irish Spring? Does it work? Anything else work? I have used mothballs and it seems to work.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togman1