New Braid to Mono leader Knot - the SC - Looks EASY!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
First we had FG, then the PR Bobbin. Now the "SC." This one looks easy:

And here's the the typically overly-complicated Japanese version, finished with a "Reversed Rizzuto" knot, which I have used in the past:

Gotta love those Japanese - always finding the long road home. . .

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Astoria
First we had FG, then the PR Bobbin. Now the "SC." This one looks easy:

And here's the the typically overly-complicated Japanese version, finished with a "Reversed Rizzuto" knot, which I have used in the past:

Gotta love those Japanese - always finding the long road home. . .
Unfortunately, the first video is unavailable.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Unfortunately, the first video is unavailable.
You're correct. You can't play it from here, you have to go to YouTube and play it from there.

Copy and paste this into your browser line, but erase the "$" first. Had to fool the website into not assuming this was an active link

https$://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2lhWZJF860

Now the old curmudgeon in me will chime in. IMO, any knot that can't be easily tied on a pitching deck has limited utility to me...

Last edited:

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I definitely can not see myself tying this on an open, ocean beach. M A Y B E on the kayak. Trying to tie these connector type knots at or on either was a bit much for me and I went back to swivels and snaps. What I will do is start off with them and if I lose a rig, etc., I will just use a snap swivel / paper clip again.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Pequa1 - This knot is meant to attach a mono leader to braid. The first vid couldn’t be any easier. I know I could tie it in 30 seconds, while standing in my boat. The Japanese version is a home work table-type knot, imo.

Reactions: cany and Macks

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Making a loop in 10# braid while leaning forward in my yak, and then trying to wind that loop around the 15# fluoro leader twenty times ? Probably worse trying to re-tie it on a windy ocean beach in the fall, albeit with 20# braid and 30 lb leader. Will stick with snap swivels and paper clips if I have to cut off a rig.

Am I looking at the wrong video ?

Reactions: Roccus7

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
The way its tied in the first video is no more difficult than a Double Uni, which I can do in my sleep. You could too, if you tried. Give it a shot - I think you'll agree. . .

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
"The best knot is the one you are comfortable tying . . ."

I couldn't agree more. But not trying is not knowing. I find I cannot get proficient at anything unless I do it repetitively. I'm not a naturally gifted person, so I work twice as hard to get better at the things I like to do.

This most certainly includes tying fishing knots. Hey, there are times I screw up a basic knot like the Double-Uni, as I believe is the case with many other guys. So for me, practice makes perfect.

Anyway, I will give this knot (in the first vid) a fair try on the grounds and report back my findings.

Togilator

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Not new,This Knots been around for sometime.I have no idea who came up with it first but Kevin Twilley the mate on the Fishbound out of Ocean city Maryland has been tying it for me and other clients for at least the last 4 to 5 years.I don't remember when he exactly switched to it but they catch some of the biggest tog around and I never had his knot fail.I fully take advantage of a qualified mate tying on my top shot when needed.One less thing I have to worry about and I can get back in the game with my other rod.Not sure how Kevin finishes the knot though.I never paid attention to that part.It has worked well on bottom fish applications.

Reactions: Snapprhead27

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
If it holds up to tog, it's worth learning. I use the uni to uni, but usually for more light tackle scenarios.

But, not be put to use until I can tie in my sleep!

Last edited:

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Making a loop in 10# braid while leaning forward in my yak, and then trying to wind that loop around the 15# fluoro leader twenty times ? Probably worse trying to re-tie it on a windy ocean beach in the fall, albeit with 20# braid and 30 lb leader. Will stick with snap swivels and paper clips if I have to cut off a rig.

Am I looking at the wrong video ?
As we age, we fish differently. You mention an ocean beach. I would mention under the light or the tip of a jetty close to the water on a slippery rock with a foothold on maybe an area the size of a garbage can cover! When you had a break off and were being battered every other wave, a simple improved clinch knot to a barrel swivel to leader etc. allowed you to look down and get it done before the next wave! Oh, and of course you would always have an issue as others were pulling fish during a very tight window bite! :)

But, those days are probably done!!

Last edited:

OVERBORED

Angler
Jan 6, 2021
The FG knot is my favorite braid to mono knot but I am all thumbs when it comes time to tying it on a pitching boat. I can tie it well in my living room with my reading glasses on. That's it!

All other times its uni to uni. I can tie that one with my eyes closed and it never fails. just gets hung up on the guides some times......

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I can't tie the FG on my boat. No way, not with all the crisscrossing. I just can't keep track of where I'm at in the "weave," what with all the other distractions on the tog grounds. So that's why I'm very interested in finding a stronger knot than the Double-Uni that I can tie aboard the boat - though in fact the past three seasons I've never lost my shock leader while using either the FG or the Bobbin PR.

But it could happen, and so I'm trying to find "that" knot that will be as strong as those two and still be tie-able on my boat. not to mention the clanking thru the guides and occasional hanging in my small-diameter tip-tops. The Double-Uni definitely is not he knot to deal with all that.

But, I think this SC knot might be "the One." That's why I shared it, though I'm beginning to regret doing so. . . :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, I don't use a shock leader for fluke - I tie my braid directly to the top swivel of my B/S rig, with a 12-turn Improved clinch. Never had that fail, either.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Sorry Lep, didn't want to denigrate the knot above and especially not you. But you just admitted not tying the FG on your boat, which undoubtedly (or at least usually) provides a more stable platform than a windy ocean beach or a bobbing kayak for tying anything to thin braid. I will start off with a uni to uni etc. but once the buck at the end loses too much paint or hair/plastic, it is just too tempting to just cut the connecting knot, tie on a snap swivel/paper clip, and attach another rig with a barrel swivel already tied on.

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823