New Fluke-Intended Dark Matter Skinner Rod

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Was watching John Skinner's latest video, and half-way through he whipped out the new Dark Matter Fluke stick, upon which he drilled some nice "fun-size" Goliath Groupers from his motorized kayak. He said he worked thru six prototypes in 2020 before he was happy with it, which I believe.

For those that don't know, Dark Matter rods are the house brand of J&H Tackle/Oakdale, and the ones I've seen all looked to be well constructed - though I have not seen this particular model as yet.

Spec's are 6'8" overall length, with a 16.5" rear grip (I prefer just a bit longer, but still a very acceptable length), Winn Grips on the rear handle area, and a full set of Fuji Alconite guides. Rated 1-6oz lures, which covers about 85% of what we do offshore. Nice moderate bendo to it, which I look for, in order to prevent a good one from coming unbuttoned on the long, looong trip up to the net.

Cost is a relative modest $160, which makes it a bit less pricey than the Kilsong-supplied Black Hole Charter Special MH 6'9" stick that I use for rough-day deep fluke in conventional and for tog jigging in the spinning version, (along with my fav, the 6' Shimano Type J ML for both species).

I've heard good things about these Dark Matter rods. Are they $300 Shimano factory sticks? No. Or $450 custom CTS's? No, even less so. But for a relatively modest amount of jing, they look to be solid contenders for those that are shopping for a good stick in this price category. I will pass by J&H at some point later this Spring, in order to get my own eyeballs on it.

Video (The Dark matter rod part starts at 9:40):

J&H Web page:

Reactions: BennyV and george

SEMPER FIsh

New Angler
Sep 13, 2020
Mr. Lep,

Just curious if you were able to handle this rod in person and if so, what your thoughts are. Thank you in advance.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Not as yet. My travels haven’t taken out that way, since I wrote my original post here. Soon though, I would think.

In the meantime, what are you looking for in a fluke rod? And where and how do you fish? Maybe there are more options in rods that you might want to consider.

SEMPER FIsh

New Angler
Sep 13, 2020
Thank you for your response. I am just trying to find a versatile rod. I was leaning towards the Black Hole Charter Special 6’8 before I saw this rod. Most of my outings are outside in about 40-90’. I go up to 4oz, 5oz max. I don’t have the luxury to carry multiple rods so I would be grateful if I can find a versatile rod that I can use outside but also inside if needed

NoFlukenName

New Angler
Apr 1, 2019
I’ve used this rod past couple of trips and like it so far. A bit lighter than the Nexus and it’s easy to jig one handed with it. Picked up an 8.5 pound, 27 inch fluke with it last Sunday. Not saying the rod made the difference (I’d like to think it was all me), but feels really comfortable and has handled bucktails to 5 ounces with no issues so far....

Reactions: SEMPER FIsh

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823