New Tog rig? Am I missing something?

So the few times I've been out on NJ party boats after the NY season is over, I noticed some people using a rig I've never seen before.

It's basically a regular one hook set up, but with a hook just threaded above the the tied hook, so that it can slide up and down the leader.

0105211829.jpg

At first I just smirked a little but as time went by, it looked like these guys were not missing any bites. Even saw 2 pool winners using that rig.
Anyone else see or use these rigs?

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
So the few times I've been out on NJ party boats after the NY season is over, I noticed some people using a rig I've never seen before.

It's basically a regular one hook set up, but with a hook just threaded above the the tied hook, so that it can slide up and down the leader.

View attachment 29218

At first I just smirked a little but as time went by, it looked like these guys were not missing any bites. Even saw 2 pool winners using that rig.
Yup. Snafu variation. I did well with it this year.

View attachment 29218

Very popular on the Rhode Island party/charter boats.

Reactions: DarthBaiter

HighHook4Hire

New Angler
Aug 19, 2019
Sliding hook rig? KON has it on this video. You hook both hooks into the same bait so it should not tangle Joe. I usually have both hooks facing up, but never tried the top hook facing down as pictured. Works well and easier to tie...

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
The high hook that is threaded through doesn't drop down on top of the tied hook to cause a tangle?
Sounds like the top hook (sliding hook) is embedded into the same crab the snelled hook threads into (variation of a snafu rig). Not sure what you mean about a tangle? Sorry just read the previous reply explaining no tangles. Lol

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outdoorsy