newell screw

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Pete and company

I'm trying to switch out the left side plate and one small screw just won't come out, it turns and I cannot get anything behind it either. It's a newell s229 . Any ideas?? thanks

Attachments

• newell.jpg
    newell.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I know exactly what happened here -the screw is frozen in its insert, which has broken loose and is now spinning with the screw. I've seen it before. This one is gonna be a tough fix.

Stainless steel (or chrome on brass) screws, when tightened into a brass insert without a generous coating of lube, will nearly always result in the screw galvanically locking to the insert. Bad news, as you have found.

Ordinarily, I would suggest penetrating oil overnight, and the judicious application of pin-point heat using a soldering iron applied to the screw head, followed by an ice bath to bust the screw loose. This has some risk, as it can negatively affect the plastic side plate. In any case, this removal technique will not work in this instance.

I would try the following - take out all the other screws and try rotating the side plate 180-deg. Then CAREFULLY wiggle the side plate while applying upwards pull on it. The idea is to use the side plate to pull the screw and its insert out of the spacer bar. See if that works.

Be very careful, because the last thing you want is to crack a side plate that is next to impossible to replace.

Let us know if this works, While I work on dreaming up some alternate strategy

Or, you might consider just leaving it alone, and working around the problem, when servicing the reel. That's probably the wisest course of action. At least nothing will be further damaged.

Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: movetheboat

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
thanks guys...not worried about the plate it's already cracked....gonna replace it with a black side plate as the red are impossible to find

this screw goes in to spacer bar.....i took the other side off and went into the spacer bar with a very small allen key handle to try and hold the insert in place..but no go

will keep trying

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
so I got the spacer bat screw out and replaced the left side plate for a s229 RED with a left side plate for a s229 BLACK.....guess what the bearing cap is larger on the RED and don't fit the black side plate....yup NEWELLS are easy to work on SMH! braring.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
You seem to get into some unique "reel situations," I'll give you that.

I might be able to help you with this. I have to check my Newell parts inventory. Be back to you later today.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Gene - I looked in my Newell parts box and came up with this bearing cup:

IMG_1828_edited.jpg

IMG_1829_edited.jpg

IMG_1830_edited.jpg

IMG_1827_edited.jpg

Check the dims of your side plate's receiving hole. If this is the proper bearing cup for your "new" side plate, let me know, and its yours.

By the way - for you wild and crazy Newell users - I have a small trove of parts, including factory gear sets, factory metal drag washers, various screws in assorted lengths and a bunch of other bits and pieces. these are not so easy to come by these days - and so if you need something, let me know. My prices will be VERY amenable. No sense in hanging onto these any longer, as I will probably not be needing any of them in the future.

IMG_1831.jpg

Reactions: Roccus7

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Hi Pete....the red plate has a 1/2 inch cup and the black a wee bit over 3/8ths which if I am converting right is the cup you have. I tried the smaller cup from a 332 and it fits....but I will have to take the thing apart as it is not cranking correct .....

I would like the cap if you don't mind...PM me for particulars...thanks...GENE

Reactions: Roccus7

Staff online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julesbefishin