North Fork Hot Toggin'

Area: North Fork

Just finished back to back Tog Charters on Sunday and Monday with solid results both days. Weather conditions allowed me to work my Fishers I. drops and lots of life found on nearly every spot.

Sunday found Bill and his crew of 4 head east with quite a bit more SE breeze than originally forecast. That along with the strong new moon tides meant we had to find a place to hide quickly. Started in a favorite 42’ drop at the end of the ebb. Very fast action here for about an hour with many shorts, a couple of nice 18” keepers and a handful of tasty Sea Bass. Tide shifted and moved us off the piece so it was time to move.

Tried one more spot nearby but things were pretty quiet here. So, moved on to another “old reliable” super sticky spot in the vicinity in only 35’ of water. Took about 15 minutes for the bite to build but then it was lights out for the last 3 hours of the trip. Did a lot of sorting but still had no problem icing a boat limit to 6# along with several more nice Sea Bass. Lost one well over 7# right at the boat and busted off a couple of other brutes that were not going to be denied their favorite rock! Guys went home with full bags of filet and lots of smiles.

Monday with Mitch, his Dad, and Chef Nader we found much nicer sea conditions and a short one-hour window for me to try one of my deeper 70’ drops to start. Once again, action was non stop with many shorts, 3 nice keepers to 4#, and a few keeper Sea Bass before the tide was cranking and a move was required. Back to the scene of Sunday’s hot bite but things seemed to have cooled off a bit there. Only a bunch of shorts for about an hour’s effort. So, we made a small adjustment and got the solid bite going with plenty of keepers again in the same vicinity. Size range was similar to the prior day with top fish just under 6#. Only lost a couple of larger fish on the light spinning tackle but a thoroughly enjoyable day. Cruised back to port with a full boat limit on beautiful flat calm seas.

Sorry, no photos the past 2 trips as I was working my tail off freeing snagged rigs, retying hooks, cutting crabs, and fileting fish. I promise to do better next time.

Next 3 weekends are full but I had a cancellation for the Nov. 14 weekend. So, right now the open Holiday/weekend days left on my calendar are 11/11,14,15. Weekdays are often a bit more flexible if you can sneak in a day off from work.

Give me a call to cash in on another great Tog season on the North Fork.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
great report capt,, sounds like a blast,,, keep it up with the tog🐟🐟🐟 8-)(y) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><)))):>
><)))):>

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Well, I have to say that yesterdays trip with you Mike was an absolute awesome experience!!!
It was every bit as great as you described it and more.
Perfect weather conditions and you gave me and my 82 year old Dad a day we will remember and I can't thank you enough🙏🙏🙏. I apologize for all the snags LOL 🤷‍♂️
Chef Nader put on a clinic as well and is a very interesting and super friendly guy.
If you've never had a chance to fish with Capt Mike, I highly recommend you do.
My wife is in the kitchen right now prepping up a Tog feast👍👍

Thanks for the kind words Mitch. You guys were great fun to fish with and certainly contributed to the overall catch yesterday.
Also, no worries about the lost tackle. As the old Blackfish saying goes "If you're not losing rigs you are fishing in the wrong spot for Tog"! It 's all part of the game.
Bon apetit!

Reactions: Chinacat

NoFlukenName

New Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Great stuff. Saw you out there Sunday Capt Mike....sending some overflow customers your way as I’m still DOA with my port lower unit.

Hi Capt. John,
Yes, I saw you as well fishing with Doc. Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. Mine were also pretty nasty at the start of this season so I know the feeling all too well.

Thanks very much for the referrals. One will work out but the other group asked for a date I had already booked.

Hope you are back to fishing your won rig soon.
Mike

Reactions: NoFlukenName

Staff online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firefisher