not less 15” / not more than 35”

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
are they good eating Mike?

here’s a good article on Jack, i’ve tried em, not so good… dry meat , needs heavy spices, good for conversation… cellie…

annoying advertising..

Reactions: wader
Back in the 90's my wife and I were vising friends in West Palm Beach, what a beautiful home they had, Burt Reynolds lived right up the street.
I decided I wanted to go on a charter but no one was willing to go so I booked an open charter at Sailfish Marina.
I was mid April and not mush was going on, I opted for bottom fishing, at the time a 4hr trip was 400$.
I can't remember where we were but we were catching blue fish and some other bottom fish.
When we got back in they would take the catch and hang them on spikes next to the boat.
Walking back to the cleaning station I noticed two young kids, no more than 8 or nine yrs old.
They had a Penn 50w setup and they were trying to catch Jacks that were there waiting for the scraps that
the mates would throw from the clients catch, there were hundreds of Jacks there I was like I should have just stayed here.
The kids tried but were unable to hook up the jacks would run up see the hook and ignore it.
I walked over to one of the mates and asked for a handful of scraps to which he gladly gave me.
I walked back to the two boys and said I can help you catch one if you would like, they were yea mister that would be great, I don't know where they got the outfit from but I checked it out, set the drag not too tight and peeled off fifty or so feet of line, I told both of them to hold on really tight, I put a nice size piece of bait on, I put it with the scraps and scooped them up into a big pile in my hands, I said to the boys are you ready, yes sir, ok here we go, with that I tossed the whole pile over.
I fed the line and instantly hooked up, giving a couple of good yanks on the line to set the hook, I let go and the two boys are on one of the biggest Jacks I have ever seen, by now other people noticed and were gathering around and a guy comes running down from one of the boats screaming thats my rod, that's my rod.
He yanked the rod from the kids and started fighting the fish, he turned to the two boys and told them how many time do I have to tell you to leave daddys stuff alone.
I then looked at him and said Dad, at least let the kids fight the fish, the setup is not going anywhere now that you're here.
With that he handed the rod back to the kids but it was too late the jack got into a piling and broke off.
I told the kids next time you sneak your dads stuff, just remember what I did, people were telling me that those kids would be down there almost every day trying to catch one and this was the first time they were successful.
I walked away with a smile on my face, that moment meant more to me than taking the charter, the look on those two kids when that line came tigh was precious.
Just thought I'd put this out there seeing how we are talking about Jack Crevalle.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Jay

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
Back in the 90's my wife and I were vising friends in West Palm Beach, what a beautiful home they had, Burt Reynolds lived right up the street.
I decided I wanted to go on a charter but no one was willing to go so I booked an open charter at Sailfish Marina.
I was mid April and not mush was going on, I opted for bottom fishing, at the time a 4hr trip was 400$.
I can't remember where we were but we were catching blue fish and some other bottom fish.
When we got back in they would take the catch and hang them on spikes next to the boat.
Walking back to the cleaning station I noticed two young kids, no more than 8 or nine yrs old.
They had a Penn 50w setup and they were trying to catch Jacks that were there waiting for the scraps that
the mates would throw from the clients catch, there were hundreds of Jacks there I was like I should have just stayed here.
The kids tried but were unable to hook up the jacks would run up see the hook and ignore it.
I walked over to one of the mates and asked for a handful of scraps to which he gladly gave me.
I walked back to the two boys and said I can help you catch one if you would like, they were yea mister that would be great, I don't know where they got the outfit from but I checked it out, set the drag not too tight and peeled off fifty or so feet of line, I told both of them to hold on really tight, I put a nice size piece of bait on, I put it with the scraps and scooped them up into a big pile in my hands, I said to the boys are you ready, yes sir, ok here we go, with that I tossed the whole pile over.
I fed the line and instantly hooked up, giving a couple of good yanks on the line to set the hook, I let go and the two boys are on one of the biggest Jacks I have ever seen, by now other people noticed and were gathering around and a guy comes running down from one of the boats screaming thats my rod, that's my rod.
He yanked the rod from the kids and started fighting the fish, he turned to the two boys and told them how many time do I have to tell you to leave daddys stuff alone.
I then looked at him and said Dad, at least let the kids fight the fish, the setup is not going anywhere now that you're here.
With that he handed the rod back to the kids but it was too late the jack got into a piling and broke off.
I told the kids next time you sneak your dads stuff, just remember what I did, people were telling me that those kids would be down there almost every day trying to catch one and this was the first time they were successful.
I walked away with a smile on my face, that moment meant more to me than taking the charter, the look on those two kids when that line came tigh was precious.
Just thought I'd put this out there seeing how we are talking about Jack Crevalle.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Jay

that’s was great, too bad that old man needs to have his tires checked…

yes, Fort Lauderdale charter boats oceanside marina, has +36“ Tarpon waiting for the same scraps… cellfish…

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocco23