Ocean

Area: Shinnecock

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Between work, my side job as a roadie for all
of my sons music projects, prepping to send him off to college, the price of gas, etc etc my fishing time has been very limited this season
With todays conditions forecast to be so good, I took the day off work and hit the ocean. My son couldnt be talked into calling in sick to his job at Tiana Beach 😜 so I went out myself. Had steady action all day. Started at the reef and landed LOTS of seabass with many over 15” but no keepers. Got a bunch of porgies and kept 4 with the biggest being about 15”
Switched to Fluke and got some shorts and a nice fat 22”. By early afternoon had to decide whether to move back in for the bay bite or stay out in the beautiful ocean. I chose ocean and was rewarded with 2 keeper seabass with one just over 22” 😱😱😱😎😎😎
It was as long as the fluke and fat as heck
May be the biggest one I've ever caught
I even used the net to bring it in 😂
Overall it was a good day by myself with a nice bag ofmixed fillets
Heres a “group shot” if the catch. The bright sun made it difficult to see the screen…..
E043A893-D015-43F3-B569-9438697BC8F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Chevy1

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Islip
of my sons music projects, prepping to send him off to college, the price of gas, etc etc my fishing time has been very limited this season
With todays conditions forecast to be so good, I took the day off work and hit the ocean. My son couldnt be talked into calling in sick to his job at Tiana Beach 😜 so I went out myself. Had steady action all day. Started at the reef and landed LOTS of seabass with many over 15” but no keepers. Got a bunch of porgies and kept 4 with the biggest being about 15”
Switched to Fluke and got some shorts and a nice fat 22”. By early afternoon had to decide whether to move back in for the bay bite or stay out in the beautiful ocean. I chose ocean and was rewarded with 2 keeper seabass with one just over 22” 😱😱😱😎😎😎
Overall it was a good day by myself with a nice bag if mixed fillets
Heres a “group shot” if the catch. The bright sun made it difficult to see the screen…..
View attachment 52080
Awesome 😎

Reactions: Chinacat and MOJOE

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
Overall it was a good day by myself with a nice bag if mixed fillets
View attachment 52080
chinacat well done my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good you got out today and fished,,,,,,great report!!!! 8-) (y) ,,, ,,,,,,,,><))):>><))):>

Reactions: Chinacat

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Good job Mitch, I was about 12 or 13 miles south of you today, & struggled to get three keeper sea bass, none close to 20". Sea conditions in the early morning made it a tough ride out, & I probably burned a lot more gas to get my three fish.......John

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Good job Mitch, I was about 12 or 13 miles south of you today, & struggled to get three keeper sea bass, none close to 20". Sea conditions in the early morning made it a tough ride out, & I probably burned a lot more gas to get my three fish.......John
Thanks John 👍
It definitely got calmer as the morning went on
By early afternoon it was pretty flat inshore
Im guessing you went back to that 12 mile reef? How deep is it there?

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
May be the biggest one I've ever caught
I even used the net to bring it in 😂
Overall it was a good day by myself with a nice bag ofmixed fillets
View attachment 52080
Beautiful catch, Mitch. Really glad to see your persistence pay off!

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks John 👍
It definitely got calmer as the morning went on
By early afternoon it was pretty flat inshore
Im guessing you went back to that 12 mile reef? How deep is it there?
Correct I did run to the 12 mile reef. The spot is holding an equal number of sea bass & fair size ling, I will admit I was a little disappointed in the size of the sea bass, I hoping for bigger fish. The structure is in about 120' of water....... John

Bassmaster

Well-Known Angler
May 7, 2019
Great catch congratulations. I don’t have a keeper fluke either this year. What were you using as bait

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Great catch congratulations. I don’t have a keeper fluke either this year. What were you using as bait
I was trying various combos of hi/lows with gulps, teasers, different colors etc
The keeper fluke was actually on a teaser skirt tied to a fluke ball with squid and a micro peanut bunker I cast netted in my marina