Path of a new saltwater fisherman

Leftover40

New Angler
Sep 13, 2021
Hi all
Brand new saltwater fisherman here

I’ve tried saltwater fishing a few times over the years but was always lost and now I’m attempting to learn properly so I look like I know what I’m doing in front of my kids haha.

Today I went to captree and picked the guys brain at the bait shop and he really helped me out getting set up. I came with a crappy rod with old 10 lb line and he talked me into buying a new rod with 20 lb line, weights, a jig, and clams for bait. I told him I didn’t know sh*t about fishing and asked what fish I should start out on just so I can start catching something. I’m still in the phase of being grateful just to land a fish so he recommended I go for pufferfish.

So I spent the day fishing at the pier and caught 20 something baby pufferfish and grew bored of that pretty quickly. In my head that seems comparable to catching bluegills out of freshwater(not much of a challenge)

But I’m still happy with the day because this is the first time I’ve been able to actually land fish on my own out of saltwater so it’s a step in the right direction for me. I’ve done some freshwater fishing and a couple charter boats but I consider myself a newborn to the fishing game.

So as I’m leaving I told the bait shop guy how I did and how I think I graduated on from the pufferfish and I’m ready to move on to something bigger/more challenging and he recommended “snappers”.

So I wanted to seek out advice from some of you experienced guys on how a rookie should go about the process of learning to fish. I got no boat so I’m at the mercy of shorelines and piers. I’m out there mostly to have fun but would love to bring home dinner on occasion to keep the wife at bay haha. Thanks in advance

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Hi all
Brand new saltwater fisherman here

I’ve tried saltwater fishing a few times over the years but was always lost and now I’m attempting to learn properly so I look like I know what I’m doing in front of my kids haha.

Today I went to captree and picked the guys brain at the bait shop and he really helped me out getting set up. I came with a crappy rod with old 10 lb line and he talked me into buying a new rod with 20 lb line, weights, a jig, and clams for bait. I told him I didn’t know sh*t about fishing and asked what fish I should start out on just so I can start catching something. I’m still in the phase of being grateful just to land a fish so he recommended I go for pufferfish.

So I spent the day fishing at the pier and caught 20 something baby pufferfish and grew bored of that pretty quickly. In my head that seems comparable to catching bluegills out of freshwater(not much of a challenge)

But I’m still happy with the day because this is the first time I’ve been able to actually land fish on my own out of saltwater so it’s a step in the right direction for me. I’ve done some freshwater fishing and a couple charter boats but I consider myself a newborn to the fishing game.

So as I’m leaving I told the bait shop guy how I did and how I think I graduated on from the pufferfish and I’m ready to move on to something bigger/more challenging and he recommended “snappers”.

So I wanted to seek out advice from some of you experienced guys on how a rookie should go about the process of learning to fish. I got no boat so I’m at the mercy of shorelines and piers. I’m out there mostly to have fun but would love to bring home dinner on occasion to keep the wife at bay haha. Thanks in advance
Find a friend/colleague who does fish regularly. You can watch every YouTube video out there, but someone who can physically guide and mentor you would be the most effective.

And don't downplay blowfish!! It was the the first fish that many of us of a certain age caught. I would get a nice bucket full of them by myself when I was 8 or so, and bring them home, clean them up and then my grandmother would flour them and fry them in bacon fat. One of the best eating fish there is!!

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Welcome to the website and saltwater fishing!

You seem to be doing all the right things in your learning experience. You're asking questions of experienced anglers that are very willing to assist. Keep on doing that. We have a great community here that is always willing to help. No one will be giving up their spots but they will help teach you how to find your own.

The one piece of advice I can give you, and it's something that many anglers don't take the time to do, is to keep a fishing log. Keep good records of weather tide baits and tackle moon phase time of day and anything else you noticed such as clean or dirty water. This will be very helpful in your effort to predict when and where the bite will happen.

Saltwater fishing is a totally different animal when it comes to catching fish, but it offers a lot.

I would start with your catch of blowfish. Next year at this time you may want to catch a few.

Tonybob914

New Angler
Jul 2, 2021
Find a friend/colleague who does fish regularly. You can watch every YouTube video out there, but someone who can physically guide and mentor you would be the most effective.

And don't downplay blowfish!! It was the the first fish that many of us of a certain age caught. I would get a nice bucket full of them by myself when I was 8 or so, and bring them home, clean them up and then my grandmother would flour them and fry them in bacon fat. One of the best eating fish there is!!
You should probably subscribe to the Long Island Fisherman magazine. Lots of articles on techniques, spots and tackle, There are also several facebook pages for LI fishing by species.

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
Lefty, now till Thanksgiving is da best for beach fishing... ya need a 10foot surf pole, matching reel and check da surf section on this website, tons of info and other surfdogs will help ya out... the weather is still warm so ya wont need waders on sunny days, but fish bite better on cloudy/drizzle days, sunrise/ sunset best hours but not required... bluefish, striped bass are da norm... gotta get registered for free ya "MARINE FISHING PERMIT"... btw, wheres ya home, good luck... cellfish...

Reactions: george

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000