Peconic Bay Scallop Collapse

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Caught this article this morning. Wow, dragging for those tasty mollusks and dining on them was always the high point of the fall.

Peconic Bay Scallop Collapse
Cycles come and go .......

That being said Hard Clams in many traditional areas have not been 'seeding' the last few years ......
Great South Bay has not had a decent set since the 80's .
North Shore now suffering .......
Many questions few answers why ......................

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Yea i was pretty bumed out last monday when i called my scallop connection up and he told me forget it this year "all i got today is 63 scallops and a load of empty shells. Been licking my lips for the last month .Gonna have to try the Cape Cod and Nantucket ones my guy had them this weekend they looked good and i understand they are just as good as ours.They are suppose to be having a banner year up there .Will report back after i eat some.

Reactions: Macks

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Might help if we could prohibit fertilizing and throwing down fungicides, herbicides and grubicides on private lawns (grow zoysia or xeroscape!) and mandating the installation of sewers or those vaunted super cesspool/septic tanks. At the very least it might save the aquifers and delay Lawnguyland from having to tap into the city water supply.

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Yea i was pretty bumed out last monday when i called my scallop connection up and he told me forget it this year "all i got today is 63 scallops and a load of empty shells. Been licking my lips for the last month .Gonna have to try the Cape Cod and Nantucket ones my guy had them this weekend they looked good and i understand they are just as good as ours.They are suppose to be having a banner year up there .Will report back after i eat some.
You can get them out in East Hampton,the bay men have a shop on Abrams Path off Montauk Hwy,35 Bucks a pound..

Chinacat

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Might help if we could prohibit fertilizing and throwing down fungicides, herbicides and grubicides on private lawns (grow zoysia or xeroscape!) and mandating the installation of sewers or those vaunted super cesspool/septic tanks. At the very least it might save the aquifers and delay Lawnguyland from having to tap into the city water supply.
I agree 100%
Yet I'm amazed at how opposed everyone around here is to the politicians that promote those type of environmental agendas:eek::rolleyes:8-)

Chinacat

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I was very disappointed when I heard this news recently.
They are far and away one of our best local resources here on the east end of LI.
The last few years had been very encouraging.

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
I agree 100%
Yet I'm amazed at how opposed everyone around here is to the politicians that promote those type of environmental agendas:eek::rolleyes:8-)
NEVER heard of a LI politician who proposed to ban lawns ......
I would expect he / she would be run out of town ........

What about tire wear ? Where does that tire dust end up ????? What effect does that have ?

Sewage treatment ? Need to get rid of the chlorine , use UV systems

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
When I lived out in the Midwest a work colleague who married into one of the original Nantucket families scored me some from out there and yes, they were the real deal!!

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Didn't say to ban lawns. But I have wasted water by watering my zoysia a total of four times since 2017, and have not used fertilizer, herbicides, grubicides or fungicides since 2006 or so as the stuff just doesn't need it. So big deal, it does not start greening up until mid May and is just now starting to turn the color of straw. Don't blame me for polluting the aquifers ! Plus I definitely do not have to mow zoysia (which I do myself and did when I was working full time and in the reserves for 28 years) as often as Kentucky blue and perennial ryes require and use a cordless mower. I believe there are varieties of zoysia that will also do well in shade.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I've had them in the past. And while they're close, and much better than most, I think the Peconics are a bit better though.

Chinacat

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Didn't say to ban lawns. But I have wasted water by watering my zoysia a total of four times since 2017, and have not used fertilizer, herbicides, grubicides or fungicides since 2006 or so as the stuff just doesn't need it. So big deal, it does not start greening up until mid May and is just now starting to turn the color of straw. Don't blame me for polluting the aquifers ! Plus I definitely do not have to mow zoysia (which I do myself and did when I was working full time and in the reserves for 28 years) as often as Kentucky blue and perennial ryes require and use a cordless mower. I believe there are varieties of zoysia that will also do well in shade.
Not sure where I blamed you specifically for polluting the aquifer.:unsure:
Personally, I use no fertilizer on my lawn either.
Makes no sense to me to spend $$$ to give me more work and have to mow every 4 days while adding to the nitrogen problem.

I made a simple point that one side of the political spectrum supports protecting the environment.
The other is scaling back EPA regs and promoting coal.
I'm baffled how/why people that love the outdoors care more about $$ than protecting the environment

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Maybe the politicians should promote zoysia , would help those employed as landscapers happy as well

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Not sure where I blamed you specifically for polluting the aquifer.:unsure:
Personally, I use no fertilizer on my lawn either.
Makes no sense to me to spend $$$ to give me more work and have to mow every 4 days while adding to the nitrogen problem.

I made a simple point that one side of the political spectrum supports protecting the environment.
The other is scaling back EPA regs and promoting coal.
I'm baffled how/why people that love the outdoors care more about $$ than protecting the environment
I understand you burn a lot of wood .. Do you think all that smoke is a good thing ? What if everyone on the Island burned wood ?
PS . I burn a fair amount every winter .......

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Actually I think so-called "landscapers" fear their livelihoods over those of us promoting zoysia as they can't sell all the chemical treatments and it doesn't need to be mowed nearly as often.

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Actually I think so-called "landscapers" fear their livelihoods over those of us promoting zoysia as they can't sell all the chemical treatments and it doesn't need to be mowed nearly as often.
How did you start your zoysia lawn ?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I've had them in the past. And while they're close, and much better than most, I think the Peconics are a bit better though.
I'm thinking your evaluations are influenced by how long the scallops have been out of the water. We usually eat Peconics within 24 hrs of harvesting while the MA product has a longer time frame. I know that the ones I got in Chicago had been frozen and obviously didn't the ethereal taste freshly caught Peconics, BUT they tasted the same to me as Peconics that I had frozen.

Bias opinions everywhere. :) How big are those meats ? Somewhere between the Mass. bay scallops and the GOM sea scallops ?
Same size, and species as the Mass Bay scallops Mud, "Old Blue Eyes", Argopecten irradians.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togman1