Peconic Porgy Slam-fest This Morning!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Headed out with my buddy Capt. Mike Bady of "The Captain's Table" Charters/Southold for a seriously excellent porgy trip this morning. Had more than enough bronto-class porgies by 0930 to make anyone happy.

On the way back West, dropped off some cleaned biggies with my Greek friend for charcoaling whole, and had plenty of lovely fillet for a Mexican-style fish taco extravaganza at my house for my son and grand-son. Do you like fish tacos? Ever have a Porgy fish taco - maybe at a place like Lucharitos, right off the water in Greenport? If you had, believe me, you would remember it! Deeelish!

These are the biggest kind of the silver menace, with MANY in the 18"-class. They are serious fighters on the right tackle! NOW is the time to get out there for the big bruisers, as once they leave in a couple of weeks, the smaller "Bay"-sized fish take over. Hey, with the general down-grading of many of our fisheries, its a shame not to take advantage of such an excellent opportunity to bend your rods.

Anyway, I was able to break in my brandy-new Black Hole Challenger Bank UL spinner - only needed 2oz all tide to hold. Holy-moly, what a pleasure battling them on that rod!

Gonna try to make one more "Mikey" porgy trip before the end of the month - and the start of my own fluke hunting.

Did I mention that Mike is the "Peconic Porgy King?" Well, he is . . .

IMG_1277_edited.jpg

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Awesome!!
Love making the run thru the locks and to peconic for porgies
Glad you had a good day
I agree that lb for lb porgies are some of the funnest best fighting fish on light tackle
Only thing that tops them is triggers but that’s another topic!
And yes we make porgy tacos year round out of our freezer filler porgy trips!!!

First break in the upcoming weather we get this week we are making the trip😎

PropellerJohnII

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
LNB
Headed out with my buddy Capt. Mike Bady of "The Captain's Table" Charters/Southold for a seriously excellent porgy trip this morning. Had more than enough bronto-class porgies by 0930 to make anyone happy.

On the way back West, dropped off some cleaned biggies with my Greek friend for charcoaling whole, and had plenty of lovely fillet for a Mexican-style fish taco extravaganza at my house for my son and grand-son. Do you like fish tacos? Ever have a Porgy fish taco - maybe at a place like Lucharitos, right off the water in Greenport? If you had, believe me, you would remember it! Deeelish!

These are the biggest kind of the silver menace, with MANY in the 18"-class. They are serious fighters on the right tackle! NOW is the time to get out there for the big bruisers, as once they leave in a couple of weeks, the smaller "Bay"-sized fish take over. Hey, with the general down-grading of many of our fisheries, its a shame not to take advantage of such an excellent opportunity to bend your rods.

Anyway, I was able to break in my brandy-new Black Hole Challenger Bank UL spinner - only needed 2oz all tide to hold. Holy-moly, what a pleasure battling them on that rod!

Gonna try to make one more "Mikey" porgy trip before the end of the month - and the start of my own fluke hunting.

View attachment 19567
Well done Pete! Plenty of good eats.

PropellerJohnII

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
LNB

View attachment 19567
Yep, in years past would have been out there already on the Celtic Quest . Having a ball and making good harvests.Maybe next year.:D

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Without any paty boats to use anyone know of ANY active boat ramps or even a path down to the waters edge that is passable by small boat, canoe or kayak? Or an open marina that allows launching for non town residents? A few is fine as long as it's not a yearly join thing... I'm far enough away that it wouldn't make sense and I would stop going as soon as the fishing picks up in Jamaica Bay. Post or PM replies would be GREATLY appreciated. My brother is out of work and my nephew is out of school. Catching fish would go a long way of spreading smiles on their faces.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
On the south side there is a marina on Noyack Rd Just before you make the turn to head North on Long Beach Rd to head to Sag Harbor. Not sure if they have a ramp or not though.
On the North side there's a nice ramp in New Suffolk but I'm pretty sure thats residents only.
Further west on the North Side is the ramp in South Jamesport. Its currently operated by the Town Of Riverhead but it used to be run by the state. I believe it is open to all state residents for a fee...

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I could be wrong but there may also be a ramp at Port Of Egypt in Southold? Many areas of peconic hold porgies so anywhere you can get in, you should be able to find some....

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Yeah I dont mind travelling within the bay, or even to get there but it seems from my research it's almost a no resident no access fishery. I'll research the responses. Definitely hoping one of them pans out. Porgy gold is my claim! I think I'm watching way too much gold prospect TV. Lol

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
The New Suffolk one is one I looked at. Def resident ramp. Have also been trying to get through to Shinnecock Marina but no one answers

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I could be wrong but there may also be a ramp at Port Of Egypt in Southold? Many areas of peconic hold porgies so anywhere you can get in, you should be able to find some....
I would call Port Of Egypt prior to making the trip, a couple years ago when town of Southold eliminated the guest passes to use the launching ramps, & made the the town ramps residents only, Port Of Egypt raised their price to $50 to use their ramp. I think Orient by the sea is still $20 to use the ramp.
John

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
John-
Can you pay a 1 day fee to use the South Jamesport ramp or do you have to buy a full season permit??

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think they are selling one day passes, at the moment they aren't selling anything. Printed the application for my senior pass & launch permit & sent it in with payment & stamped self address envelope 3 weeks ago still nothing. Past Friday they wanted only seniors to go wait on line at the parks dept for parking permits only, no launch permits. I sent an unanswered e mail to the parks dept they didn;t respond to a mail in application, but the town wants the most at risk group to go wait on line.
John

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Looks like fishing the bay is a lost cause. Really gets my goat that huge swathes of Americas coastline are off limits. Land of the free my arse. Lol. Will have to wait til they get closer to home. We never get fish quite that size though.

Do not despair Sinistre 1. I think I have a solution. Although you should call to confirm if it is open to the public, there is a launch ramp where I dock my boat, Brick Cove Marina, Southold (631- 477-0830. Only about 1 mile east of POE. This is a privately owned marina so I don't think you need to be a Southold town resident. It is well maintained and I believe the fee is $50. I know it's a little steep but the giant Porgy fishing will be solid for about the next 2 weeks. Plus, this location will put you within 15 minutes of the hot action!

Also, I would not suggest Orient by the Sea for a few reasons. First, it is under new ownership and the entire marina is undergoing renovation. In fact, as of last Wed. the entrance to the harbor was partially closed and the entire Marina was empty. Even if the ramp is functional, it is quite steep, and about a 12 mile run to the West to get into the Peconic Bay areas by Southold and to the West where the best fishing takes place. I don't know how large your boat is but if you had to contend with an east wind going back to Orient it might not be a pleasant ride. Trust me on this one; I am a relief Capt. for the Orient Star and know this area quite well.

I hope that helps.
Capt. Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Sinistre 1-
I have one major piece of advice for you.
Take whatever I or most people say as free advice and do you want with it.8-)
When captmike offers advice, Pay Attention and heed it(y)(y)
He will not steer you wrong...

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Do not despair Sinistre 1. I think I have a solution. Although you should call to confirm if it is open to the public, there is a launch ramp where I dock my boat, Brick Cove Marina, Southold (631- 477-0830. Only about 1 mile east of POE. This is a privately owned marina so I don't think you need to be a Southold town resident. It is well maintained and I believe the fee is $50. I know it's a little steep but the giant Porgy fishing will be solid for about the next 2 weeks. Plus, this location will put you within 15 minutes of the hot action!

Also, I would not suggest Orient by the Sea for a few reasons. First, it is under new ownership and the entire marina is undergoing renovation. In fact, as of last Wed. the entrance to the harbor was partially closed and the entire Marina was empty. Even if the ramp is functional, it is quite steep, and about a 12 mile run to the West to get into the Peconic Bay areas by Southold and to the West where the best fishing takes place. I don't know how large your boat is but if you had to contend with an east wind going back to Orient it might not be a pleasant ride. Trust me on this one; I am a relief Capt. for the Orient Star and know this area quite well.

I hope that helps.
Capt. Mike
Mike-
That's an interesting take/perspective on East wind if trying to get back to orient by the sea.
As you know, when I make my peconic trips I'm most concerned about SW wind as I have had many a brutal ride heading back to Shinnecock Canal in a 20+ SW wind and a 2-3' chop thru the South Race of Robins.......
Me and my boy are itching for the right conditions the first day we can make the trip

Hi Mitch,
Ovbiously you know from a good deal of experience that heading straight into a stiff SW returning from the Jessups Neck area to the Shinnecock is no fun. The South Race by Robins can be particularly nasty. And, the closer we get to summer the more the prevailing winds shift to the SW, with the afternoon hours being the most likely time for it to kick up. My advice to anyone working that area and heading in similar a direction is to plan for an early morning trip.

Regarding the right conditions for you and son, the forecast for tomorrow and Fri look pretty good. Personally I will be fishing Bass tomorrow and probably try Fluking on Friday. However, on the long range forecast next Tuesday and Wednesday both look very good for a Porgy trip in the Peconics. I will be heading there my self with a buddy next week. Also some nice weakfish mixed in.

Good luck and have a great, safe Holiday weekend.
Capt. Mike

Reactions: george

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
I'm a resident so I use the Southold ramps, but in the past I had paid Orient By The Sea to get out to the grounds quicker, since you're a stone's throw from the gut at that point.

What captmike says is absolutely true - you're better off paying double (assuming OBTS is even open) for one of the other Peconic side ramps. The ramp at Orient is dicey to say the least. It's a shame the DEC didn't build a proper ramp on the Sound side by Oysterponds.

Reactions: george

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II