Peconic Scup are Here!

Area: North Fork

Took advantage of today's excellent weather to check out a few drops on the Porgy beat in the Peconics. Although the action was not the insane non stop bite I know will develop in the coming days, I did enjoy consistent action all day with just a brief drop off during slack water. Kept 7 of the largest fish to 17" for dinner and returned what would easily have been a limit if I was looking for that many. More than a few private boats out as well and even saw the Celtic Grace checking out his drops for the start of their season this weekend.

Also tried a little diamond jigging again off Jessups on the flood and this time the fish were a bit more cooperative. Just schoolies but it was nice to bend the rod. Caught one about 22" and dropped another half way up. Saw a couple more caught on other boats working the area.

Time to get out and have a ball with those famous "Peconic Pork Chops" on light tackle!! Looking forward to putting my charter customers on some fine Scup action next week. Still one weekend open, 5/22,23 for my Spring Special, a full 6 hours of fishing for my normal half day rate.,
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
[email protected]

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Took advantage of today's excellent weather to check out a few drops on the Porgy beat in the Peconics. Although the action was not the insane non stop bite I know will develop in the coming days, I did enjoy consistent action all day with just a brief drop off during slack water. Kept 7 of the largest fish to 17" for dinner and returned what would easily have been a limit if I was looking for that many. More than a few private boats out as well and even saw the Celtic Grace checking out his drops for the start of their season this weekend.

Also tried a little diamond jigging again off Jessups on the flood and this time the fish were a bit more cooperative. Just schoolies but it was nice to bend the rod. Caught one about 22" and dropped another half way up. Saw a couple more caught on other boats working the area.

Time to get out and have a ball with those famous "Peconic Pork Chops" on light tackle!! Looking forward to putting my charter customers on some fine Scup action next week. Still one weekend open, 5/22,23 for my Spring Special, a full 6 hours of fishing for my normal half day rate.,
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
[email protected]
No weaks on the diamond jigs?

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018

Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
[email protected]
catch them up capt mike 8-) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><)))):>
><)))):>

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018

Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
[email protected]
Great news Capt Mike(y)
Hope to see you out there!!

No weaks on the diamond jigs?
No weaks so far on hook and line but I know the commercials are seeing them in the nets. Wont' be long now.

Also, to address Longcast's observation in his "Fishing Post" earlier today, there have been a lot of bunker everywhere for at least 3 weeks. In fact, when I stopped by my bait guy on April 5 he had just gotten a few tubs with bunker so fresh they were still flopping around. I have seen plenty of dead ones in my harbor as well. Another very knowledgeable friend told me today that schools of Blues are already moving in and in some spots have cornered the bunker, choked off most of the oxygen, so those that were not consumed literally suffocated. I have not confirmed any Bluefish activity myself so far, but the bays are coming alive so anything is possible at this point.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James