Please Help Me Program My VHF Scan Function

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Learned Colleagues:

Weird, but the VHF on my boat does not have a "Scan All" function, it only scans channels I program in.

Besides 16 & 9, along with the local lobstah channel of 6, which channels should I program in and why?

Thanks!!

JoeBfishing

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
88a, that’s the one I hang on. JoeDaButcher...how bout ya... you copy?
How many, how many, how many... come back... pick it up!!

Chinacat

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Do you have WX on it?
On my Standard Horizon if there's a severe alert it automatically goes to the local WX station.
I still added the local WX in to my programmed scan channels just in case....

Aquarius

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
16, 9, 13, 22A (for CG information broadcast), and WX1 which used to be the NOAA weather broadcasts for the NY Bight. I also scan 68 which is the local channel for rec fisherman. Usually I only monitor 68 during the spring and fall. Too much BS and nonsense during the summer months.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Thanks for all the input. I got her programmed with too many channels, but I'll trim down eventually IF needed. I had the radio on for 2 hrs yesterday evening and the only time it stopped was 3X on Channel 9 for the local bridge opening. NOTHING on any other channel, even 16. Like boating traffic, radio traffic in these parts is just about non-existent.

Switched to "Priority" Scanning today which means it goes 16 to first channel in memory to 16 to second channel in memory to 16 to third channel in memory, etc. and once again, only the bridge channel had a couple of transmissions.

The Coast Guard wasn't even up yet...

Reactions: Old Mud

Bucktail

New Angler
Mar 9, 2019
19 for the Montauk fleet, 68 Shinnecock and east, too far westand the brain dead "yo Vinny is dat youse guys on da horizon" factor gets too much to stomach.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
19 for the Montauk fleet, 68 Shinnecock and east, too far westand the brain dead "yo Vinny is dat youse guys on da horizon" factor gets too much to stomach.
ROTFLMAO.

I don't miss those days at all on the old CBs of the late 70s.

I have my radio set up and scanning just about every channel. Believe it or not, it scanned for an hour Friday afternoon before it stopped, and that was someone on Ch 9 asking for a bridge opening. Ch 16 was silent all that time, and my "Goombas" Vinnie and Rocky stayed way down south out of range.

Yesterday early AM it was far more active as the lobster boys were complaining about their "Honey Do" lists on Ch 6...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myaquasport