Port Jeff: Bunker on the beach

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Walking the pup at Port Jeff. I noticed at least 2 dozen dead bunker washed up on the beach.

For some the cause of death was obvious from the missing chunks. Obviously blues are still in the area. Some still looked fresh with no marks.

Happy Thanksgiving....See you guys for fluke in May! Hope it is better than 2020.

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
Thank You for sharing.

Sometimes where I am, the blues would chase them in the basin.
This is before they had aerators put in. The bunker would die from
lack of oxygen and the place would stink. This would happen during
the summer.

While DEEP continues to investigate these events, staff believe the cause of the fish kills observed over the past month have been due to more Menhaden overwintering in the Sound this year, possibly due to a missed migration cue, leading them to succumb to the cold water temperatures and a lack of nourishment. <---- yup! :)

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
The beaches from the Northville oil platform, to Mattituck Inlet have been littered with so many dead bunker that the gulls are ignoring them.
John

• Wow
Reactions: wader

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
The beaches from the Northville oil platform, to Mattituck Inlet have been littered with so many dead bunker that the gulls are ignoring them.
John

That is so true. This past summer, small "pogy" (bunker) boats have been working the local waters and when the dead ones are too many the gulls, eagles and osprey ignore them too!!

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
There were more when I went back on Monday. Yes, the gulls were for the most part ignoring them. One did peck at one, then waded into the water to wash his beak.

To bad there isn't a way to collect them for farmers. They are great for fertilizer. I have seen pics where organic farmers place one in a hole, cover it a bit and then plant on top on the buried bunker. American Indians used to do this too.

Jan 10, 2019
My grandfather used to place a bunker head right under his tomato plant. He always had great tomatoes.

Thanks for bringing back that memory boatguy

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
Walking the pup at Port Jeff. I noticed at least 2 dozen dead bunker washed up on the beach.

For some the cause of death was obvious from the missing chunks. Obviously blues are still in the area. Some still looked fresh with no marks.

Happy Thanksgiving....See you guys for fluke in May! Hope it is better than 2020.
boatGuy staten island beaches too alot dead,,,,,,i would like some for the mojoe back yard mini farm to dig into my soi;,,,,, :),,,,,,,, ><)))):<
><)))):<
IMG_0781[1].JPGIMG_1168[1].JPGIMG_0619[1].JPG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outdoorsy