Port v Starboard

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Great read, thanks.

Written by a Brit I see. Interesting part is that in the UK & Ireland it's NOT Red Right Returning, but the other way, go figure. I'm not sure about the other countries, the ones that drive on the right side of the roads like the US.

Constant battle at Chez Roccus when I slip into nautical jargon aboard the boat with the Admiral, and my son. They both who constantly resist learning ANY of the proper names. I get on a boat, and it's all nautical talk. This reticence is especially ironic in that the Admiral is a retired a PT and God forbid I'm not accurate in my terminology when we get in any anatomical discussions.

Once, while on touring England and strolling along the Thames, I started remarking about some features of HMS Belfast. I got the "Why MUST you talk in that foreign language? It must have been invented by men because it makes no sense!!" In exasperation I came back with, "Hey we're going to St. Paul's later. Why not ask Admiral Nelson when we visit his tomb?"

A couple of Christmases ago, both the Admiral and my son got shirts with red "PORT" printed on the left sleeve and green "STARBOARD" the right, along with "BOW" in front and "STERN" on the back. It was all for naught, they still "No CAPEESH".

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Don't feel so doomed Sir Roccus. I have fished with guys who didn't know port from Stbd. A couple who have their own boats and have for years. They even Tuna fish. True and i can introduce you to two of them. UGH.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
OY, you think port & starboard is confusing? Go on a sailboat race!! Just about every part of a sailboat has at least 2 or 3 names and sailors will use all the names in the same screamed command.

After my first race I was like a deer in the headlights, and during the post-race summary at the local watering hole I complained to my mentor, "HTH will I ever learn all those terms?" "Don't worry, have a few beers. After a few more races you'll be talking just like the rest of us."

He was correct...

Reactions: Avenger

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
OY, you think port & starboard is confusing? Go on a sailboat race!! Just about every part of a sailboat has at least 2 or 3 names and sailors will use all the names in the same screamed command.

After my first race I was like a deer in the headlights, and during the post-race summary at the local watering hole I complained to my mentor, "HTH will I ever learn all those terms?" "Don't worry, have a few beers. After a few more races you'll be talking just like the rest of us."

He was correct...
One thing I will never have to worry about in my life time

Reactions: live bait
Coincidentally, just yesterday I had this conversation with one of my charter customers who asked when two vessels approach head on which side should they pass. I told him it's port to port (which thankfully he understood) just like in a car on the highway. Then he asks me if we were in England, where they drive on the opposite side of the road to the US, would the boating rules be the different. I explained that the Collison Regulations (Col-Regs) are the same internationally to avoid confusion and potential accidents.

Roccus,I did not know but find it very interesting that the Brits are using the buoy color coding system just the opposite of us here in the states. I guess they never got over the fact that we Americans like to do things our own way!:)

Last edited:

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
And....
Regarding red, right return etc., knowing when you are no longer "returning" and when you are "approaching" is whole other issue correct? For instance in between inlets, such as Shinnecock and Moriches....

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
And....
Regarding red, right return etc., knowing when you are no longer "returning" and when you are "approaching" is whole other issue correct? For instance in between inlets, such as Shinnecock and Moriches....
Red buoys are always next to the ocean, and green towards the bay when going parallel to the shore. At least that is the way it is between Deb's, Jones and Fire Island Inlets.

Reactions: Chinacat and pequa1

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sorop