Post up up your 2019/2020/2021/2022 Blackfishing Pix/Reports/Adventures/Musings

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Day Before Thanksgiving with Capt. Mike

Had another excellent trip on Mike's boat yesterday - fishing off Conn. and Fisher's Island on a breezy East End day.

First did the deeper thing for a bunch of keepers, and then over to the shallow jigging ground off Fisher's for more quality fishing. PLENTY of short action and a full boat limit for the four of us to 5lbs, plus the largest sea bass I've caught in at least 10 years - didn't weight him, but trust me, it was a monster. Now gutted and scaled, its waiting for Turkey Day festivities to end, so I can use the Asian steamed whole sea bass recipe from the "On The Water" website once again - it'll be a great switch-up from leftover turkey, believe me.

So that's it for Mike - his boat comes out next week after another successful charter season - and now we shift operations to my boat, heading West instead of East. Gotta say a weather prayer for some decent NY Bight sailing weather. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend everybody!

View attachment 56389

View attachment 56390

View attachment 56391
Fantastic! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Nice job guys!! I was hoping to get out again for some Tog. If not, looks like my season will be done till Spring
Day Before Thanksgiving with Capt. Mike

Had another excellent trip on Mike's boat yesterday - fishing off Conn. and Fisher's Island on a breezy East End day.

First did the deeper thing for a bunch of keepers, and then over to the shallow jigging ground off Fisher's for more quality fishing. PLENTY of short action and a full boat limit for the four of us to 5lbs, plus the largest sea bass I've caught in at least 10 years - didn't weight him, but trust me, it was a monster. Now gutted and scaled, its waiting for Turkey Day festivities to end, so I can use the Asian steamed whole sea bass recipe from the "On The Water" website once again - it'll be a great switch-up from leftover turkey, believe me.

So that's it for Mike - his boat comes out next week after another successful charter season - and now we shift operations to my boat, heading West instead of East. Gotta say a weather prayer for some decent NY Bight sailing weather. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend everybody!

View attachment 56389

View attachment 56390

View attachment 56391

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Asian Steamed Sea Bass - As Promised

Because I normally do not target sea bass I will take them as they come whilst fishing for other species. But, every once in a great while I do manage to hang one that is truly special. Such was the case this past Wednesday on Capt. Mike's boat - a true 4lb beauty. It might have a shocked look on its face, but I assure you, it was as big a surprise to me as it was to him.

11.23.22.jpg

Mike had zero doubt that I would prepare this fish whole - based on other fish cooking adventures that I've spoken of. And my favorite recipe for whole sea bass comes from the On the Water website, as can be found at this link:

Basically, you scale and gut it, wash out its cavity well, and remove the prickly fins and most of the tail.

IMG_4200.jpg

Then a bunch of Asian-inspired goodies get put onto (and into) the fish. These include scallions, slivered ginger, garlic, a thin-sliced lime, rinsed fermented black beans (very important), cilantro, and some sort of sliced hot-ish peppers - in this case we went with a big fat jalapeno - minus the seeds. Don't forget to put a series of angular slashes in the fish's sides, so to accept a generous amount of the various dressings. Also, pouring the soy sauce/honey/sherry over the fish prior to sealing it up under the tin foil will provide the proper flavor to the resulting broth.

IMG_4205 (2).jpg

Next, a double boiler-type homemade setup needs to be put together to suspend the fish above the boiling water, with a covering of heavy-duty tin foil to seal it in. We re-purposed our Circulon turkey pan, with its roasting rack installed, with a smaller stainless steel baking pan to hold the fish. Eight to ten minutes per pound of actual steam time is perfect.

Up top on the stove's two right-side burners, for 35 minutes, and good to go. Its vital to follow the part of the recipe directions regarding the final pouring of smokin' hot dark sesame oil onto the fish, both to crisp up the skin, as well as add the final ingredient to the broth that accumulated in the pan.

IMG_4205 (1).jpg

After that its a simple task to separate the meat from the backbone, and serve it with sides as you wish. We chose blistered shishito peppers done in our air fryer, simple white rice, shrimp-filled gyoza, and Asian-inspired broccoli florets made by partially steaming the veggie in our handy-dandy microwave steamer, and then finishing it in a frying pan with peanut oil, garlic, and our "special find" Asian sauce called Bachan's Japanese Barbecue Sauce (available at Costco - and HIGHLY recommended!)

69050560646__D65C227B-C3CD-46C7-93B2-2FED5A526FB8.jpg

Let's just say all that was left was the head and and spine.

IMG_4208 (2).jpg

IMG_4208 (1).jpg

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019

Because I normally do not target sea bass, rather, I take them as they come whilst fishing for other species, every once in a great while I manage to hang one that is truly special. Such was the case this past Wednesday on Capt. Mike's boat - a true 4lb beauty.

View attachment 56461

Mike had zero doubt that I would prepare this fish whole - based on other fish cooking adventures that I've told him about. And my favorite recipe for whole sea bass comes from the On the Water website, as can be found at this link:

Basically, you scale and gut it, wash out its cavity well, and remove the prickly fins and most of the tail.

View attachment 56462

Then a bunch of Asian-inspired goodies get put onto (and into) the fish. These include scallions, slivered ginger, garlic, a thin-sliced lime, fermented black beans (very important), cilantro, and some sort of sliced hot-ish peppers - in this case we went with a big fat jalapeno - minus the seeds. Don't forget to put a series of angular slashes in the fish's sides, so to accept a generous amount of the various dressings. Also, pouring the soy sauce/honey/sherry over the fish prior to sealing it up under the tin foil will provide the proper flavor to the resulting broth.

View attachment 56463

Next, a double boiler-type homemade setup needs to be put together to suspend the fish above the boiling water, with a covering of heavy-duty tin foil to seal it in. Eight to ten minutes per pound of actual steam time and its ready to go. We re-purposed our Circulon turkey roasting pan, with its roasting rack installed, with a smaller stainless steel baking pan to hold the fish.

Up top on the stove's two right-side burners, for 35 minutes, and good to go. Its vital to follow the part of the recipe directions regarding the final pouring of smokin' hot dark sesame oil onto the fish, both to crisp up the skin, as well as add the final ingredient to the broth that accumulated in the pan.

View attachment 56464

After that its a simple task to separate the meat from the backbone, and serve it with sides as you wish. We chose blistered shishito peppers done in our air fryer, simple white rice, shrimp-filled gyoza, and Asian-inspired broccoli florets made by first steaming the veggie in our microwave steamer and then finishing them in a frying pan with peanut oil, garlic, and our "special find" Asian sauce called Bachan's Japanese Barbecue Sauce (available at Costco - and HIGHLY recommended!)

View attachment 56465

View attachment 56466

View attachment 56467
Absolutely amazing!! WOW!!

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip

Because I normally do not target sea bass, rather, I take them as they come whilst fishing for other species, every once in a great while I manage to hang one that is truly special. Such was the case this past Wednesday on Capt. Mike's boat - a true 4lb beauty. It might have a shocked look on its face, but I assure you, it was as big a surprise to me as it was to him.

View attachment 56461

Mike had zero doubt that I would prepare this fish whole - based on other fish cooking adventures that I've spoken of. And my favorite recipe for whole sea bass comes from the On the Water website, as can be found at this link:

View attachment 56462

Then a bunch of Asian-inspired goodies get put onto (and into) the fish. These include scallions, slivered ginger, garlic, a thin-sliced lime, rinsed fermented black beans (very important), cilantro, and some sort of sliced hot-ish peppers - in this case we went with a big fat jalapeno - minus the seeds. Don't forget to put a series of angular slashes in the fish's sides, so to accept a generous amount of the various dressings. Also, pouring the soy sauce/honey/sherry over the fish prior to sealing it up under the tin foil will provide the proper flavor to the resulting broth.

View attachment 56463

Next, a double boiler-type homemade setup needs to be put together to suspend the fish above the boiling water, with a covering of heavy-duty tin foil to seal it in. Eight to ten minutes per pound of actual steam time and its ready to go. We re-purposed our Circulon turkey pan, with its roasting rack installed, with a smaller stainless steel baking pan to hold the fish.

View attachment 56464

After that its a simple task to separate the meat from the backbone, and serve it with sides as you wish. We chose blistered shishito peppers done in our air fryer, simple white rice, shrimp-filled gyoza, and Asian-inspired broccoli florets made by first steaming the veggie in our microwave steamer and then finishing it in a frying pan with peanut oil, garlic, and our "special find" Asian sauce called Bachan's Japanese Barbecue Sauce (available at Costco - and HIGHLY recommended!)

View attachment 56465

View attachment 56466

View attachment 56467
That looks phenomenal!!! Great job!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Blackfish Tuesday

Once again hit my fav local reef with Kevin/Loncast and Capt. Mike, but just couldn't get the fish started. Made three drops and didn't lose a crab. Enough - ran to Jersey, only to find a local charter boat sitting squarely on my numbers, with his anchors so spread that I couldn't drop on either side piece, which are also good. Should have gone straight there. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, nearly always the case when chasing these weirdo fish.

Anyway, gave it a shot on an alternate piece of bottom near there (actually, I think its a close buddy's fav drop), for a bunch of shorts and one decent keep. What to do? Wait it out, hoping for a bite on the change, or switch it up?

Meh, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made a minor move, got right on a narrow peak I like, and shortly had a real good pick going. We sorted thru a TON of shorts to almosts, for a final catch count of 6 Rec units to 5lbs. Had to have caught at least a "limit" of 15"+ Comm keepers, but we ain't Comm, so back they went. In any case, it was such a nice, calm day that even the modest final count wasn't too hard to take. Scooted back to the dock at 23mph and had her shaped up and the fish cutting finished just as it got dark - Mike and Kevin are truly a first-class crew.

Leave in the dark, finish in the dark, just the way it is this time of the season.

IMG_4212.jpg

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Blackfish Tuesday

Hit my fav local reef with Kevin/Loncast and Capt. Mike, but just couldn't get them started. Made three drops and didn't lose a crab. Enough - ran to Jersey, only to find a local charter boat sitting squarely on my numbers, with his anchors so spread that I couldn't drop on either side piece, which are also good. Should have gone straight there. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, nearly always the case when chasing these weirdo fish.

Anyway, gave it a shot on an alternate piece of bottom near there (actually, I think its a close buddy's fav drop), for a bunch of shorts and one decent keep. What to do? Wait it out, hoping for a bite on the change, or switch it up?

Meh, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made a minor move, got right on a narrow peak I like, and shortly had a real good pick going. We sorted thru a TON of shorts to almosts, for a final catch count of 6 Rec units to 5lbs. Had to have caught at least a "limit" of 15"+ Comm keepers, but we ain't Comm. In any case, it was such a nice, calm day that even the modest final count wasn't too hard to take. Scooted back to the dock at 23mph and had her shaped up and the fish cutting finished just as it got dark - Mike and Kevin are truly a first-class crew.

Leave in the dark, finish in the dark, just the way it is this time of the season.

View attachment 56581
Way to grind it out and get some keepers on board. It was a really nice day on the ocean yesterday. I went for bass, nada.

Reactions: Leprechaun

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar