Post up up your 2019/2020/2021 Blackfishing Pix/Reports/Adventures/Musings

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
In my town of Wantagh/Seaford there's no regulation that prohibits it. Go a mile or two East, to Massapequa and its a different situation - or so I’m told. Might have to do with Wantagh/Seaford being so heavily thought of as a waterfront community.

Years ago I had one uppity neighbor surreptitiously attempt to recruit some of my other neighbors into filing some some sort of complaint. That went nowhere, as I keep a good amount of them in fresh fish. Plus a bunch of them are admirers of the Lep, and enjoy chit-chatting with me every Spring, during my annual Spring spiffing - and are very good friends with my wife as well.

So in frustration (I guess) the wanna-be “ring leaders” went all alone to the 7th Precinct, where they were told “the way the cow eats the cabbage” here in Wantagh, regarding this subject. Case closed.

The funny part is they think I don’t know what they tried to do. They talk “Patty-cake” nice with me, when they see me. Yeah, real authentic people. Regardless, I do try to stay on otherwise good terms with them. No sense in being antagonistic - though one day I WILL tell them what I think of them and their antics, and in no uncertain terms too.

What did LBJ used to say? “Better to have your enemies inside the tent peeing out, rather than outside the tent peeing in.” As a professional salesman, that’s just one of the many mottos I live by.

As far as putting a hardtop on her, I passed on that option when I first bought and fish-rigged her 25 years ago. Stability while drifting in an ocean trough was one of my prime objectives, that’s why I bought a keeled inboard in the first place. Putting several hundred pounds of fiber-glassed plywood up high would seriously detract from an 8’-beamed boat’s stability, whilst drifting in a bad ocean. Which unfortunately, happens all too often.

Togilator

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks for the response Pete,I knew in certain LI towns there had to be some sort of ordinance.Its just the NY way to stick fees up everyones kister!

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Looks like my other "season-end" vendor has also come through for me. Squiggy's Boat Service has been doing my shrink wrapping since forever, though the "original" Squiggy is now living his best retired life down in Florida. His number one man, Chino, has taken over the business, while maintaining the same high level of customer service.

His office called on Monday, asking if I wanted to move my appointment up from the 30th to yesterday. Of course! No more snow storms on my canvas, please!

So bright and early yesterday Chino and his crew got right down to business, I didn't say "boys," because he now has a young lady working with him. That's pretty unusual in the marine trades, I would say! They had her rigged, covered and properly shrinked in about a half hour. The boat I mean, not the young lady. That would be weird. Pretty work, as always. Today I'll bring in the dehumidifier to get the residual snow-caused moisture out from under the cover. No black mold on the soft surfaces, please!

Man, its gonna be a looong Winter 'til I start hunting fluke again next May! Ooohfaaa!

IMG_1992_edited.jpg

IMG_1993_edited.jpg

IMG_1994_edited.jpg

If you are looking for a mobile Marine Shrink and/or Detailing service, I can certainly recommend Chino - as good as it gets. . .
IMG_1995_edited.jpg

HighHook4Hire

New Angler
Aug 19, 2019
IMG_2366.JPG

Welp I finally did it! Got my 10# tog. I kept saying the past few trips that I would take a slow day for the chance at a tackle buster.... Little did I know the excruciating pain of watching everyone else launch keepers over the rail as I could do nothing right! Got mugged to death out of what felt like my best chance of keeper redemption for the day. Snagged up my last rig and put both rods away as it felt failure was inevitable, but the little voice in my head said, "Hey buddy, you still have a leader on your jig rod. Drop it down and see what happens." I kept bouncing the jig every 30 seconds or so to make sure i could detect and try to alleviate any snags before they became too far gone, and one time there was a weird sensation... I felt a weight but did not feel any bite. I started to reel up the weight that felt almost like a dead line that I had found from some other anglers misadventure, but all of a sudden a big head shake!!!!! I reeled down and set the hook and it was game on! The BH 701L was bent in half and the drag on the twinpower screamed for one beastly run back towards the bottom. Managed to keep the fishes head up and everything held for two more runs. Into the net goes a beauty of 10# male white chin. Lesson learned here, be careful what you wish for, but be thankful for what you get! Merry Christmas folks!!! The addiction continues.... Hopefully the first of many!

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
View attachment 28765

Welp I finally did it! Got my 10# tog. I kept saying the past few trips that I would take a slow day for the chance at a tackle buster.... Little did I know the excruciating pain of watching everyone else launch keepers over the rail as I could do nothing right! Got mugged to death out of what felt like my best chance of keeper redemption for the day. Snagged up my last rig and put both rods away as it felt failure was inevitable, but the little voice in my head said, "Hey buddy, you still have a leader on your jig rod. Drop it down and see what happens." I kept bouncing the jig every 30 seconds or so to make sure i could detect and try to alleviate any snags before they became too far gone, and one time there was a weird sensation... I felt a weight but did not feel any bite. I started to reel up the weight that felt almost like a dead line that I had found from some other anglers misadventure, but all of a sudden a big head shake!!!!! I reeled down and set the hook and it was game on! The BH 701L was bent in half and the drag on the twinpower screamed for one beastly run back towards the bottom. Managed to keep the fishes head up and everything held for two more runs. Into the net goes a beauty of 10# male white chin. Lesson learned here, be careful what you wish for, but be thankful for what you get! Merry Christmas folks!!! The addiction continues.... Hopefully the first of many!
Where’d you fish?

HighHook4Hire

New Angler
Aug 19, 2019
I was fishing on the Axel Carlson reef in NJ.

Lep I use a 4k. Got it after they remade the TP and I found an "old version" at a much more palatable price. It was about the same as a Sustain with the closeout pricing. I am a big fan, but a Stadic will do just fine against the $500 normal MSRP.

Togilator

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Congrats man,well done.Fine choice of tackle used.Enjoy the high!

Reactions: HighHook4Hire

OVERBORED

Angler
Jan 6, 2021
2020 was a tale of 2 oceans for me......Hot fishing out east with easy limits.......constant struggles to the west with an occasional limit and buckets full of frustration! Nothing over 10 for me but plenty of 6-8s out east.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Well, all the fluke gear is now off the boat and back in the garage, the two Winter "bridling" anchors are aboard and properly rigged, I've been snelling hooks and tying rigs non-stop, all the tog reels are gone thru (again!), the outfits are now fully rigged and ready - all we need is for the calendar to hurry the hell up!

Let's Go!.jpg

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT