Post up up your 2019/2020 Blackfishing Pix/Reports/Adventures/Musings

Just finished back to back Tog Charters on Sunday and Monday with solid results both days. Weather conditions allowed me to work my Fishers I. drops and lots of life found on nearly every spot.

Sunday found Bill and his crew of 4 head east with quite a bit more SE breeze than originally forecast. That along with the strong new moon tides meant we had to find a place to hide quickly. Started in a favorite 42’ drop at the end of the ebb. Very fast action here for about an hour with many shorts, a couple of nice 18” keepers and a handful of tasty Sea Bass. Tide shifted and moved us off the piece so it was time to move.

Tried one more spot nearby but things were pretty quiet here. So, moved on to another “old reliable” super sticky spot in the vicinity in only 35’ of water. Took about 15 minutes for the bite to build but then it was lights out for the last 3 hours of the trip. Did a lot of sorting but still had no problem icing a boat limit to 6# along with several more nice Sea Bass. Lost one well over 7# right at the boat and busted off a couple of other brutes that were not going to be denied their favorite rock! Guys went home with full bags of filet and lots of smiles.

Monday with Mitch, his Dad, and Chef Nader we found much nicer sea conditions and a short one-hour window for me to try one of my deeper 70’ drops to start. Once again, action was non stop with many shorts, 3 nice keepers to 4#, and a few keeper Sea Bass before the tide was cranking and a move was required. Back to the scene of Sunday’s hot bite but things seemed to have cooled off a bit there. Only a bunch of shorts for about an hour’s effort. So, we made a small adjustment and got the solid bite going with plenty of keepers again in the same vicinity. Size range was similar to the prior day with top fish just under 6#. Only lost a couple of larger fish on the light spinning tackle but a thoroughly enjoyable day. Cruised back to port with a full boat limit on beautiful flat calm seas.

Sorry, no photos the past 2 trips as I was working my tail off freeing snagged rigs, retying hooks, cutting crabs, and fileting fish. I promise to do better next time.

Next 3 weekends are full but I had a cancellation for the Nov. 14 weekend. So, right now the open Holiday/weekend days left on my calendar are 11/11,14,15. Weekdays are often a bit more flexible if you can sneak in a day off from work.

Give me a call to cash in on another great Tog season on the North Fork.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Well, I was on the Monday trip Capt. Mike referred to above.
It was every bit as great as he described!!
Non stop action all day.
I highly recommend a trip with him. You wont be disappointed👍👍

Had Jeremy’s group out yesterday and the hot Blackfish bite just keeps rolling. I originally planned to give them about an hours time jig fishing in a favorite shallow spot but we lost our tide window due to the Pea soup fog. Moving along at barely 10 kts, eyes glued to the radar and chart plotter all the way, it took us over 90 minutes to get to the CT shoreline at a safe speed.

However, once on the scene we had the perfect stage of the tide to work my mid-range reef spot in 50’. Action was instant as the baits hit the bottom. First a couple of keeper Sea Bass, then some small Tog, and finally the keepers got hungry. We boxed 10 nice Tog to 6.5# before the tide change shifted the boat off the piece. One quick re anchoring job and we were back into the bite again on the strength of the flood. Easily reached our boat limit in the next 20 minutes and the guys played C&R for another hour while I cleaned the catch. Really nice average size on this trip with many of the keepers in the 4-5# class.

Amazingly 11/11 (Veterans Day), 11/14,15 are still open so now is the time to call me before these dates are snatched up.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

102220jeremytog.jpg102220grouptog.jpg

My streak of consecutive boat limit Tog trips hit 5 yesterday thanks to the efforts of John and his party of 4.

Wind and sea conditions allowed us to start at my favorite shallow water drop on the CT side of the Sound for some light tackle jigging. Within a few minutes Ricky put a nice 17” keeper in the box and it looked like it could be a “one stop shopping” day. Unfortunately, the pattern quickly changed to a constant parade of short Tog and a few Porgy’s. Even a small move in the same vicinity did not change our luck. I’m a little baffled since this particular spot has been extremely strong for me over the course of many years, regardless of the water temps or time of season.

So, off we go to the nearby reef in 50’ and once the boat settled on anchor the fun began. A similar pattern to the last couple of trips here where we started with about 15 minutes of short Tog and a few Sea Bass. Then, the switch was flipped and the keepers started coming at a steady pace. In just over 2 hours we managed to limit the boat with several of the keepers in the 4-6# class. John made everyone smile, including the Captain, as he decked his personal best, an 8.2# brute during the middle of the hot bite. So, we got to head in a little early with a lot of “high fives” and full bags of filet!

I still have 3 good dates in November open, 11/11 (Veteran’s Day), plus the weekend of 11/14,15. The water temps are still hovering around 60 degrees and typically our best Blackfishing occurs as the water drops into the 50’s. So, now is the time to act if you want a shot at the great North Fork Tog bite.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

102420decktog.jpg102420grouptog.jpg102420woods82tog.jpg

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
hit the western sound again today on the snowgoose.....short city...but my keeper won the pool

NEXT 3 WEEKENDS////Rhode Island...Mattituck....Rhode Island

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
hit the western sound again today on the snowgoose.....short city...but my keeper won the pool

NEXT 3 WEEKENDS////Rhode Island...Mattituck....Rhode Island
I am bailing on sats RI tog...weather looks bad even though sat is a lil calmer the bite won't be there

As so often happens this time of year the weatherman blew another forecast yesterday. The late evening/early morning prediction was for light E/SE wind until around 11 a.m. shifting to light NW with just some light intermittent showers. By the time the Sal party charter reached the first drop we were greeted to a steady rain and 12-15 kt. NE wind that continued until at least 1 p.m. Definitely a full “rain gear” type of day.

Regardless, the Tog were still very enthusiastic on the CT side of the Sound in 50’ and in a little over 2 hours on the flood we were putting the last of our limit catch into the box. Average sizes were a bit smaller today than recent trips but as usual top fish of the day was just over 6#. As the ebb tide started to crank, we moved into a nearby shallow spot to play a little C&R with the spinning gear and very popular jig technique

Despite a slow start at this spot the last few trips, todays results were a lot more encouraging. We managed to catch a few dozen Tog of various size returning at least 5 nice keepers. Sal himself had the best fish on the jig including a fat 5.2# beauty. Hard to beat the excitement of those strong Blackfish surges on the spinning gear. Naturally, as we pulled anchor to head back to port the wind finally backed off and the sky dried out!

So, that makes 6 limit trips in a row for the Captain’s Table! Still 3 prime November date left, 11/11 (Veteran’s Day) and 11/14,15 weekend if you want to enjoy this fast action and fill your freezer one last time for the season. Give me a call soon as I have been getting some inquiries on those dates.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

102820salspintog.jpg

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Good job Capt I launched out of Marttituck yesterday morning & wasn't bothered so much by the rain, but the N/E wouldn't allow me to get close to where I wanted to go, ended up with just a couple of shorts & one keeper. I did find a rather large school of short stripers which were fun on light tackle. When the bass were gone the sounder still showed fish on the bottom & two keeper sea bass were eager to take a jig. While on anchor annoyed at the conditions, I could see & hear three roofers working in the rain on the roof of a new construction, so I guess I didn't have it so bad after all.
John

Reactions: Chinacat

Stevepanther

New Angler
Apr 5, 2019
They chewed good this am fished central north shore this am boxed a quick 5 man limit by 8am no monster but a lot of 5-6 lb fish tried a couple deeper drops for c bass ended up with ten keepers at the dock before 11am

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
The storm did not affect the Rhode Island bite today....but I'm still happy I didn't go....COLD!!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Fished with Capt. Mike on his charterboat "The Captain's Table" out of Greenport, along with Savvy18 - aka: the famed west end "Togbuster." Hit one of Mike's fav Fisher's Island drops for some light tackle jigging, and one of his deeper stuff once the moon tide slacked.

Ridiculously cold in the morning, with his dock completely iced - like a skating rink. Luckily, none of us old men fell - a major achievement, in and of itself. Had the full monte "January weather gear" on, which felt a bit weird, with it still being October. By 11:00 the wind and cold backed off and we began taking off layers of clothes - including in my case my thermal undies, until I was down to a single layer flannel shirt and jeans, under my skins. What a huge temp swing that was.

Anyway, no pix, but between the two drops we put together a nice limit of fish to 6+lbs by 12:45. Plenty of life out there, including a monstrous whale that broke right in front of us, going straight up, eating some of the enormous quantities of bunker that are just infesting that area right now.

Didn't hang any of the famed east end biggies this trip, but that area is just now rounding into form. I expect to get a few more trips in out there, in addition to running my own boat, here to the West. A good friend had a 10 and a 12 on his boat yesterday, here in my area - so it looks good for the West as well in the coming weeks. Now if we could only get a stretch of consistent weather, perhaps we could do a little damage outside of JI.

For once, the weatherman was wrong in our favor for the Adam party charter yesterday. Saturday evening’s forecast called for spotty showers in the morning with the Southwesterly winds building to small craft levels by noon with steady rain. Fortunately, when we turned the corner at the Orient Lighthouse, we found nearly flat conditions on the Sound and instead of fishing the LI drops I headed right back to the CT reef that has been super solid this season.

The strength of the full moon flood tide required 16 oz. sinkers for the first 90 minutes on site, which I hate, but the fish bit well through the strong tide anyway. As usual we sorted through many shorts but consistently put keepers in the box all morning. By 11:30, just before slack water, we were only 3 fish short of the boat limit for the party of 5 with the top fish going 6.5#. Once I repositioned the boat on the start of the ebb it took less than an hour for the guys to fill out the limit while I was busy cleaning the catch. Although the wind did start to come up to around 15 kts. mid-morning it surprisingly backed off again following the change. So, we cruised home on very comfortable seas with the steady rain not starting until we were only 20 minutes out of port. Thankfully, my boat limit streak continues, now standing at 8 straight trips!

Since last week 2 more dates have been taken so now the only weekend date left before Thanksgiving is Sunday 11/15. It would be a shame to miss out on such a steady Tog bite this season so give me a call soon!

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell
11120davetog6.5.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Sailed to my fav Jersey drops yesterday with Brian/Flukerr as crew. Turning West from JI we were greeted with pretty awful tight 3'+ West wind-driven wave action - resulting in being able to make no more than 15mph for the first 12 miles - and even at that speed, it was pretty uncomfortable. Another blown NOAA forecast - not nice at all.

Saw some bird action on the way there, but nothing so great that it called for stopping for the jig bite that I keep hearing about. In truth, a dock mate did find some such action a bit later in the morning, but we were long gone, far to the West by that time.

Anyway, once we got about 8 miles from our drops, the ocean laid down enough that I could throttle up a bit and make 20mph. Arrived there to find MUCH less boat action that I would have thought - maybe the west end fleet stayed on their local reefs. Good!

Got on my first drop no issues, but also nearly no bite. A short here and there, but nothing for the box. Tried to get them started for an hour or so - as the reports from the previous day were that it was strictly a morning bite. Yeah, umm, no.

So we pulled anchor and wiggled to a taller piece that I like. Careful attention to the wind/tide equation had us hit it right off - a perfect strike. A few more fat shorts here, but it still wasn't looking all that great. Running a boat for west-end tog isn’t always a slam-dunkaroo. Not anymore, anyway. Most times you have to put in the sweat equity to get the preferred results.

But then the keepers started coming, on my fav bait - baby whites. We worked thru the second half of the tide with the size of the fish increasing as the tide backed off - with me hanging a trip-best 6lb fish on a 2oz Magic Tail jig - nice when you can spend a few hours in 65+' fishing a jig.

So it went - working our way to better than a boat limit - tossing back solid keepers, until we pulled out at 1:30 for the long ride back to Freeport. Tried running the 50' depth range all the way from AB to JI - but didn't see much of anything - few fish rolls here and there, but no quantity to jig. Brian did get a pair of nice fat shad on his AVA, but that was about it. We did have some decent-sized bass swirl on the surface, chasing sand eels while we were anchored up togging, so there's something you don't see every day. Way too busy catching blackfish to bother with trying to catch those bass - just the way I roll.

Despite the miserable ride down there, it was actually gorgeous for most of the morning, with me ending up in a short sleeve tee, and no bibs. What a beautiful Nov day it turned out to be.

1111.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Spent a GORGEOUS day on my buddy Captain Mike's "The Captain's Table," along with Nader Gabril, a.k.a.: the famous "Chef Nader" of the Huntington restaurant of the same name - which unfortunately he just closed down, preferring instead to being a for-hire private chef. I hear it was a super-smart decision on his part. Hey, the guy has 17,000 followers on Facebook!

We fished in extremely shallow water, for very good-sized tog. Only need a 1oz jig, with fish-a'plenty through the tide. We limited the boat by 10:00 in the morning, with Nader's 8lb12oz and my 6lb8oz fish the best of the day.

After we got to the "tossing back keepers" phase of the trip, Mike decided to switch it up, hitting a pet drop in 50' of water - for a serious bunch more fish, including many more keepers to 6lbs.

This had to be one of the nicest overall November tog trips I've ever been on. 70-degrees, 5mph W breeze and soft quarter-moon tides came together perfectly. Capt. Mike called it last nite, and hit it right on the head. Kudos! Pix attached.

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

NoFlukenName

New Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Had a great week chartering last week by Plum Island. Lots of quality tog to 8 pounds caught and many happy customers! all caught on jigs - never had to go above 1 ounce and was able to stay in the 1/2 ounce range most trips....

Attachments

• 3EC4CB31-8AD7-4B44-8954-F59F9B8CD9E9.jpeg
    3EC4CB31-8AD7-4B44-8954-F59F9B8CD9E9.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 8111E7FD-5703-4F45-A5D4-9DDE2158C5A6.jpeg
    8111E7FD-5703-4F45-A5D4-9DDE2158C5A6.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 35DE5BEB-C814-4071-9F44-9FB4579E7530.jpeg
    35DE5BEB-C814-4071-9F44-9FB4579E7530.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 90C3E9B1-BA58-41E5-9748-535B20D69E53.jpeg
    90C3E9B1-BA58-41E5-9748-535B20D69E53.jpeg