Post up up your 2019/2020 Blackfishing Pix/Reports/Adventures/Musings

Tigashrk

Angler
Mar 3, 2019
I’m not one for long detailed reports but I fished three days, Saturday to Monday in Montauk on my boat. Had myself plus 4 on Saturday and myself plus one Sunday and Monday. The fishing was great for me. Here’s a quick video of Saturdays deck dump.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.MP4
    12 MB · Views: 0
Had a great week chartering last week by Plum Island. Lots of quality tog to 8 pounds caught and many happy customers! all caught on jigs - never had to go above 1 ounce and was able to stay in the 1/2 ounce range most trips....
Hi John,
Nice to see you back on the water and "putting the hurt" on the Tog population again. Nicely done!!
Mike

Reactions: NoFlukenName
Logged 2 more Blackfish charters this week as the North Fork Tog season, at least for me, is drawing to a close.

Managed to get out this past Wednesday for Veteran’s Day with the Mitch party of 5 and despite some dire predictions for rain and strong winds we managed to dodge another bullet from the weatherman. Started on the CT reef that has been hot for me most of this season but after a fast 4# fish and another 16” keeper the bite quickly shifted to all shorts as the ebb tide increased. Another quick stop in the local shallows found us drop another keeper right at the boat, close to the same as the first fish of the day.
Then again we found a parade of shorts.

Based upon a good tip and some better than expected sea conditions we steamed over to Fishers I. First stop in the 40’ depths produced many shorts while the ebb was still strong but as the tide began to back off the keepers tarted coming. Put about 6 more in the box before it was time to check on the normally reliable deep drops. Out to the 75’ area and enjoyed a steady bite the last 2 hours of the trip reaching a boat limit to 5.5# with a couple of nice Sea Bass mixed in.

Yesterday’s strong NW wind meant only one reasonable location for the very private charter of just Steve and his wife Heidi. The bite on the CT reef was back to a nice mix of constant action and enough keepers to 5# to allow us to reach the boat limit in under 2 hours before the screaming new moon ebb tide blew us off the piece. We played a little C&R in some of the nearby shallow spots before calling it a day as the happy couple went home with tons of sweet Tog filets for several dinners to come.

Can’t believe it but we are only 2 weeks away from the end of my season. The only remaining dates for charter opportunities are the next 2 Sundays, 11/22,29. Don’t miss out on what I think most will agree has been an exceptional Tog season on the North Fork!

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell
shtog114120.jpg

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
Spent a GORGEOUS day on my buddy Captain Mike's "The Captain's Table," along with Nader Gabril, a.k.a.: the famous "Chef Nader" of the Huntington restaurant of the same name - which unfortunately he just closed down, preferring instead to being a for-hire private chef. I hear it was a super-smart decision on his part. Hey, the guy has 17,000 followers on Facebook!

We fished in extremely shallow water, for very good-sized tog. Only need a 1oz jig, with fish-a'plenty through the tide. We limited the boat by 10:00 in the morning, with Nader's 8lb12oz and my 6lb8oz fish the best of the day.

After we got to the "tossing back keepers" phase of the trip, Mike decided to switch it up, hitting a pet drop in 50' of water - for a serious bunch more fish, including many more keepers to 6lbs.

This had to be one of the nicest overall November tog trips I've ever been on. 70-degrees, 5mph W breeze and soft quarter-moon tides came together perfectly. Capt. Mike called it last nite, and hit it right on the head. Kudos! Pix attached.

View attachment 26755

View attachment 26756
Sounds like you guys had a good day. Nice job!
I was trying to put together something late this season with Capt, Mike but it didn’t materialize. I will definitely get out with him next season.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Sounds like you guys had a good day. Nice job!
I was trying to put together something late this season with Capt, Mike but it didn’t materialize. I will definitely get out with him next season.
Occh-
Definitely make it a point to get out with Capt Mike. I too wanted to get out with him for awhile and this year was finally the year. Me and my 82 year old dad fished with him and chef Nader was on board too. We had awesome weather and Capt Mike went above and beyond to give us a memorable day. Nader put on a clinic as well but it was all about Mike putting us on the meat!!

Reactions: movetheboat

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
Occh-
Definitely make it a point to get out with Capt Mike. I too wanted to get out with him for awhile and this year was finally the year. Me and my 82 year old dad fished with him and chef Nader was on board too. We had awesome weather and Capt Mike went above and beyond to give us a memorable day. Nader put on a clinic as well but it was all about Mike putting us on the meat!!
Thanks your the second guy(Pete) being the second, that recommended me Capt Mike. I want to get to him early next season because I really enjoy shallow water drops with jigs as preferred to those deep, ripping current ,16oz sinker days. Truth be told I don’t really enjoy using a sinker at all for blackfish anymore.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Welp, no sense writing a long missive. Brian/Flukerr and I made the slightly bouncy run to Jersey, hitting a buddy's fav spot, as mine was ocupado - for a few shorts. Moved to my best drop once the prior tenant vacated - got on it dead nuts, and sat there thru the day, looking for a bite to develop on the change - result? Two small rec keepers and a bunch of comm-sized throw-backs. And three hundred bergals, plus one lonely bow wow. Put back the two keeps for karmic purposes and ran home on a gorgeous ocean. That's our story, and I'm stickin' to it. Some days are just like that. P

Once again, the weatherman has been kind to us this Blackfish season as the 5-man Justin party joined me yesterday for a day of mild temperatures, light winds, and a solid Tog bite.

With the quarter phase moon tides, we headed straight for my favorite 70’ deep drops by Fishers I. and enjoyed steady action for our first 2 hours on site. During that time, we boxed nearly half of our limit although the only disappointing part was the average size was smaller than previous trips with top fish of the morning only hitting 4#. Hoping to improve on the sizes I moved a little south into slightly shallower water and again found a steady bite of similar sized fish but with one Tog topping the 5# mark. We filled out the boat limit here before the flood tide finally blew us off this piece.

Finished up the trip with some shallow water jigging to entertain the crew while I filleted the catch. I must say that even a 3# Blackfish on light spinning tackle will get a big smile out of any angler!

Tigashrk

Angler
Mar 3, 2019
I fished for tog too Saturday. Two man limit, one stop shopping. Picked up a couple of sea bass also with lots of shorts. I also have reached my limit for tog on all 8 trips. Hopefully getting two more in then pulling the boat.

Togilator

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Had a nice trip in Rhode Island this Sunday on board the Bad Influence with Capt.Jeff Viamari.Fish chewed good with the heavy easterly blow coming in late morning.We built the life with green crabs and then broke out the whites.Size of fish started growing and I switched to my jig rod after not doing well soaking big whole crabs.Popped the shell and trimmed the whites with no legs and I found what they were looking for.Put 12.5 and 13.5 lb whitechins in the boat one after another and followed up with a 9.8 lb 25 minutes later.I RELEASED all the 3 of my big tog quickly to fight another day.Caught the tog with white color glow jigs a 1.5 oz magic tail for the 12.5 and 1.5 oz. Backwater bait football jig for the other 2 tog.I used my daiwa proteus SS-64-LSPINNING ROD AND A SHIMANO TWIN POWER 2500 REEL to catch the two bigger chins and a custom Capt.Richie CTS for the 9.8.So much fun catching tog on the ultra light spinning gear.I have the release videos but cant figure out how to upload to my computer properly.We ended the day with a easy Rhode Island limit,releasing many keepers.There were 3 double digits between 11 and 13.5 and several other 9 lb beauties.All fish above 8 lbs or so were released and we kept the smaller roasters for dinner.These are the days that keep us coming back for more.
IMG_4979.jpgIMG_4974.jpgIMG_4980.jpg

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
I fished for tog too Saturday. Two man limit, one stop shopping. Picked up a couple of sea bass also with lots of shorts. I also have reached my limit for tog on all 8 trips. Hopefully getting two more in then pulling the boat.
nice Tony!!! Me and Mojoe still waiting by the phone for "the call"

Reactions: Tigashrk

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julesbefishin