Post your 2019/2020 Fluke Pix & Trip Reports Here!

Mar 4, 2019
Happy Wednesday my Friends! Today Danny from Artisan Builders booked his annual trip aboard the Miss Beryl. He brought his son Walter, Angelo, Marty, Bobby and Bob. Stayed local today the boys caught a boat limit of CBass, a fine mess of ling, and 3 keeper fluke for the day. Plenty of shortie fluke kept them busy. Thank you so much guys for a great day, always s pleasure fishing with you guys.IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0136.JPG

Capt Richie

Angler
Feb 16, 2019
Nice Rick you always put a great catch together..

went today first spot all shorts & so so action...second spot wow!!! one fluke after another double headers three & four hook up at one time..only problem 90% shorts...did manage 6 keepers & a couple of seabass & ling..really not looking for them

well going to hit it again tomorrow..

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Nice Rick you always put a great catch together..

went today first spot all shorts & so so action...second spot wow!!! one fluke after another double headers three & four hook up at one time..only problem 90% shorts...did manage 6 keepers & a couple of seabass & ling..really not looking for them

well going to hit it again tomorrow..
You guys to the west seem to be doing a bit better on the fluke than what i'm seeing and hearing here in shinnecock...
Going back at it tomorrow to try again....

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
KenScot, Capt. Mike and I hit them pretty well outside JI today. Ended with 10 keeps to 5lbs out of 50+ fish caught. Action was all over by the morning's mid-outgoing tide. Slow pick the rest of the day. It was actually quite a savage bite while it was happening. We would have easily limited, if we all hadn't dropped some REALLY nice ones. Eh, that's what the next trip is for. . .

Nice, fat 5lber:

IMG_1486_edited.jpg

Sometimes they just flat-out inhaled the big woims:

IMG_1489_edited.jpg

Capt. Mike and Ken at my dock. Two better fluke jiggers you will not find:

IMG_1491_edited.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Nah, its pretty much normal to drop some fish while jigging. No telling how a fish is hooked, or where, for that matter. Having a 2-6oz piece of lead in its jaw will always give some fish the leverage to throw it; not to mention the no-stretch nature of braided line as well.

This is why I've segued to softer, more shock-absorbing rod blanks. They give a bit more cushion when a decent fish violently shakes its head, trying to free itself. Hey, respect to those that do. Most do not. Not on MY boat, anyways. . . :rolleyes:

Reactions: live bait

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I don't know that rod, but the little Daiwa Harrier HR64MS is also an EXCELLENT fluke jigger, for a VERY reasonable $99. Handles jigs to 4oz, light as a feather, super sensitive, full set of Fuji guides, beautiful bend under pressure, gets great reviews from users all over the interwebs. Matches up perfectly with any spinning reel in the 2000-4000 class. A true best buy.

My new Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL is three times the price - also has its positives. Extra sensitive tip, deep mod bend under heavier pressure, nano-resin blank, full rack of Fuji K guides - super-fun to use, though it tops out at throwing a 2oz jig, which limits it a bit for ocean fishing. Gotta have the right conditions to use it. I like it A LOT, though I'm still not convinced that its 3X better than the Harrier for my needs. Jury is still out. More "research" called for. Used it all day yesterday in 80' - pulling fish to 5lbs with it. My crew is waiting to see an 8lb+ fish on it - they have their doubts. I don't and can hardly wait! Yeee-haaa!

Both of these rods have extra long butt grip sections, which I love for jigging. They tuck nicely under my armpit, which relieves a lot of pressure on my old wrist. A must-have, for my jigging needs.

Capt Richie

Angler
Feb 16, 2019
really dont like K guides for jigging..they feel funny ..

put them on a few rods I didnt like them & has some complaints about them..PinHooker hated them

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
You might be right . . . and yet I still manage to catch a fish, once in a while. Well, sometimes anyways . :p

Besides, not sure I can handle much more success, wouldn't know how to deal with it . . . probably ruin my selfless humility . . . 8-)

• Haha
Reactions: WhatKnot
Mar 4, 2019
Happy Friday my Good Friends!! Today James chartered the Miss Beryl for fluke, CBass and ling. Mission accomplished. The crew, Sunny, Jayden, Kim, Daniel and Gray put 7 NY keeper fluke, a dozen CBass and a few ling on ice. Thank you very much guys for another fun trip. Until next time, keep em tight!IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0141.JPG

Mar 4, 2019
Happy Sunday My Friends!! Hope your 4th was great. Today we put together a trip for Fluke and assorted critters. Crew was Peetee, Paul, Glen, Joe and last but not least Capt. Richie Kessinger. Weatherman blew the forecast as we got out to the grounds it was honking SW pretty good. First fish to hit the ice was a 21# Monkfish slayed by Paul. Then Peetee with a 6.5# fluke and then Glen with a solid 5#. Total for the day was a dozen NY size keeper fluke, 14 NY size keeper CBass, some ling and the slob monk. Thanks for staying at the rail all day guys with the snotty seas we had, it was a fun day for me, hopefully for you too. Richie at 85 yrs young still stays at the rail all day and fishes hard. Until next time. Keep em tight!!
IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0157.JPGIMG_0154.JPGIMG_0161.JPGIMG_0162.JPG

Last edited: