Post your 2019-2021 Fluke Pix & Trip Reports Here!

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
7lbs fulke caught today by Bobby B..I had a 5lb fish & five more keepers for the box..

BSB fishing was good in the afternoon much less small fish & knuckle heads bit later in the day we had a easy limit plus ling & porgy's

Attachments

• Resized_20210624_100352 (2).jpeg
    Resized_20210624_100352 (2).jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Headed out with Brian/Flukerr this morning - right to my fav early-season drop. No problem putting together a limit of plus-sized biscuits, with many, many fat keepers returned - the 3 fish/man limit is absurd, vs what our neighboring States get away with. Anyway, I stuck with GULP! on the ball jighead and did very well on the big blueheads.

Though we pulled a half dozen or so short fluke, this wasn't the fishing we were looking for, so we moved to a different piece of hard bottom, for a ton more quality biscuits, some fat ling - and another 10 or so fluke - with Brian pulling three fat 4 to 5+lb class keepers on consecutive drifts, using the big Pink Worm. I got shut out on the keepers - just the way it went today.

Anyway, good to see an up-tick in the fluking - I'm sure after this coming weekend's blow and the 90-deg plus temps forecast for next week the fishing will really kick into gear.

IMG_2574 (2).jpg

IMG_2579 (1).jpg

. . . and another one bites the dust!” 😎

B7726B89-7970-408F-8F45-CA758FC36750.jpeg

HighHook4Hire

New Angler
Aug 19, 2019
I was out fluking for the first time this season in NJ this Thurs on a PB out of Manasquan. Been waiting for all the PB to stop massacring those knotheads. Hope there are a few left to breed! Weatherman said E wind up to 20kt and it was like a lake until noon. BEAUTIFUL, PEACEFUL day on the water. Casted around on slack first thing picking up a few bsb and robins for my efforts. Switched from copper bucktail (ling around) to white and started getting some short fluke. Had a few fouled in the middle that took some runs and had me pretty excited. Got to test out a new rod and it performed well on the first trip. Even swung my only keeper of the day without any issues (mate was ocupado). Fished next to a nice local fellow and found out it was his bday. The fluke didn't cooperate for him this day, so I gave him mine. Bad news is that I got bit by the bug, and now I gotta get up early tomorrow am to look for a sea monster. Tight lines all!

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
Hit The Old Apple Orchid today for some fluke ..we were rewarded with 17 keeper fluke ..nothing real big maybe 5 /6 lb ,,but all the keepers were nice 3+ lb fish ...

on a bad note Jones Inlet is dangerous ,,its was 2/3 low , not one clear path out...east jetty no go ..channel LOL what channel..green can under water & breakers over the red Nun ..

I draft 4' and had just about that under the boat in the so called channel ..so called channel was 7 to 8' deep...

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
This inlet is gonna kill someone, again this season. Have you seen that derelict bay buoy that's sitting in the channel, almost parallel to the jetty's tip? What will it take for the USCG to get it out of there?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
on a bad note Jones Inlet is dangerous ,,its was 2/3 low , not one clear path out...east jetty no go ..channel LOL what channel..green can under water & breakers over the red Nun ..

I draft 4' and had just about that under the boat in the so called channel ..so called channel was 7 to 8' deep
I've been on Leps boat as he navigated the inlet . . .if you can call it that? It is scary. But this isn't anything new around Long Island. There are many dangerous inlets around the island, and Jones is playing out the same.

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
I've been on Leps boat as he navigated the inlet . . .if you can call it that? It is scary. But this isn't anything new around Long Island. There are many dangerous inlets around the island, and Jones is playing out the same.
George unfortunately ever thing you said is true..You would THINK! that with the taxes we pay & being an ISLAND! where boating and fishing is a good part of the economy ,,they would maintain them..but thats just me thinking..

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
In the spirit of posting reports, good OR bad - the fish did not bite worth a damn yesterday. Capt. Mike, KenScot and I pounded the grounds for the entire day, totaling three keeps to 4lbs, probably 30 shorts and a limit of biscuits. A very, picky bite - super tentative pickups. It really didn't firm up and resemble a real fluke bite 'til we were a half hour from leaving. Of course. Maybe they bit elsewhere, but it didn't sound like they did, from the radio and close friend reports.

I dunno if it was the drop in salinity from the big rains, a turbidity question, temp, or some other reason or combination thereof, but it was real slow. It will improve as the water warms a bit more and the fish get into their Summer feeding thing. Beautiful day on the offshore grounds though - if that counts for anything. (It doesn't in my opinion - unless the fish bite.) ☹️

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
In the spirit of posting reports, good or bad - the fish did not bite worth a damn yesterday. Capt. Mike, KenScot and I pounded the grounds for the entire day, totaling three keeps to 4lbs, probably 30 shorts and a limit of biscuits. A very, picky bite - super tentative pickups. It really didn't firm up and resemble a real fluke bite 'til we were a half hour from leaving. Of course. Maybe they bit elsewhere, but it didn't sound like they did, from the radio and close friend reports.

I dunno if it was the drop in salinity from the big rains, a turbidity question, temp, or some other reason or combination thereof, but it was real slow. It will improve as the water warms a bit more and the fish get into their Summer feeding thing. Beautiful day on the offshore grounds though - if that counts for anything. (It doesn't in my opinion - unless the fish bite.) ☹️
If that crew wasn't catching, they weren't biting. It's just a matter of time.

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
taking the 4th off BBQ & not wanting to deal with the 4th boating madness , we went today..nice ocean maybe to nice

bite was way off today we had tons of shorts & three keepers to 5.5 lbs ..limit of seabass but the really big one seem to be gone ..

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
didn't think today would be a banner day when I saw the wind,,but I said should be ok...Morning was slow super slow..started out with the deep fleet ..Just not how I like to fish..made a move to an area that didnt have any boats ,,within a half hour ten boats around me,,,..so made another move & another ..Well around 11am I had all I can stands because I cant stands no more ....Found my honey hole ..bam keeper bam bam two more ..did this for a couple of hours boxed twelve fluke & half dozen large BSB...left a little early nice day .

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
could not pass up today after looking at the weather report
OMG lake Atlantic ..well with the big boat down fuel line has to come from Germany...I guess Cat's are not 100% American made,

anyway took the 22' out flat calm hit the inshore spots ..lots & lots of life 99% short life ..so headed to the Honey Hole & it did produce ..spent a couple of hours with our limit on large BSB & five fat keeper fluke ,,back at the dock just after 12 noon..great half day of fishing..

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Originally planned to fish some newer "inshore" local reef drops, but once George and I broke the Inlet, the gorgeous ocean told me to head deep. So we did.

High-cruised out to to the grounds, actually an area out there that I haven't fished in two seasons, and man, were the fish ready. Nice ones too. George started us off with a double-header keeper fluke AND keeper biscuit, which I don't recall seeing before. Actually, he did it TWICE today - a record that should stand up for some time on the Lep. Or not, hopefully. :D

What followed was a really good pick of fish, with an excellent keeper to short ratio. By lunch time we were done, with a limit of fat fluke, the three largest being 5.5, 6 and 6.4lbs - my season's best so far, PLUS a full limit of really nice biscuits. Net result were bags of fillet at a true 8lbs for each of us. And I'll say one thing - IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Anyway, really gorgeous conditions - a gentle 2' swell, with a nice 0.5-0.9kt drift - perfect for the spinning gear, which we both used the entire trip. Two ounce jig heads were all we needed today. And the GULP! color of the day? "Salmond Rushdie" orange. Boy did they like that today, other than towards the end of the trip, when Nuclear Chicken was working really well.

Back at it this weekend, weather-permitting.

IMG_2636 (1).jpg

IMG_2636 (2).jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2657 (1).jpg

IMG_2657 (2).jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members