Post your 2019-2021 Fluke Pix & Trip Reports Here!

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
father daughter day today..really thought it was going to be flat calm today ,,But that south swell and the 22' boat kept me from the HH...I hit an area I haven't fished in fifteen years ,,& its still pretty good.. Had four keeper fluke & two nice BSB in a half day of fishing..

Attachments

• IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0436 (2).jpg
    IMG_0436 (2).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 16
Made the first summer trip to Montauk for Fluke yesterday with a 5-man crew of my regular charter customers. Montauk trips are always both exciting and often challenging from one perspective or another. Yesterdays first challenge began with pea soup fog which made my job of steaming some 30 miles to the east a bit less than pleasant. Then when we reached the point the predicted 3-foot swell became 4-5 footers with a few 6’s thrown in close to the normally turbulent point. So, by the time we hit our first drop about 5 miles SW we were already 2 men down.

Too bad for guys with no “sea legs” as it turned out to be an excellent day fishing. Sal nails a nice 4# Fluke within seconds of hitting the bottom on the first drift and Ricky follows suit with a fat 3.5# Fluke just a few minutes later. Sea Bass were everywhere and we worked through the day picking and choosing only the largest biscuits to fill out that limit. Towards the end of the trip Sal, who had the hot hand, landed a beautiful 4# Sea Bas to add to his top Fluke of the day which tipped the scales at 5.5#. Although we did not see any real king-sized Fluke the 3 man “active crew” did put 10 nice Fluke in the box so we wound up only 2 shy of their personal limits. Action on the Fluke was the most consistent I have seen so far this season with fish caught on every drift as long as you could avoid the Sea Bass.

Of course, Montauk usually pleases the eye with some of natures truly special creatures. During the course of this trip, we spotted one whale, a pod of Dolphin working on a school of Mackerel, and a sizeable brown shark swimming lazily off our stern.

71721fluke.jpg71721salsb.jpg

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
another great day on the water,,.started off slow BSB were all over couldn't get to the bottom without them ripping at your gulp and strip bait OMG...With only two fluke in the box by 11ish I wasn't very happy..tide dropped out & the bite was on ..put seven more in the box ..Capt had his limit & the biggest fish of the day of 5.34 lbs..on Ted's scale ..

saw a whale by the JI this morning put on a nice show .and a small Mako

Headed to MTK end of the week.. Got the call bite is on !!!!

Last edited:

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
No pix this trip, but yesterday hit my regular haunts outside hard for 7 keeps to 4.5lbs, a bunch of biscuits plus the usual assorted other bottom critters for the three of us. A TON of shorts today - more than we normally see on three trips. I thought we were fishing in the Bay, the way we were swinging shorts. I think a fresh body of fish has moved "inshore," as many of these fish appear noticeably thinner than what we've been catching. No matter, back at it this weekend.

hartattack

Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Central Joisey
Jersey Fluking has improved recently. Rather than battle the crowds at the reefs and the rocks, today we discovered some new spots off by ourselves. Looks like some new skinny fluke have arrived with empty stomachs. But was fortunate to get this fatty after releasing 100+ shorts for us 3 retirees. We did get our limit but the other keepers were anorexic. Sea Bass still chewing in all depths.

Attachments

• IMG951318.jpg
    IMG951318.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
went to MTK today fished with Capt. Al...we fished off from the fleet & did pretty good... I had six keepers to seven pounds boat had a total of eleven keepers ..I had the big fish of the day...

four of us fished out of westlake its great having friends that have friends ,,we were treated like kings ..saw the offshore windmill truck there too

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Had Capt. Mike and the Chef aboard today for a really good bite at my usual deep environs, doing my best to keep away from the armada. My "strategery" paid off well, with 11 quality keepers to a 28", 8lbs5oz bruiser for Capt. Mike. The fish hit in bunches, with up to an hour between mini-blitzes. Mike was real happy with his biggie. I was real happy for him, plus the fact that despite being over the "evil sh!t" all day, I didn't lose a single rig. That almost never happens. Win - Win!

IMG_2695 (2).jpg

IMG_2695 (1).jpg

IMG_2702 (2).jpg

IMG_2702 (1).jpg

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Had a group of regulars on my charter Saturday and we hit our usual Montauk deep drops (Cartwright, Lovers Ledge, etc) but tide was ripping (thank goodness for a Trolling motor) and sea bass were in super thick. Grinded most of the day til I got a call from a buddy at the Frisbees that he was on them good and that salvaged our trip. 11 keepers to 27 inches with 6 of them coming in last 90 minutes at Frisbees.

Attachments

• 2053478A-7671-4292-8E3B-4373A81849FE.jpeg
    2053478A-7671-4292-8E3B-4373A81849FE.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D91A07C-AE06-4EBA-8808-8891B2352EAE.jpeg
    6D91A07C-AE06-4EBA-8808-8891B2352EAE.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 8
Had a group of regulars on my charter Saturday and we hit our usual Montauk deep drops (Cartwright, Lovers Ledge, etc) but tide was ripping (thank goodness for a Trolling motor) and sea bass were in super thick. Grinded most of the day til I got a call from a buddy at the Frisbees that he was on them good and that salvaged our trip. 11 keepers to 27 inches with 6 of them coming in last 90 minutes at Frisbees.
Hey John, I saw a video you posted recently, it was the one where Skinner was teaching some younglings how to fish, how did you like that boat you were captaining? That was some rig, 3 yammy V8's on the back, were those the new 425hp XTO series? great vid by the way, I give skinner a lot of credit, some kids are just not into fishing.
Hopefully this weekend I will be in R.I. weather permitting going to shoot over to Montauk.
Nice report too.
Jay

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Hey John, I saw a video you posted recently, it was the one where Skinner was teaching some younglings how to fish, how did you like that boat you were captaining? That was some rig, 3 yammy V8's on the back, were those the new 425hp XTO series? great vid by the way, I give skinner a lot of credit, some kids are just not into fishing.
Hopefully this weekend I will be in R.I. weather permitting going to shoot over to Montauk.
Nice report too.
Jay
Jay, was a beautiful family fishing boat and a rocket ship. My one quibble was the cabin was so wide that it was almost impossible to pass someone fishing anywhere along the cabin. The space between the cabin and gunwales was tight. Again, a minor quibble.

Weather looking iffy so far this weekend. Hope that changes and you catch em up!

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Had Capt. Mike and the Chef aboard today for a really good bite at my usual deep environs, doing my best to keep away from the armada. My "strategery" paid off well, with 11 quality keepers to a 28", 8lbs5oz bruiser for Capt. Mike. The fish hit in bunches, with up to an hour between mini-blitzes. Mike was real happy with his biggie. I was real happy for him, plus the fact that despite being over the "evil sh!t" all day, I didn't lose a single rig. That almost never happens. Win - Win!

View attachment 36134

View attachment 36135

View attachment 36136

View attachment 36137
That looks like a great day! It doesn't take much to get Mike to smile, but I've never seen him smile like that! Congrats!

Reactions: MOJOE

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
could not pass up the perfect ocean,,did a quick trip to deep fluke grounds... fishing solo today I had two quick keepers & one more for the day ..I dropped some monster fish ...they are down there go get em...I had rubber hooks today,,Man they were heavy big head shakes pulling drag & gone ,,, reel up cleaned out gulp strip bait gone clean jigs ...

good news parts are in for the big boat..cant wait had enough of the 22ft,,to old for it...it rides beautiful for a 22 but I need heavy 10 tons vs 2.5 tons ,,

Reactions: MOJOE

SovLiving

New Angler
Jul 26, 2021
Couldn't agree more! I've been seeing more reports over the past two weeks about high quality fluke coming over the rails. I'm toying with either going back out of Jones Inlet or going to the Sound. I'll have my two young sons and I think a friend and his sons will come too, so it may be a bit of a trek to venture out into the open ocean for a leisurely family trip. Any thoughts?

You'll catch that REALLY big girl next time!

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Had Capt. Mike aboard today on the JI deep grounds. We saw a TON of 18-18.75” shorties with Four keeps for the box. Also a limit of big biscuits. Zero drift all morning had us using the spinning gear to get a little “motion in our ocean.” I also dropped two real quality fish late today, when the breeze FINALLY materialized - just part of the jigging game. Had a good friend take a 2-man limit on a local “inshore” reef - so the bite there was much better than we saw, for keepers, at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000