Post your 2019-2022 Fluke Pix & Trip Reports Here!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Well, today is a big day for Team Leprechaun - I FINALLY fixed my boat. After a month of false leads and multiple electrical component replacements, today out of frustration I broke down and bought a new Pertronix distributor. Spent the morning installing, wiring, and adjusting it - and that did the trick - she now runs like a new boat! Let's go fishing!

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
lep catch them up now 8-) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><)))):>
><)))):>

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
First Trip of the Season

With my electrical/ignition issues now resolved (whew!) Capt. Mike, Ken the Chef and I headed straight out to my offshore office, a.k.a. "the deep grounds." A gorgeous day on the ocean, great drift for most of the trip - but we just couldn't find a consistent bite. Probably 15 or so shorts and three keepers to 4lbs, plus a few other edible bottom critters. That was it. Maybe the prior few day's worth of ground swell had something to do with it, but it was what it was.

Pic is of my first 2022 keeper - about 4lbs. Not the biggest of bottom denizens, but for me it represents a major triumph, as I really was beginning to think this season was turning into no-go situation. Better trip results to come, I'm sure.

One point worth noting - I ran the JI East Jetty on dead low in the morning, and found approx. 7' of water in that "channel."

IMG_3739_edited.jpg

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
I took advantage of Friday’s great weather to do a little prospecting on the east side of Gardiner’s Island in preparation for some upcoming charters later this month. First scoped out the Porgy grounds and, as usual, no shortage of small to medium sized Scup. Next began hitting my favored Fluke/Sea Bass drifts and found fairly slow action to the southern parts of the grounds with only a few short Fluke and Sea Bass landed. Moved further north on my way to the Race for Slack tide and I did find a small pocket of Fluke where in less than an hour I decked 6 Fluke with a pair of keepers to 5#. On to the Race and picked up my limit of Sea Bass to 3.5# in about an hour. Then on the flood tide quickly nailed 2 short Stripers just to convince myself you can still catch some Bass in the daytime heat of summer!

7822fluke5net.jpg7822fluke5deck.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Headed out solo early this morning (No crew - mental health trip for me) to some open bottom drops that I wanted to give a shot. They haven't produced in a couple of seasons, so maybe it was time? Yeah, no. A few shorts and a bunch of sea robins and that was that. It was a bit sporty out, a 3' swell with a SE breeze driving a wind chop on top. Messy and rocky. I really wanted to stay close, as fuel ain't exactly cheap these days.

But it was not to be. After an hour of really trying I gave in and headed to my usual haunts, a.k.a.: "The Deep Drops."

Went right to one of my favorite drift lines, ran up wind and dropped in, bingo, didn't jig more than three times and a fat 19" fish came aboard for the cooler. It was a bit of a pick after that - a bunch of shorts, some plus-sized biscuits and a couple of fat ling. Had to put the drift sock in the water and that did the trick - much better bite with the sock knocking the drift back to .9 - 1.5mph. Put a pair of identical 22" fish in the box on consecutive drifts which pulled much harder than they should have - too much current and drift speed made them feel pretty husky.

As an aside - I've been playing around with the sinkered B/S Rig over the past couple of seasons and have found that lengthening the dropper to around 12" really makes a difference on those days you need a 6oz or more sinker to stay in the game. Actually, what I do is to make a 6" dropper loop and then cut one side of it to make a single "leader," and then reverse snell my hook onto that. It really does work - try it and see if it works for you.

Meantime the breeze backed down nicely around 10:30 or so, and it turned into a beautiful late morning/early afternoon on the offshore grounds. After the turn the bite improved and I put a fat 24" fish in the box to complete my limit. Stayed 'til 1p.m. and put a three more 19-20" keepers in the net - which I did return to fight another day - big believer in good karma.

And speaking of karma, I cannot tell you how happy I am that I've FINALLY resolved the boat's electrical problem once and for all. After two seasons of intermittent B/S, its now runs good as gold. Whew, one of the toughest diagnostic issues I've ever had the displeasure of working on. All good now!

Nice 24" fishy
IMG_3751.jpg

The mandatory "Solo Trip Crossed Swords":
IMG_3754.jpg

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
Headed out solo early this morning (No crew - mental health trip for me) to some open bottom drops that I wanted to give a shot. They haven't produced in a couple of seasons, so maybe it was time? Yeah, no. A few shorts and a bunch of sea robins and that was that. It was a bit sporty out, a 3' swell with a SE breeze driving a wind chop on top. Messy and rocky. I really wanted to stay close, as fuel ain't exactly cheap these days.

But it was not to be. After an hour of really trying I gave in and headed to my usual haunts, a.k.a.: "The Deep Drops."

Went right to one of my favorite drift lines, ran up wind and dropped in, bingo, didn't jig more than three times and a fat 19" fish came aboard for the cooler. It was a bit of a pick after that - a bunch of shorts, some plus-sized biscuits and a couple of fat ling. Had to put the drift sock in the water and that did the trick - much better bite with the sock knocking back the drift to .9 - 1.5mph. Put a pair of identical 22" fish in the box on consecutive drifts which pulled much harder than they should have - too much current and drift speed made them feel pretty husky.

As an aside - I've been playing around with the sinkered B/S Rig, and over the past couple of seasons and have found that lengthening the dropper to around 12" really makes a difference on those days you need a 6 or more sinker to stay in the game. Actually, what I do is to make a 6" dropper loop and then cut one side of it to make a single "leader," and then reverse snell my hook onto that. It really does work - try it and see if it works for you.

Meantime the breeze backed down nicely around 10:30 or so, and it actually turned out to be a beautiful late morning on the offshore grounds. After the turn the bite improved and I put a fat 24" fish in the box to complete my limit. Stayed 'til 1p.m. and put a three more 19-20" keepers in the net - which I did return to fight another day - big believer in good karma.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that I've FINALLY resolved the boat's electrical problem once and for all. After two seasons of intermittent B/S, its now runs good as gold. Whew, one of the toughest diagnostic issues I've ever had the displeasure of working on. All good now!

Nice 24" fishy
View attachment 51004

View attachment 51005
way to go lep 8-) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,><))))):>
><)))):>

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip

Went right to one of my favorite drift lines, ran up wind and dropped in, bingo, didn't jig more than three times and a fat 19" fish came aboard for the cooler. It was a bit of a pick after that - a bunch of shorts, some plus-sized biscuits and a couple of fat ling. Had to put the drift sock in the water and that did the trick - much better bite with the sock knocking back the drift to .9 - 1.5mph. Put a pair of identical 22" fish in the box on consecutive drifts which pulled much harder than they should have - too much current and drift speed made them feel pretty husky.

As an aside - I've been playing around with the sinkered B/S Rig, and over the past couple of seasons and have found that lengthening the dropper to around 12" really makes a difference on those days you need a 6oz or more sinker to stay in the game. Actually, what I do is to make a 6" dropper loop and then cut one side of it to make a single "leader," and then reverse snell my hook onto that. It really does work - try it and see if it works for you.

Meantime the breeze backed down nicely around 10:30 or so, and it actually turned out to be a beautiful late morning/early afternoon on the offshore grounds. After the turn the bite improved and I put a fat 24" fish in the box to complete my limit. Stayed 'til 1p.m. and put a three more 19-20" keepers in the net - which I did return to fight another day - big believer in good karma.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that I've FINALLY resolved the boat's electrical problem once and for all. After two seasons of intermittent B/S, its now runs good as gold. Whew, one of the toughest diagnostic issues I've ever had the displeasure of working on. All good now!

Nice 24" fishy
View attachment 51004

View attachment 51005
Some real nice fish there!!

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Killer Day on the Offshore Drops today. Full boat limit of mixed-size flatties to my pair of twin 6lb fish. Had my "West End" crew aboard, Frankie and Darryll of the Teresa V, who worked hard to help put together a truly quality catch. Forgot to shoot my customary deck dump or cooler snaps, but here's my two big ones from today's excursion.

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

Crabman

New Angler
Jan 2, 2021
Hello all. First off, Lep, thanks for the recommendation to go with the 6.3 on my new Tranx 150A. I paired it with a Grappler Type LJ with medium action. Probably caught a dozen or more fish to 4lbs and still waiting for a fatty. FI Reef has been decent when fishing around the structure. If you're not getting snagged, you are probably not catching fluke. When in open bottom you're catching sea robins.

Question, can someone recommend the size of a drift sock for a 30' Contender?

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
30’ Contender, you say? Nice boat!

I use a 48” black Cabelas “Deluxe” sock on my 26’ keeled inboard. You probably need something in the 55-60” range, as your boat is larger and also lacks a drift-slowing keel. Don’t forget to add 20-25’ of 1/2” line with a big snap to couple up to the sock’s short lead, so that you can get the sock out a bit where it can get a “good bite” of the water.

I use a pre-made 25’ dock line for that - the loop end gets attached to a mid-ship cleat and the snap on the other end couples up to the the Cabelas sock lead that had the orange float. Some days properly using this contraption means the difference between a solid catch and giving up/sailing home with the crew quietly staring at the deck in disappointment. Don’t let that happen to you! 🙄

Reactions: longcast and george

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
Killer Day on the Offshore Drops today. Full boat limit of mixed-size flatties to my pair of twin 6lb fish. Had my "West End" crew aboard, Frankie and Darryll of the Teresa V, who worked hard to help put together a truly quality catch. Forgot to shoot my customary deck dump or cooler snaps, but here's my two big ones from today's excursion.

View attachment 51251

View attachment 51252
"Mr. Automatic Fluke Slayer" has hit his stride!
Well done Lep.

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
Saturday, I had my “A” Team crew of John, Ricky, Sal, and Frank join me for our first Montauk Fluke charter of the season. I had been receiving reports of improved action although it has been somewhat streaky. We hit one of my favorite South side drops to start and never had to move very far for the entire day. The action was amazingly consistent with Fluke and Sea Bass being landed in multiple numbers on every single drift. Although the keeper ratio was a bit low on the fluke side, the quality of the fish made up for it. The foursome decked nearly 50 Fluke with 8 keepers and the top 2 fish going 5.5 and 8.2#. Virtually all the keepers were over 20” in size. The guys also topped off the box with a full boat limit of Sea Bass including a few real nice biscuits in the 3.5# range. Needless to say, they all went home with beautiful fat bags of filet.

I now have 3 crew members for my spilt Montauk Fluke charter scheduled for Tuesday 8/2 and one more spot remains. Here is your chance at one the to best spots on LI to cash in on some really quality Fluke action. All you have to do is give me a call to sign on!

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423

71622ricky5.5fluke).jpg716228.2fluke.jpg71622groupfluke.jpg71622salsb.jpg

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
"As an aside - I've been playing around with the sinkered B/S Rig over the past couple of seasons and have found that lengthening the dropper to around 12" really makes a difference on those days you need a 6oz or more sinker to stay in the game. Actually, what I do is to make a 6" dropper loop and then cut one side of it to make a single "leader," and then reverse snell my hook onto that. It really does work - try it and see if it works for you."

The past week or so I have been asked how I "Reverse Snell" a hook onto my modified long-leadered B/S Rig. this is how its done:

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Was looking for an easy day today, after nearly two weeks of COVID crap. Yeah, well, it was not to be, as the fish made me work very hard at captaining today. Had Ken the Chef and special guest jigger Kevin/Longcast from right here on NYAngler aboard for a Deep Jigging trip. Gorgeous ocean all day, but just couldn't get the fish started on the incoming - I think we had two keepers by Noon. Totally unacceptable.

Many, many fish in the 17-18.25" range but keepers - not so much. Frustrating as hell. So I resolved to keep us out later than usual - and we were rewarded, as the better fish bit well in the 2:00-3:15 time range - after most boats gave up and sailed inshore. Me? I just don't think that way. Anyway, we ended up with 11 keepers to 5lbs plus some assorted edible bottom critters, with Kevin acquitting himself very well for his first trip to the deep.

By the time we hit the dock I was pretty well winded. I guess I'm not fully recovered from the China Flu just yet - though my sense of taste is slowly returning. Smell, not so much. Such is the way it was today.

IMG_3811.jpg

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Was looking for an easy day today, after nearly two weeks of COVID crap. Yeah, well, it was not to be, the fish made me work very hard at captaining today. Had Ken the Chef and special guest jigger Kevin/Longcast from right here on NYAngler aboard for a Deep Jigging trip. Gorgeous ocean all day, but just couldn't get the fish started on the incoming - I think we had two keepers by Noon. Totally unacceptable.

Many, many fish in the 17-18.25" range but keepers - not so much. Frustrating as hell. So I resolved to keep us out later than usual - and we were rewarded, as the better fish bit well in the 2:00-3:15 time range - after most boats gave up and sailed inshore. Me? I just don't think that way. Anyway, we ended up with 11 keepers to 5lbs, with Kevin acquitting himself very well for his first trip to the deep.

By the time we hit the dock I was pretty well winded. I guess I'm not fully recovered from the China Flu just yet - though my sense of taste is slowly returning. Smell, not so much. Such is the way it was today.

View attachment 51997
Nice job!! Persistence paid off!

Reactions: MOJOE