Post your 2019-2022 Fluke Pix & Trip Reports Here!

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Was looking for an easy day today, after nearly two weeks of COVID crap. Yeah, well, it was not to be, the fish made me work very hard at captaining today. Had Ken the Chef and special guest jigger Kevin/Longcast from right here on NYAngler aboard for a Deep Jigging trip. Gorgeous ocean all day, but just couldn't get the fish started on the incoming - I think we had two keepers by Noon. Totally unacceptable.

Many, many fish in the 17-18.25" range but keepers - not so much. Frustrating as hell. So I resolved to keep us out later than usual - and we were rewarded, as the better fish bit well in the 2:00-3:15 time range - after most boats gave up and sailed inshore. Me? I just don't think that way. Anyway, we ended up with 11 keepers to 5lbs, with Kevin acquitting himself very well for his first trip to the deep.

By the time we hit the dock I was pretty well winded. I guess I'm not fully recovered from the China Flu just yet - though my sense of taste is slowly returning. Smell, not so much. Such is the way it was today.

View attachment 51997
Pete - thanks for the invite. It was a great trip.

Crabman

Angler
Jan 2, 2021
30’ Contender, you say? Nice boat!

I use a 48” black Cabelas “Deluxe” sock on my 26’ keeled inboard. You probably need something in the 55-60” range, as your boat is larger and also lacks a drift-slowing keel. Don’t forget to add 20-25’ of 1/2” line with a big snap to couple up to the sock’s short lead, so that you can get the sock out a bit where it can get a “good bite” of the water.

I use a pre-made 25’ dock line for that - the loop end gets attached to a mid-ship cleat and the snap on the other end couples up to the the Cabelas sock lead that had the orange float. Some days properly using this contraption means the difference between a solid catch and giving up/sailing home with the crew quietly staring at the deck in disappointment. Don’t let that happen to you! 🙄
Thanks Lep. Going to give the 60" a try.

Reactions: Leprechaun

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Some brisk winds curtailed my last 2 planned Montauk charters but we finally caught a break this past Saturday. The 4-man crew was aboard to celebrate Chip’s 50th birthday and things went quite well. First, we had beautiful conditions on the south side of Montauk and next the Fluke were present in large numbers and quite hungry. Spent the entire day on a productive drift at Frisbees and the group did their jobs well, limiting the boat with nice Fluke to 5.5# The Sea Bass bite was a little off but they still managed to box 4 nice biscuits.

73022fluke.jpg

Crabman

Angler
Jan 2, 2021
Finally, put our first of the season DD on the boat yesterday. My friend actually hooked the fish and fought it to the boat. Unfortunately, as happens with fluke, the hook pulled right next to the boat with the fish 6" below the surface. I took a dive with the net and while half out of the boat, scooped the fish giving me a major assist. Mike grabbed my belt to pull me back into the boat while I had both hands on the net. What a comedy. That's why we love fishing. So purists, do you toss a 10.44 back because it spits the hook before it was netted? We briefly joked about it as I tossed the fish into the livewell.

B6B23353-797B-4CB2-B6DA-0AB9ED321535_1_201_a.jpeg

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Synopsis - Full boat limit to 5+lbs today, finished by 12:45.

Headed out with Capt. Mike and Chef Ken through a bumpy ocean, right to my favorite 2022 deep drift. Once we got there, it was actually quite comfortable, as the breeze was slowly backing off, and continued to do so thru slack water.

Right off the bat Mike banged what would turn out to be the best fish of the day, a fat 5.5lb fish. Ken quickly added a pair of 4.5/5lbers. Me? I was clearing out the 18-inchers for my crew - which we all know is the proper roll of a quality captain. :rolleyes:

And so it went thru the morning and into the change - a keeper every drift or so, with many, many "almosts" thrown back to grow up and be taken by us, next season.

As the incoming got rolling, it was becoming quite breezy once again, and so we had to segue up to 5oz jigs to stay in the game. All done by lunch time, and that was a good thing, as the ocean was starting to build a nasty roll, with cream on top.

Anyway, Ken was pistol-hot, banging plenty of no-measure keepers, with Mike and I boxing the remainder of the limit. The fish was far more aggressive today than last Sunday, with some really serious hits during the early morning's outgoing. A bit pickier on the incoming, but there were still fish to be had, you just had to give 'em "the old 3-one thousand" before swinging.

A pic of Mike's nice one and a pair Ken's better fish, plus the mandatory Leprechaun cooler shot, of course!

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3824 (2).jpg

IMG_3824 (1).jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Synopsis - Full boat limit to 5+lbs today, finished by 12:45.

Headed out with Capt. Mike and Chef Ken through a bumpy ocean, right to my favorite 2022 deep drift. Once we got there, it was actually quite comfortable, as the breeze was slowly backing off, and continued to do so thru slack water.

Right off the bat Mike banged what would turn out to be the best fish of the day, a fat 5.5lb fish. Ken quickly added a pair of 4.5/5lbers. Me? I was clearing out the 18-inchers for my crew - which we all know is the proper roll of a quality captain. :rolleyes:

And so it went thru the morning and into the change - a keeper every drift or so, with many, many "almosts" thrown back to grow up and be taken by us, next season.

As the incoming got rolling, it was becoming quite breezy once again, and so we had to segue up to 5oz jigs to stay in the game. All done by lunch time, and that was a good thing, as the ocean was starting to build a nasty roll, with cream on top.

Anyway, Ken was pistol-hot, banging plenty of no-measure keepers, with Mike and I boxing the remainder of the limit. The fish was far more aggressive today than last Sunday, with some really serious hits during the early morning's outgoing. A bit pickier on the outgoing, but there were still fish to be had, you just had to give 'em "the old 3-one thousand" before swinging.

A pic of Mike's nice one and a pair Ken's better fish, plus the mandatory Leprechaun cooler shot, of course!

View attachment 52187

View attachment 52188

View attachment 52189

View attachment 52190
Beautiful cooler of fish! Glad you found the bite!!

Reactions: george

Crabman

Angler
Jan 2, 2021
Nice Lep, awesome day with the buds. That's the kind of day we hope for when we leave the dock. What a beautiful cooler of fish. You guys had a fluking great day on the water.

Reactions: george

hartattack

Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Central Joisey
Nantucket report, 8/10... good quality but quantity was lacking. Pool fish went 7.6 lbs and most Fluke were 23 or so inches, no shorts on boat. Several seabass up to my 23"er. Tomorrow's cod/Haddock trip is now Fluke day #2 because the Haddock have not shown up yet on Georges Bank. Check out this left-eye fluke caught today, quite rare...

Attachments

• 20220810_152418.jpg
    20220810_152418.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Nantucket report, 8/10... good quality but quantity was lacking. Pool fish went 7.6 lbs and most Fluke were 23 or so inches, no shorts on boat. Several seabass up to my 23"er. Tomorrow's cod/Haddock trip is now Fluke day #2 because the Haddock have not shown up yet on Georges Bank. Check out this left-eye fluke caught today, quite rare...
Nice report! Go find the double digit!

Was your rig you posted an advantage?