Roccus stars in "Waiting for Godot", doing C&R Cod Fishing

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Well, make that "Waiting for Stripers"... Boat in the water and I'm bored silly so I've been hitting my more distant inshore cod humps for giggles. Had over 2 dozen today on jigs, but none would have met the 21" fish we are allowed to keep for the 1st 2 weeks of April and the last 2 weeks of September.

Regardless, great to be out on the water again and feel a rod bending again!!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Nice to see the action is there even if you can't keep them. Man, the thought of some fresh "Scrod" on the end of my line would have been a huge temptation. Congrats on exercising the proper restraint!!
Thanks for the complement, but to be truthful, it's not too hard when the bulk of the fish I've been catching are around 10-14". At that age, we're talking swimming heads. It's really until the fish reach 21" is there enough meat on the flesh to warrant breaking out the filleting knives...

I'm pretty good at C&R, caught over 700 stripers last year and was only able to keep 3...

Thanks for the complement, but to be truthful, it's not too hard when the bulk of the fish I've been catching are around 10-14". At that age, we're talking swimming heads. It's really until the fish reach 21" is there enough meat on the flesh to warrant breaking out the filleting knives...

I'm pretty good at C&R, caught over 700 stripers last year and was only able to keep 3...
While I think we all enjoy a fresh fish dinner whenever possible, I believe the true fisherman is satisfied with whatever bends the rod.

Less than 2 years ago I lost one of my closest, lifelong fishing buddies. to cancer. Much like yourself, Roccus, he loved Stiped Bass fishing but his huge family and job commitments meant he could only fish for a few hours at a time several days a week. With such a tight schedule his favorite technique was clam chumming next the south shore bridges during key stages of the tide. He too would catch hundreds of Bass every year but only a handful of keepers. He would often swell my ego beyond reasonable levels when he would join me on the North Fork, claiming that when he fished on my boat that was "real fishing". Quite frankly he had the Clam chumming technique far more dialed in than I ever did. And to reinforce my earlier point he would get almost as excited catching big Sea Robins as he would landing a keeper Fluke!

It's all a matter of perspective, my friends.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
How does the fishing in Maine compare to Long Island ?Thanks.
We're limited in what we catch, LI has far more variability.

Here's the Reader's Digest version

Groundfish - Maine probably better than LI in that the water's deeper and colder than LI. You can be in 100' of water a mile or two up into a tidal river!! We're talking cod, pollock, haddock, hake, cusk, monkfish, Acadian redfish, and the odd halibut.

Inshore Fishing - Striped Bass, Mackerel and Harbor (small) Pollock, and that's about it, although there are the occasional bluefish or sea bass caught by accident. Cunners (bergals) prized here in that they get big and they taste like blackfish so I keep 'em. Nothing else, really caught here except like LI, the odd and rare winter flounder.

Not far out, but "Offshore" - Bluefin Tuna and sharks, mostly porbeagles and blue sharks with the occasional mako and thresher. Due to the deep water, these can be caught within 1/2 mile from shore.

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
We're limited in what we catch, LI has far more variability.

Here's the Reader's Digest version

Groundfish - Maine probably better than LI in that the water's deeper and colder than LI. You can be in 100' of water a mile or two up into a tidal river!! We're talking cod, pollock, haddock, hake, cusk, monkfish, Acadian redfish, and the odd halibut.

Inshore Fishing - Striped Bass, Mackerel and Harbor (small) Pollock, and that's about it, although there are the occasional bluefish or sea bass caught by accident. Cunners (bergals) prized here in that they get big and they taste like blackfish so I keep 'em. Nothing else, really caught here except like LI, the odd and rare winter flounder.

Not far out, but "Offshore" - Bluefin Tuna and sharks, mostly porbeagles and blue sharks with the occasional mako and thresher. Due to the deep water, these can be caught within 1/2 mile from shore.
Very interesting.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James