"Scratchy "Reel Noise: Pinion Bearing Replacement or Relube???

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Learned Colleagues:

I fish my reels "hard and put them up wet", never getting much TLC at all. I did catch hundreds of bass last year on my Go To Clash 4000 and it started making this noise the other day:

I popped the cover and slapped in some more Penn lube grease around inside, but no joy on noise abatement. There was plenty of grease in the reel when I opened it. The noise is more apparent when there's direct load on the reel, e.g. quickly reeling in a mass of seaweed, but no noise when there's no load.

It's been suggested that it's a pinion bearing problem, which fits with my observation above, and the fact that I can't get any lubrication directly on these bearings by just popping the cover. Therefore I'd like the collective knowledge here to respond to these questions before I take the reel totally apart, something I only want to do once...

1. Is it the pinion bearings, if not what is it?

2. If it is those bearings, should I:
    1. Clean and relubricate them?
      1. Use Penn grease or Penn Oil, if not what else?
    2. Because of my heavy usage, should I just replace the bearings?
  3. While I have the reel apart, anything else I should be looking for or should just replace as a matter of course yearly???
Thanks,
R7

flounderbound

New Angler
Feb 17, 2019
All the bearings on the Clash 4000 are sealed.Check the 2 pinion bearings and the main gear`s 2 bearings for dirt or sand/salt. After cleaning them if there is still noise they should be replaced

flounderbound

New Angler
Feb 17, 2019
Before checking the bearings remove the spool and see if the noise is present.then proceed ,The reel doesn`t look like it`s spinning freely. WD 40 to clean,followed by penn lube and oil on the bearings.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Before checking the bearings remove the spool and see if the noise is present.then proceed ,The reel doesn`t look like it`s spinning freely. WD 40 to clean,followed by penn lube and oil on the bearings.
Thanks, that wasn't my reel, something I found on YouTube that had the "correct" noise. Right now the noise has abated, but I ordered the bearings anyway so when I finally break down and take it apart, it will be "once and done".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II