Sea Bass

Area: Eastern Sound

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Got down to the launch ramp early this AM, & first took a look at conditions in the sound, & saw more white than I liked. I don't think the N/W was as strong as predicted, but with it blowing against the tide, & the water looked "nautical". For some reason while still deciding what to do I launched the boat, & headed out through the inlet, not a comfortable ride. Conditions didn't seem to bother the sea bass, & fish that have been a by catch for the last few weeks were eager to jump on a baited hook, or jig. Ended up with a three fish limit 18 to 20 inches & called it a morning as the wind & tide flopped out.
John

Well done, John.
Surprisingly a buddy and I really struggled with the Sea Bass today on spots that gave me limit catches all last season. Only managed 2 for the box. The full moon tide was screaming making our drifts ridiculously fast, even close to slack water.

However, we more than made up for it fishing the Gut on the Ebb. After a slow start, the fish really turned on and we boated 10 Bass and a dozen Blues in about 90 minutes time. One or two fish on every drift. Best of all 5 Bass were in the slot size, ORL. Really nice quality today.
Mike
mbbass62321.jpg

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Got down to the launch ramp early this AM, & first took a look at conditions in the sound, & saw more white than I liked. I don't think the N/W was as strong as predicted, but with it blowing against the tide, & the water looked "nautical". For some reason while still deciding what to do I launched the boat, & headed out through the inlet, not a comfortable ride. Conditions didn't seem to bother the sea bass, & fish that have been a by catch for the last few weeks were eager to jump on a baited hook, or jig. Ended up with a three fish limit 18 to 20 inches & called it a morning as the wind & tide flopped out.
John
Good Job John!!
I passed on the early morning trip yesterday and busted the inlet around 1-1:30 just before the tide changed to rising
The decision to wait paid off and I had an easy limit of 3 fish in the same 18-20" range as you.
Me and the boy just got up and the conditions this morning look way better than yesterday so we are getting ready to head out soon...

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Well done, John.
Surprisingly a buddy and I really struggled with the Sea Bass today on spots that gave me limit catches all last season. Only managed 2 for the box. The full moon tide was screaming making our drifts ridiculously fast, even close to slack water.

However, we more than made up for it fishing the Gut on the Ebb. After a slow start, the fish really turned on and we boated 10 Bass and a dozen Blues in about 90 minutes time. One or two fish on every drift. Best of all 5 Bass were in the slot size, ORL. Really nice quality today.
Mike
View attachment 34990
Great picture Capt Mike!
Somehow I really don't think those sea bass are slick enuf to evade you for very much longer8-)

Reactions: MOJOE
Thanks, John. If you go tomorrow morning I will be there with my charter group and look for you.
I spoke to a few of the other NoFo charter Captains I know and they too had a difficult time with the Sea Bass yesterday. Although strong Moon Tides can affect all of LI it seems the east end around Orient is always subjected to the toughest conditions. I have no doubt as the tide backs off our Sea Bass bite will improve dramatically.

My group does want Sea Bass in addition to Stripers tomorrow so, based upon your successful trip yesterday, I will probably be heading west following the Stiped Bass portion of our trip.
Good luck tomorrow if you get out.
Mike

Reactions: Chinacat

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823