Sika deer

Flukinit

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
Was heading out to the outets in Riverheah a few weeks ago. Took different route to LIE was gettong on from William Floyd when i see these 4 right off the ramp. A little research mostly from Togilator find they had them over at Southhaven park for an old hunt club thst used to be there.
Appears this group broke off and settled by that onramp area and behide the 7th pct and the big beverage warehouse. Anyone ever see them?

Attachments

Reactions: eyeglassjoe

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Hi flukinit those sika deer are from Southhaven park the exit ramp area is on park boundry ,Southhaven park is overran by them they have to outnumber whitetails in there by at least 20 to1 .If you spend any amount of time up river flyfishing you will have many close encounters with them they aint too spooked of people.Rumer has it that the Hard family who owned most of the property surrounding the Carmens river at the turn of the last century when whitetail deer in new york including lond island were just about extinct they imported 100 head of them for there hunting club..They seem to have taken hold and hung on for well over 100 years now..They thrive in the swampy bottom land surrounding the carmens river

Reactions: CELLFISH

Flukinit

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
1st time i ever saw them. I have been at Southaven Park a few times by the lake when you walk in never saw them before. I do not hunt but are you allowed to shoot one if you are hunting?

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
We (hunters) are supposed to kill any we see. Fairly certain they have to be tagged but that DEC will give you a new tag in exchange. Reasoning is the threat of CWD although I doubt the ones on LI would have it like those that might in western NY. Probably works like on a nuisance permit. You get one tag but if you shoot two they can get you another tag.
BTW, it looks like the ones I have seen along Sunrise HIghway around 61 are smaller than those you photoed. Send them east !

Flukinit

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
We (hunters) are supposed to kill any we see. Fairly certain they have to be tagged but that DEC will give you a new tag in exchange. Reasoning is the threat of CWD although I doubt the ones on LI would have it like those that might in western NY. Probably works like on a nuisance permit. You get one tag but if you shoot two they can get you another tag.
BTW, it looks like the ones I have seen along Sunrise HIghway around 61 are smaller than those you photoed. Send them east !
These are on the entrance ramo for the LIE east from William Floyd coming from the North.

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
So i have heard . My uncle lives in Delaware andhas taken quite a few of those Maryland sika deer.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I spent a bunch of time in southaven park when i was younger
Prolly saw them but was too young and stupid to notice the difference
I'll pay more attention.
I would think if they were outside the confines of the park where you saw them they must be in other places too.

218 nontypical

New Angler
Mar 2, 2019
I spent a bunch of time in southaven park when i was younger
Prolly saw them but was too young and stupid to notice the difference
I'll pay more attention.
I would think if they were outside the confines of the park where you saw them they must be in other places too.
They prefer to stay around large wetlands.Friend had 1 in his backyard near 25 & Wading River rd 10 years ago

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoppkorv