sleeper tog rod (hopefully)

tautog18

New Angler
Nov 1, 2020
so i am always on the quest for finding that perfect tog jig rod for the jetty structures that I fish....short, fast and can pressure fish. Lep has pointed me in a great direction with the shimano grappler rods which I hope to check out in person over the winter and pick one up for myself.
I take out alot of freinds and family that don’t have the gear for black fishing, so I usually set up 4-6 combos on the boat for guests and myself. In doing that I do take price into consideration and wouldn’t have 4-6 grappler’s, those combos would probably be worth more than my boat! Plus it is fun to find those sleeper rods for cheap that make you feel like you got a great deal.
I came upon the ugly stik elite in mh 6’ (spinning)and picked one up for 49$. I have a 7’ medium that has pulled in some nice blackfish from the kayak, and I have to say this 6’ mh has the right tip, feels sensitive and light enough, and has some nice pulling power. I tried it last weekend in snotty weather on some shorts, but did not get to test it out on bigger fish, but I believe it can handle the task. Hopefully will get out to test this weekend or the next before the season closes here in ct and report back.

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
so i am always on the quest for finding that perfect tog jig rod for the jetty structures that I fish....short, fast and can pressure fish. Lep has pointed me in a great direction with the shimano grappler rods which I hope to check out in person over the winter and pick one up for myself.
I take out alot of freinds and family that don’t have the gear for black fishing, so I usually set up 4-6 combos on the boat for guests and myself. In doing that I do take price into consideration and wouldn’t have 4-6 grappler’s, those combos would probably be worth more than my boat! Plus it is fun to find those sleeper rods for cheap that make you feel like you got a great deal.
I came upon the ugly stik elite in mh 6’ (spinning)and picked one up for 49$. I have a 7’ medium that has pulled in some nice blackfish from the kayak, and I have to say this 6’ mh has the right tip, feels sensitive and light enough, and has some nice pulling power. I tried it last weekend in snotty weather on some shorts, but did not get to test it out on bigger fish, but I believe it can handle the task. Hopefully will get out to test this weekend or the next before the season closes here in ct and report back.
Going out tomorrow in Ct. ,water temp is down to 52. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

tautog18

New Angler
Nov 1, 2020
tried out the ugly stik for the last trip of the season....and it performed pretty well. ended up on a very sticky spot with deep holes and landed a bunch of tog, up to 6 lbs with ease!

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julesbefishin