some needed additions on the yak fleet

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Last season for the first time, SWMBO and I tried fluke fishing off the Perception Tribe 13.5 tandem, but it was way too choppy and windy by the time we got out. Being a 2014 model, the Tribe had no hatches or rodholders so today I put a nice 8" Andasson hatch on it just behind the forward seat and just ordered a pair of flush mount rod holders for it although unfortunately they might not fit very well if at all because of the Tribe's layout. For the hatch I used a drill hole for my jig saw blade after tracing the gasket on the only flat space and it looks like factory issue, even if I do say so myself. I know I could buy those track type rodholders and they would fit but my main "ride" is my Hurricane Skimmer 128 which is rigged as I like it already and we probably won't fish more than a few times off the Tribe anyway, plus I like the smooth streamlined look and those boats with the pedals, rudders, rod holder track mounts, etc. are simply not for me. For Christmas, Santa brought me a Suspenz kayak cart which in XL size can carry either yak. Easily slips right over and under the stern. (Skimmer so light that even at my age I really don't need a cart for it at all but the Tribe is another story.) Tribe already had well placed pad eyes for the Suspenz but I did have to add a pad eye with rivets just behind the seat of the Skimmer today.

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Last season for the first time, SWMBO and I tried fluke fishing off the Perception Tribe 13.5 tandem, but it was way too choppy and windy by the time we got out. Being a 2014 model, the Tribe had no hatches or rodholders so today I put a nice 8" Andasson hatch on it just behind the forward seat and just ordered a pair of flush mount rod holders for it although unfortunately they might not fit very well if at all because of the Tribe's layout. For the hatch I used a drill hole for my jig saw blade after tracing the gasket on the only flat space and it looks like factory issue, even if I do say so myself. I know I could buy those track type rodholders and they would fit but my main "ride" is my Hurricane Skimmer 128 which is rigged as I like it already and we probably won't fish more than a few times off the Tribe anyway, plus I like the smooth streamlined look and those boats with the pedals, rudders, rod holder track mounts, etc. are simply not for me. For Christmas, Santa brought me a Suspenz kayak cart which in XL size can carry either yak. Easily slips right over and under the stern. (Skimmer so light that even at my age I really don't need a cart for it at all but the Tribe is another story.) Tribe already had well placed pad eyes for the Suspenz but I did have to add a pad eye with rivets just behind the seat of the Skimmer today.
What’s SWMBO?

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
Urban Dictionary - rarely ever fails

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOBBYBB1949