Some still around

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Snappers have gotten large and fun on light tackle. Most 10 and 11" now. However livelining them, at least in the backbays is now less successful. Finally caught one that was about 8" and after an hour drifting about in deeper water, a weak inhaled it. Almost unnoticeable hit. Quite noticeable fight. No weed, slight NE breeze, sunny, and almost dead low tide, and one thing I have noticed with the majority of the 30 weaks I have been lucky enough to catch this season, most have been caught when the current was slight, whether livelining or jigging bucks with Gulp.

14Sep2021  21in on snapper.jpg

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Darn things are cyclical and I did catch them last year and even less in 2019. There's still hope! For us, taste-wise they come in ahead of striper, fluke and of course blues or snappers on the q. Still tempted to go out on the boat for kingfish and blowfish before its too late. Talk about tasty !

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Darn things are cyclical and I did catch them last year and even less in 2019. There's still hope! For us, taste-wise they come in ahead of striper, fluke and of course blues or snappers on the q. Still tempted to go out on the boat for kingfish and blowfish before its too late. Talk about tasty !
I was out over the weekend with the wife on the backside of Cupsogue. Some people fishing were bringing in blowfish one after the other, just a little small for the knife. I did hear a few folks found some bigger ones back further in the bay.

I agree that you have been having a great season with the Weaks, Pequa. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Last year I was catching them regularly until the first week of October in the Peconics.

I lived through, and completely enjoyed, the absolutely spectacular run in the 70's. While we saw larger individual fish at that time I actually think the overall numbers of fish this year, at least on the North Fork, were even greater. During the "thrilling days of yesteryear" you still had to fish early morning, sunset, or after dark to score well. This year I have been catching them with great frequency at any time of day even during the mid day heat of July and August.

I know this fish is extremely cyclical but I have a hard time believing that next year will fall off again. Just too many large schools in the Bay consistently since early May. Be optimistic!!!

Reactions: longcast and pequa1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000