Southern Maine Black Sea Bass Outing

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Got a call from a fellow LI Ex-patriot who lives down in Northern Massachusetts, I mean Southern Maine, telling me he had a stumbled upon a great BSB spot. He said the tide was right today, and even with the forecasted gale force winds the spot would be fishable today, so I dragged my azz out of bed, loaded up the truck and filled the tank for the trek down south.

Fishing was excellent, but extremely reminiscent of fishing Plum Gut, especially with the impact of a strong breeze blowing crosswise across the strong tide. Needless to say that rigs were lost, but even with the miniscule drifts over the hot spots, we limited out with 13-14" fish, with a 3:1 short to keepah ratio.

Hi/Lo rigs with chartreuse Gulp were best, probably because we didn't lose that many. I started off with a diamond jig and red cod fly setup which did catch, but it was bottom bait so I ditched that after sacrificing 3 to Poseidon.

We were at it for 3 hours at full tilt and when you tag onto that 5 hours of driving, I'm getting too old for this. I'm shot; the filleting will have to wait until tomorrow...

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Good on you !! You must have been real tired to not process your fish. As I may have mentioned before "Getting Old can be hell" :sleep: ;)

Glad you caught , i had no idea they were this far up yet I thought up as far as the Piscat.

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Good on you !! You must have been real tired to not process your fish. As I may have mentioned before "Getting Old can be hell" :sleep: ;)

Glad you caught , i had no idea they were this far up yet I thought up as far as the Piscat.
Oh, I wasn't fishing local, but down south of Portland. I did catch a tiny one last year up here while codfishing, along with catching a tiny bonito on another day...

Reactions: Old Mud

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar