Surprise catch!

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I really miss those flounder. They always kicked off my season in the past.
Ditto. With mainly schoolies in my area in April, I don't even put in boat or kayak anymore until fluke season is underway. I might surfcast. Lots to do this time of year anyway. I used to easily catch dozens of flounder every April and then just before hauling again in November. did we need limits on flounder in the 70s and 80s? Or did fertilizing lawns and no sewers past Babylon do them in ?

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
Can't remember when NY flounder restrictions went into effect, I know it's been years now. Does anyone know if the restrictions have helped this fishery? Have any agencys performed any stock re-assessments to determine if size reduction and creel limits have actually helped flounder rebound? I'm wondering if these measures are enough or is it more a matter of habitat and water quality?

Jun 20, 2020
Oceanside, NY
Ditto. With mainly schoolies in my area in April, I don't even put in boat or kayak anymore until fluke season is underway. I might surfcast. Lots to do this time of year anyway. I used to easily catch dozens of flounder every April and then just before hauling again in November. did we need limits on flounder in the 70s and 80s? Or did fertilizing lawns and no sewers past Babylon do them in ?
I personally think the comorants are the main reason the flounder disappeared. These invasive birds have been chowing down on them for 20years!

Reactions: MOJOE
Jun 20, 2020
Oceanside, NY
Can't remember when NY flounder restrictions went into effect, I know it's been years now. Does anyone know if the restrictions have helped this fishery? Have any agencys performed any stock re-assessments to determine if size reduction and creel limits have actually helped flounder rebound? I'm wondering if these measures are enough or is it more a matter of habitat and water quality?
I personally think the comorants are the main reason the flounder disappeared. These invasive birds have been chowing down on them for 20years! People have said fertilizers, sewars, etc, but the flounder fishing in Jamaica Bay is horrible also and that bay has been cleaned up considerably.

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Astoria
yeah me too! I remember as a kid fishing Jamaica Bay with my dad catching 50 a trip with ease!
As I recall, ST Patrick’s day was the traditional kickoff. No size or catch limits in the early 70’s. We ’ shouda done better’ in hindsight. Lots of opinions on the demise of the Winter Flounder. But I / we ’ coulda ‘ done better.:( My thinking is different now. Here is a memory ‘ should we keep it’ yeah it’s Pan Size

Last edited:

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I remember my father bringing my brother and I to the local docks with dyed clams and we always brought a few home for dinner. Special trips were to Shinnecock Canal and the banks of the Quogue Canal. That was when he could pull together a few extra bucks for gas and extra bait. We always caught a few more and bigger fish out east. Fond memories, boy I miss him!

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
As I recall, ST Patrick’s day was the traditional kickoff. No size or catch limits in the early 70’s. We ’ shouda done better’ in hindsight. Lots of opinions on the demise of the Winter Flounder. But I / we ’ coulda ‘ done better.:( My thinking is different now. Here is a memory ‘ should we keep it’ yeah it’s Pan Size
Absolutely. If it could be fileted, it was going home. And I agree about the cormorants. when I sold my first boat around 1986, I do not believe they were here. When I returned to saltwater fishing in 95 or 96, they were like starlings. I believe Lake Erie had a program to kill them off ( ? ) Mepps still has a bounty on squirrel tails (sshhhhh), perhaps ...

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I also remember the "glory days" of flounder fishing( born in 1957) St. Patrick's Day was always the traditional kickoff to the flounder season. Fish for Fridays in lent remember? March and April the fleet would fish the Hecksher flats. The flounders always cooperated. Actually remember a trip on the old Capt. Rem Haynes from Captree on the last weekend in February. We went west in the state channel and caught a few fish that early in the season. Now a hook would rust before you caught a flounder.

The Friday after Thanksgiving was the traditional kickoff to the local cod season. My mom and sisters would head to the mall-Roosevelt Field and my dad and I would cod fish, turkey sandwiches for lunch.
The cod bite was usually a pick that early but we always had a few to take home for dinner.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
yeah me too! I remember as a kid fishing Jamaica Bay with my dad catching 50 a trip with ease!
I don't know the specifics but I wonder how that amount compares to a cormorant in a day??
I grew up in Moriches and had many days like that too.
I don't doubt that cormorants have some sort of effect but I find it hard to believe they are the MAIN reason.

I'm glad your boy got to catch that fish!! My boy has yet to ever catch one......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer43