Terrible how they're smearing Robert Moses

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Robert Moses was the greatest urban planner ever in my opinion. Beautiful Parkways and Parks the people of NY will enjoy for many years. But do an internet search and they almost always say he was racist towards minorities, he built highways thru minority neighborhoods, purposely built the bridges low so city buses couldn't pass under them. Total non sense when you think about it. Robert Moses designed Long Island in the 1930's when Nassau county had a population of 125,000 and Suffolk County another 125,000 . Virtually all our parents were born and raised in NYC and came out to Long Island in the 1950's and 1960's. The low bridges were there when NYC had a lot more White People . People like my father took the Long Island Railroad out to LI and took the bus to the beach like many city people who had no cars did. Look at all the Buses that go to Jones Beach during the summer. Crazy ! and then they say the Highways were built thru minority neighborhoods. But what about the northern and southern State Parkways that cut thru huge white areas for miles and miles ?
Robert Moses was Jewish ! Newsday ran a big story about Robert Moses like he was some horrible person. They wanna remove his name from everything named after him. This isn't political, both Democrats and Republicans should look at the facts and be equally outraged about what they're doing to that great man's reputation.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Sorry to disappoint you but you can ignore it all you want but there is some truth to what they say about him

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
The Best Drive on Long Island is going across the Robert Moses Bridge starting at Bay Shore and drive over to Fire Island and around the loop to the Lighthouse and back thru Captree back to Jones Beach and up to Merrick. Going over the Bridge over Fire Island Inlet the view of the Ocean is incredible. Thanks Robert Moses !

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Face the facts. Instead of accepting what happened and moving forward in a positive way people rather focus on the negative and erase the parts of history that they don’t like or that upset them. I always viewed history as a learning experience, either good or bad, but others in this country don’t see it that way. Pretty sad when you stop and think about it.

AllHands

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
“The first battlefield is to rewrite history.Anyone who know anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval.Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex, the ugly ones included.”
-Karl Marx

“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”
― George Orwell

• Love
Reactions: Avenger

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Face the facts. Instead of accepting what happened and moving forward in a positive way people rather focus on the negative and erase the parts of history that they don’t like or that upset them. I always viewed history as a learning experience, either good or bad, but others in this country don’t see it that way. Pretty sad when you stop and think about it.
Kinda like the whole stop the steal movement 😎

• Love
Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Robert Moses...built highways thru minority neighborhoods,
Unfortunately, at least in Manhattan, that was the case at times. That's a fact, not judgement. There's no denying his projects were important and impressive. And like any other project, they went through the path of least resistance.

Just think where Lincoln Center went up. At the time it was not so fondly referred to as "Hell's Kitchen", a tract of tenements of low income white and Puerto Rican folks, the "setting" for Westside Story.

Should he have razed a more upscale neighborhood for that critically and important project like Central Park West, etc.? There's no way that could have happened. Many of his projects were couched as "Urban Renewal". Even then, Political Correct terms were used...

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Isn't that NIMBY? Pretend that doesn't go on everywhere.
Not at all since it needed buildings torn down. It's more like NIMLR, Not in My Living Room...

And the upper crust folks would welcome Lincoln Center in their backyard, if it didn't mean tearing down their neighbors houses...

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Unfortunately, at least in Manhattan, that was the case at times. That's a fact, not judgement. There's no denying his projects were important and impressive. And like any other project, they went through the path of least resistance.

Just think where Lincoln Center went up. At the time it was not so fondly referred to as "Hell's Kitchen", a tract of tenements of low income white and Puerto Rican folks, the "setting" for Westside Story.

Should he have razed a more upscale neighborhood for that critically and important project like Central Park West, etc.? There's no way that could have happened. Many of his projects were couched as "Urban Renewal". Even then, Political Correct terms were used...
When they connected the Northern State Parkway to the Meadowbrook Parkway they wanted to cut right thru a Wealthy mans property. The rich guy had connections and the road builders went around his property and tore down white middle class homes instead. It equally affected poor whites, blacks ,Puerto Rican's. Imagine owning a home near the Southern State Parkway before it was built and then watch your peaceful neighborhood become a pit stop for the Indy 500 ? That's what it became.

Last edited:

Avenger

Well-Known Angler
“And like any other project, they went through the path of least resistance.” Could it also be because the land was “least expensive”?

That and the political and legal power of the wealthy. The LIRR wanted to elevate the Pt. Washington branch and had federal grant money to do it. But the locals fought it tooth and nail and all the funding ended up in attorney's hands.

Leftist "Progressives" would call it racist, but it's really monetist or as a synonym classist. I think it's just a harsh reality that money buys government power. If you think that can be made "fair" please let me know what fantasy power can do that?

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Kinda like the whole stop the steal movement 😎
LOL. Really? Cmon now.

Stop the steal has literally nothing to do with this. I’m talking about people removing statues & symbols because it hurts their feelings. It doesn’t matter to them that it’s part of our history. They just want to see it gone because and if you don’t agree with it you’re a: racist, bigot, etc, etc, etc.

Funny how one group wants the right to share their opinion, but this same group doesn’t want to listen to another groups option unless it fits their narrative.

AllHands

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
LOL. Really? Cmon now.

Stop the steal has literally nothing to do with this. I’m talking about people removing statues & symbols because it hurts their feelings. It doesn’t matter to them that it’s part of our history. They just want to see it gone because and if you don’t agree with it you’re a: racist, bigot, etc, etc, etc.

Funny how one group wants the right to share their opinion, but this same group doesn’t want to listen to another groups option unless it fits their narrative.
Thats because liberals aren’t really liberal….they are Marxists in liberal skin. If they could they would espouse a one party system that would destroy our culture to create a secular state where all would be equally impoverished except for the ruling bourgeoisie. Then and only then would they drop their “equity” ideology for equality.

Reactions: BennyV

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
LOL. Really? Cmon now.

You make it so easy for me
I dont have to say or type anything
Everything you say proves my point. LOL. Youare saying the exact same thing as me from 180 degree opposite angle
Thanks
🙏 🙏🙏🙏😎😎

• Haha
Reactions: BennyV and Roccus7

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
You make it so easy for me
I dont have to say or type anything
Everything you say proves my point. LOL. Youare saying the exact same thing as me from 180 degree opposite angle
Thanks
🙏 🙏🙏🙏😎😎
LOL. Thank you for proving my point as well. Which is everyone has seemed to have moved on from the election except the party that actually won the election. You guys won and yet you still are continuing to beat a dead horse. We get it a few conservatives believe the election was stolen, not all of them. The election is over, just like the sopranos. Let it go dude.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Well said Benny
Happy New Year!!
Best of luck and much success with your tackle business and health and happiness to you and your family(y)(y)(y)(y)

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nr1730