The Beat Goes On, and another First

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Been fishing with my neighbor the past couple of days and each trip has been a nice pick of 1/2 dozen stripers between 24 - 27 each day, along with 1/2 dozen of smaller fish.

Today I had a first, I caught myself!! Had a 18" fish that violently thrashed while unhooking it, embedding one of the hook past the barb in my thumb!

I had to make a decision, quit fishing and head to the ER or just yank the hook out. I decided it was time to Man Up and find out what a striper experiences when it's released.

Wasn't too bad, and I slathered on some Neosporin and stuck a Bugs Bunny Bandaid on it. I wasn't too concerned in that I got my most recent Tetanus Booster in July of 2020, a vaccine that's good for 10 years. I guess I'll be able to get out again tomorrow...

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Actually it was far less painful than I've always feared. I guess worrying about it since I was 5 years old blew it way out of proportion...
Glad it worked out. I only had a hook too deep for "beach doctor" removal once, and that was to the chin. The pain was not too bad.

Reactions: MOJOE and Roccus7
Been fishing with my neighbor the past couple of days and each trip has been a nice pick of 1/2 dozen stripers between 24 - 27 each day, along with 1/2 dozen of smaller fish.

Today I had a first, I caught myself!! Had a 18" fish that violently thrashed while unhooking it, embedding one of the hook past the barb in my thumb!

I had to make a decision, quit fishing and head to the ER or just yank the hook out. I decided it was time to Man Up and find out what a striper experiences when it's released.

Wasn't too bad, and I slathered on some Neosporin and stuck a Bugs Bunny Bandaid on it. I wasn't too concerned in that I got my most recent Tetanus Booster in July of 2020, a vaccine that's good for 10 years. I guess I'll be able to get out again tomorrow...
Glad to hear it was not an overly painful experience, Roccus.

On a somewhat related note, I had a charter customer bury one in his hand last fall on a Blackfish trip. When I told him I was going to have to cut the hook off at the shank and push it through to remove it, his reaction was the same as yours. He simply yanked the darn thing out and went back to fishing! I guess the thought of some crusty old Capt. coming at you with a pair of pliers is scarier than a few seconds of serious pain!!!

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Glad to hear it wasnt more serious Capt. Mike. The one good think about where we boat, should it have required medical attention, you can pull the boat right up to ER a few hundred yards from your slip and be in an out relatively quick.

Reactions: longcast

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000