The Onancock Chronicles the Eastern shore

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
While sailing the Chesapeake Bay In 1608, Captain John Smith proclaimed, "Heaven & earth never agreed better to frame a place for man's habitation; were it fully manured and inhabited by industrious people. Here are mountaines, hils, plaines, valleyes, rivers, and brookes, all running most pleasantly into a faire Bay, compassed but for the mouth, with fruitfull and delightsome land.

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Still trying to narrow down my escape. I was pretty set on NC .... but was searching zillow between Cape Charles and Onancock ..... one of the real estate ads had part of that quote in the description.

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
Haven't yet - but - eventually will. Only accessible by Ferry. Very small population (700+) that speak an Old English dialect that even the Brit has trouble understanding. It's gradually sinking into the Chesapeake - they (don't know who they are) give it about another 30 to 50 years before it disappears.

Two years ago we had a pretty bad February - stayed below freezing for the whole month & the Bay froze. The Army Corp of Engineers had to send out two ice breakers to open a passageway so that food & supplies & the ferry could reach the island. Ferry Service runs out of Onancock. It's about a 20 mile run to the island from the Town Wharf on Onancock Creek.

Tangier Island

1546812043657.png

1546812081901.png

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Shouldn't this be about Onacock not the whole Eastern shore?? If you gonna steal a thread at least do it right :unsure::ROFLMAO:
It was meant to be a thread about the whole eastern shore. Since we have a transplant from NY that lives on the eastern shore now, I felt it would be apropro to include his town in the name of the thread. I was not trying to steal a thread ..... only trying to create a new one concerning topics I was interested in.

Reactions: wader

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
It was meant to be a thread about the whole eastern shore. Since we have a transplant from NY that lives on the eastern shore now, I felt it would be apropro to include his town in the name of the thread. I was not trying to steal a thread ..... only trying to create a new one concerning topics I was interested in.

Guess stealing was a poor choice of words on my part We have been thru an "Onacock chronicles" thread which was all for Wader and his dealings in onacock :eek: Hell theres lots of us that live on the Eastern shore ;)

Reactions: Chevy1

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
....... We have been thru an "Onacock chronicles" thread which was all for Wader ......... ;)
Not on this forum, we haven't ...... I was enthused about the new beginnings here. I'm looking to move to either North Carolina or the Eastern Shore and was hoping this thread would not only be about Wader's adventure's there, but maybe have others who live in the area .... or are thinking about relocating there.... chime in with their experiences.

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
you live on the East Coast - never heard LI referred to as the Eastern Shore - South/North Shore - but Eastern Shore - nah.........................

:sneaky:

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
you live on the East Coast - never heard LI referred to as the Eastern Shore - South/North Shore - but Eastern Shore - nah.........................

:sneaky:

Ive never hreard of onacock as the eastern shore Then again iLL bet most here never heard of onacock until you moved there

crabby

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Let's not get into a pissing match here. The "Onancock Chronicles" were about waders exploits. That thread is Grandfathered here. If Larry wants to open the thread, its up to him. If not we can change the title of this thread to something that will not cause confusion.

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
there were some nice properties in East Point VA a few months back - backyard is the Chesapeake Bay
I saw a couple of them listed there ....... Looks like a nice area. I might be headed back down that way in the next week or two ...... I want to look at some places between Cape Charles and Onancock. I'm really focused on a place with a dock in the backyard. Looks do-able in the 275k - 350k range. Like you have pointed out before ...... property taxes are extremely low. I'm looking at like 1200 -1600 per year !

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Not on this forum, we haven't ...... I was enthused about the new beginnings here. I'm looking to move to either North Carolina or the Eastern Shore and was hoping this thread would not only be about Wader's adventure's there, but maybe have others who live in the area .... or are thinking about relocating there.... chime in with their experiences.

Feel free to Start an Eastern shore thread or I CAN rename this one