The stock market

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I got burned so badly in 2008 I virtually purged myself from the market thank goodness. Actually it wasn't my idea, but an order from The Minister of Sociality and Finance...

• Haha
Reactions: BennyV

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I have been very fortunate. While our assets have probably declined by 10% over the last 12 months, we have only touched our principal once, in 2014 when we bought our newest car. Just hoping that when we both croak, the market is back in an upswing and the sons will make out well.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
I'm getting 2.60 on 12 month CDs lost nothing....I do short term trading also long and short

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
I got burned so badly in 2008 I virtually purged myself from the market thank goodness. Actually it wasn't my idea, but an order from The Minister of Sociality and Finance...
I'm hoping this one turns around as quickly as the 2008 plunge.
Back in 2008 I used the adage "you aren't losing any money until you sell".

I had a 401K that let me move the money from one fund to another. So while all of my work colleagues bailed out selling - I stayed in with what I already had on the stock funds - stopped contributing to the fund that was mainly bonds & poured that into stocks.

Bought up a boatload of stocks at bargain basement prices & in two years all of those stocks began rebounding & my 401K sored around 2010 or so.

If you can stick it out & have extra cash - this is a buyer's paradise.
I'm no professional at all & my advice should be taken that way. It just seems to have always worked for me.

Your mileage may vary.........................

Reactions: Chevy1

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
when their is real panic and blood in the streets...I'll buy.......so far an orderly decline

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
EL was downgraded to sell by goldman sucks wader...reason for todays decline...they go from a 171 price target to 97????

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
I'm not planning on selling it. I've been holding it since its IPO. It has always climbed back & then more.

Started out with 200 shares - it split three times - paid for my daughter's college - wifey even got nearly a hundred grand worth in the divorce & I'm still holding onto over 400 shares. It ALWAYS climbs back.

Reactions: Chevy1

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
this is a stock to buy & hold for a rainy day - mine will go to my daughter either upon my death or if she gets married as a wedding gift - as a bonus - it even -pays a dividend (I roll that back into stock)

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
I worked for them for 42 years......

They went public - offered employees free stock (I think is was 5 shares for every year you worked there) then allowed us to buy into the IPO before it was offered to the markets. For years I kept hearing rumors to the effect that Wall Street was waiting for EL to go public - when it did it went off with a bang.

I kept buying through the Employee Stock Program ($100 each paycheck went toward a stock purchase).
They also awarded management Stock Grants & Options a couple of times each year.

With the Grants you had two options.

Cash it out for $
Convert it to stock - which I did. This was a great opportunity. They might issue you a grant for 200 shares @ let's say $50 a share with a month to decide what you wanted to do. During that month period the stock price may have gone to let's say $57 a share. I'd take the convert to stock option & get 200 shares that where currently trading at $57 a share for $50 a share. This was at no cost to me. For all intents & purposes - it was free stock. Never cost me a penny.

It's always been a win situation with this stock. I have no doubts that it will climb out of the basement it seems to have found itself in.

Another thing to note: when I worked there - rumors abounded that P&G was interested in buying the company. During the last 5 years or so that I worked there - more & more high (really high) level management positions were being taken over by "allegedly ex P&G management". The Lauders themselves mostly moved into "Figurehead" positions leaving the actual running of the company to the P&G expats.

The business model began to resemble what I understood to be the P&G model. I had a fair amount of interaction with P&G management at various "Trade Functions". They kind confirmed this (with a smirk of course).

So................

I do expect at some time in the future that P&G will buy or attempt a takeover of the company. Another reason to hold onto the stock.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yun